• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New rifle!

wmn2

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
So I've been asking a lot of newbie questions lately in preparation for my first long range rifle. I bought a savage 10T cabelas special today. I'm so excited to get to the range, but have to wait for my scope until the end of the week. I got the rifle, a 20 MOA mount and two boxes of rounds for just over 700 out the door. Not the best picture, but I will post better ones when I get my bipod and scope. Going to get either the vortex pst 4x16 or the hs-t 4x16 for it and a Harris 6-9.
5eza2ute.jpg

Yes, it begins. I have a savage model 11 22-250 that is a tack driver to me. it has a cheep 3x9 on it and it's been great for woodchucks. I shot my m16 out to 500 meters for rifle qual in the Marine Corps and was hooked. I love being able to thread the needle that far. Now I want to push the boundaries.

This one only comes in .308. Good for me to get started with as well as trying my hand at some precision reloading. I bought the two boxes of ammo to shoot and start me on some once fired brass. They had absolutely nothing for brass today so I'm going to have to keep my eyes open

Congrats on the new rifle. My advice is to go with the 4-16 PSt. I originally had the HS-T but quickly realized that it was not what I wanted because i ran out of elevation. With guns I have learned that "buy once, cry once" is a good rule to live by.

hurry up and post a range report!

Thank you. Also, this is the savage with the bottom bolt release and removable magazine. It's also center feed. Does anyone know of any after market stocks and bottom metal that will fit this rifle?

Well I ended up going with the hs-t and weaver 6 hole tactical picatinny rings, medium height. I think I may go to low eventually.Here she is with scope and bipod installed. Now I just need to find some time off work to hit the range. I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I want to get a hard case so I can keep it well protected whenever I take it anywhere, and some butler creek caps.
vygepa7e.jpg

nurarenu.jpg

And another picture with the sun shade in.

Also, I will get it outside for some better, non basement pictures.

What brand/manufacturer is your 20 MOA base? I've been looking to pick one up but can't decide, looking for more options.

I put the blackhawk mount on there for now. I don't like ordering online and this is what I found local. It seems like a pretty good mount though.

I put the blackhawk mount on there for now. I don't like ordering online and this is what I found local. It seems like a pretty good mount though.

If you're going to get into this LR thing, you probably should get over any trepidation you have about ordering online...I have found many of the quality items I've used cannot be bought in a store, locally.

Nice rifle, by the way. Savage is exactly how I got started. Now, I'm staring down the barrel of damn near 20k (and that is nothing compared to what I've seen from others) in a couple of rifles/optics/gear, that I never would've believed I would have spent when I bought that first Savage.

Last edited:
Nice rifle! Those are shooters out of the box. Loaded for my buddies and it'll shoot right with my custom 700. Just my opinion, get a better quality rail. Had a blackhawk and it was NOT a true 20moa. Put an EGW rail on and I gained almost 5moa on my elevation turret. That will definately get you shooting though.

Congratulations on the new rifle. If you're going to go into reloading sometime in the future, I suggest you start doing a little research by looking in the reloading section of the "Hide". Finding components, powder and primers, can be difficult right now and it helps if you can take advantage of buying situations when products present themselves.

Semper Fi...Sig Marine

I appreciate that. I have everything to get started, except the powder and such. I have been looking locally for the powders and components I'd like to start trying, with no success. This is where my apprehension of online orderin is probably going to have to end..