• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle

MA66OT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Beaumont, Texas, USA
I currently own a Remington SPS Varmint in .308. Im trying to build a decent rifle out of it. Out of the Box it was shooting around 1MOA groups, maybe a little less. I currently have a Jewell Trigger at 1 lb, which helps my error quite a bit. I was wondering what your take is on having the barrel, actions, and bolt powdercoated. I am starting to see some surface rust and i just want to end that by powdercoating it. I work for powdercoating company, so its no big deal for me to do it. And I wonder what else I can have done by a gunsmith to make the gun more accurate. I have an H-S Precision PST012 stock on order.
thanks for your help

1002523.jpg

Re: New Rifle

haven't really experimented much with ammo. Been using 150gr Remington core-lokt because i have been hunting with this gun and I have never lost a deer with a core lokt.

A 1lbs trigger is a little light for a field gun but if it works for you. As for things to do it make the rifle more accurate:

1) start handloading
2) new stock with proper bedding job
3) run some of the tubb final finish bullets

Those are the cheap options. If you really want to spend some money you can always have the action blue printed and rebarrel with a nice hand lapped barrel.

Once your new stock comes in, bed or have it bedded...that will help out.

Hand-loading is always a plus, but if you cant, shoot the best ammo you can, and shoot often.

Thanks for the input guys. This might be a stupid question, but what exactly does bedding do. When i bought the stock, i read on h-s precisions web site that there was no need to bed the rifle, it would shoot just as well. I think i might try some of the tubbs final finish, I already have about 140 rounds trough my rifle now. Oh and I love the Jewell especially at 1 pound. I have never had a problem with it. IMO the greatest trigger and as I expand my gun arsenal every one will have a Jewell. Thanks for the help guys

Hows the weight on that remingtion? The model I looked at felt a little hefty for carrying through the woods.

Thanks,

What Bedding does is allows for a custom glove like fit for your rifles action. Even with todays CNC machinery every machined part has slight imperfections in the tolerances. So bedding accounts and corrects for this.

What you read on bedding is what is commonly said about aluminum bedding blocks. And from my experience most stocks with aluminum bedding block don't require bedding however it doesn't hurt to do it. Thus I do it anyway. It is sort of like bedding the barrel channel in a stock. All that is required for accuracy is free floating the barrel. But some like bedding it and it doesn't hurt to do so.

Well it is a little hefty, and the barrel is 26 inches, but i am a big guy and it doesn't bother me to tote it around. Its my first gun, and I love it. Plus when i put it on a bench or when i am shooting, it just lays there, you don't even feel it when u fire it off.
smile.gif

As for the powder coating, anyone done it? I was thinking of going with flat black. If anyone know of any links to pictures of rifles powder coated that would be much appreciated.

Re: New Rifle updated

Finally everything arrived here's the updated rifle
next i want to find a one piece base, and find way lower rings
[img:left][/img]
[img:left] [/img]

I see you shoot rem corelok. Dump that junk if you want it to shoot good. Use Fed Gold Medal match 168 or 175 grn. That rem stuff is some of the worst ammo for accuracy I have bought off the shelf.

Those rings look a little high? Are they comfortable for you. It would be one thing if you had an adjustable cheek rest but that is just my opinion. Other then that. It looks good. I was shooting some Rem Core-lokts yesterday and they were grouping plenty well for deer hunting. Good Luck with the rest of your build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see you shoot rem corelok. Dump that junk if you want it to shoot good. Use Fed Gold Medal match 168 or 175 grn. That rem stuff is some of the worst ammo for accuracy I have bought off the shelf. </div></div>

+1

Yer lucky to get 1" out of 150 gr off the shelf ammo. Most .308's I've owned love the 168 gr stuff.

Better, get into reloading and dial up your own loads.

Its not as hard as you might think. And the cost of entry is about $300 maybe (press, dies, scale, etc) - which you'll erase pretty quick with the price of off the shelf ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 1lbs trigger is a little light for a field gun but if it works for you. </div></div>

personally I like a 1lb trigger, it allows me when waiting for game to cross a small shooting lane to keep light pressure on the trigger then get off a quick shot w/out jerking the gun off target. YMMV

I have the exact same rifle and the Core-Loks and it prints 1-1.5" groups WITH MY LOSE @$$ behind the trigger, I think that these rifles like the Core-Loks.

I'd love to get some FGMM, but it's expensive, but the Core-Loks blow HUGE holes in a deer.

the rings are extremely tall, the base of the objective is 11/16 off the barrel. I plan on getting a one piece base and some new rings when i figure out exactly what i need to lower it within an 1/8 of the barrel. and also when i get a little cash, 35mm rings are expensive.