• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New RRA LAR 8 that needs optics! help

jakerecon

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2011
United States
Hey guys im new on here. I just purchased a new Rock river LAR 8 varmit 26 inch barrel. Im kinda stuck when it comes to the optics. I am wanting to stay under $700. I really like the trijicon accupoints. Several things that are a must... are raised turrets, Illuminated Reticle would be nice and must be waterproof. Any opinions will help. Thanks

Re: New RRA LAR 8 that needs optics! help

How far will you be shooting?

Over your price.. but I would say the NF 2.5-10x32 models. Make an excellent package.

I will be shooting mostly anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards. I love nightforce was trained on NF, just a little out of my budget, since i just dropped 1700.00 on the rifle.

If you can squeeze another 60 bucks or so out of your wallet, look at the Weaver 3-15x tactical scope.

why not look at the new Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44

they are selling for $599 at the moment.

give 264win a shout on here he is my shooting partner and will be selling one of his extra bushnell ffp scopes. he has both 3-12 and the 6x24 both are great. i used the 6x24 ffp in a match on my lar 8 2 weeks ago and it did awesome. the extra power is awesome for spotting for your teammate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It</div><div class="ubbcode-body">give 264win a shout on here he is my shooting partner and will be selling one of his extra bushnell ffp scopes. he has both 3-12 and the 6x24 both are great. i used the 6x24 ffp in a match on my lar 8 2 weeks ago and it did awesome. the extra power is awesome for spotting for your teammate. </div></div>
I concure! the Bushnell FFP scopes are VERY nice and well worth the coin.

I would suggest the SWFA SS 3-9X42. I have them on my LMT MWS and M1a NM and use them out to 800 yards on steel with no problem. They do not have an illuminated reticle but they are FFP mil/mil and very rugged. With the Hide discount you van get one for $540.00. I have a combined round count of just over 4000 rounds on rifles using mine and no problems at all.

Good luck with the RRA. I have the heavy barrel in a RRA 24" Varmint in 5.56 and was using it last week to test my SS 1-4x24 HD scope. I've baged hundreds of Prairie Dogs with it and it is still going strong.
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

ok what do you guys think about going withTrijicon 5-20x50 Matte Accupoint Riflescope With Mil-Dot Crosshair/Amber Dot. I can get it for $900. It seems like a can get a little more scope for a few hundred more. I do like the vortex and the SWFA SS 3-9X42. I know with trijicon, it comes with a lifetime warranty. Do you guys feel one beats the other??

I currently own two Vortex, three SWFA SS and one Trijicon scope and find they all are quality scopes with a life time warranty. Some people have problems with the contrast of the Trijicon amber reticles and lose them in background clutter. I have never had this problem. If the choice were mine I would stay with the SS 3-9X42 because of it ruggness and lack of a parralax adjustment.

A little out of your price range but one worth looking at is the Valdada IOR Spartan. 2-12x, illum reticle. And preset reticles available for 308 and 223 out to 800 yards. Have seen them used every now and then for around 1100. New about 1350.

ok guys i think i have decided to go with SWFA SS 3-9X42. I have done a lot of research and its everything i want and a great price. Thanks for everyones help and info. Any ideas on a quick release mount? like to stay around $100 for the mount