• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle not feeding right pof

tygolf2002

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2011
I went to the range to shoot my new pof and I used my rounds that I have for my bolt gun. They seemed to fit in the mag fine. I think they where to long for that type of platform. From a bolt gun they where only 2thousands off my rifling in the bolt gun. Any recommended oal for auto loaders. To run right. Using 168 grain hornady bthp.
The oal was 2.815 . Using a pmag lr 20. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Re: New rifle not feeding right pof

I had this problem before with my reloads and Hornady factory ammo. In both cases the shoulder is what I call it right below the neck wasn't push far enough back. You pretty much have to have your sizing die pushing against your shell plate . I had one or two factory loaded Hornady bullets do this as well. Use a marker and color your case with a black marker and run it back threw I bet you will see where it's rubbing the chamber not letting the bolt completely close.

Hope that helps

What specific "feeding problems" were you experiencing? Rounds not chambering? Jams while feeding from the mag? Rounds not being pulled from the mag properly?

2.815" may be a little long, but the 20LR PMAGs will generally accommodate a 2.82" COAL.

Might help to know more about how you are reloading? Sizing method (full length, neck only, etc.)? Dies used (standard, small base, etc.)? Etc.?

I am reloading using a small base full length die. It chambers fine they seem to be getting stuck by the bullet tip on the feed ramp. When coming out of the mag. They shoot great once they are in the chamber. The problem is getting them there.

Jams from feeding from mag

I read on here somewhere, a guy wrote that Sierra match kings were getting stuck on the bullet meplat when chambering. In effect, the bullet was hitting square against the feed ramp and not feeding because of the small flat surface of the bullet tip. This was found by slowly chambering a round in his rifle. He switched to A-max bullets and did not have the problem any more...

I you think it is the bullet type

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am reloading using a small base full length die. It chambers fine they seem to be getting stuck by the bullet tip on the feed ramp. When coming out of the mag. They shoot great once they are in the chamber. The problem is getting them there.
</div></div>

You might try a new mag (or mags) before you get too far out in left field trying to locate the issue. Could be mag-related or COAL-related causing the bullets to drag and nosedive some when loading. About the longest I have run from any my gassers is 2.810". Also, I assume you have checked already, but are the feedramps clean and free of burrs, etc.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read on here somewhere, a guy wrote that Sierra match kings were getting stuck on the bullet meplat when chambering. In effect, the bullet was hitting square against the feed ramp and not feeding because of the small flat surface of the bullet tip. This was found by slowly chambering a round in his rifle. He switched to A-max bullets and did not have the problem any more... </div></div>

Nonsense unless they are loaded too long (which MAY be an issue here) or are otherwise out of shape somehow. I have run several thousand SMKs from 155gr to 175gr through my P-308 without a single hiccup. May have been an individual rifle issue in terms of the way the bullets were chambering, but I wouldn't blame the bullet itself for that issue.

I misremembered the problem... Below was in relation to poor accuracy when feeding from a mag.

SMKs were smacking into the flat below the feed ramp, causing change to seating depth...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Low Sioux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will just give you my experience with an AR10 T. Same issue with groups. I found that by allowing the carrier to chamber a round slowly with me guiding it with the charging handle that the meplat on the Sierra 168 was jamming into the flat section under the feed ramp. I could actually let the round stop the carrier when I eased the carrier forward by hand. Obviously it was changing the seating depth when stripping a new round at actual speed. Rather than mess with metal work I just tried some amax' s. Problem solved. hope this helps.

Sioux
</div></div>

What mags?

I have pof and only run at 2.810" and they run fine. I have only shot out of 20rd p-mags and never had any issues.