• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New S&B TR2ID reticle

gamewarden

Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
MN
I'm digging it.
Screenshot_20240224_094713_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20240224_095012_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20240224_095045_Gmail.jpg

I’ll be honest…I want this tree with the vertical GR2ID dots.

I'm digging it.

I like that quite a bit.

If the current prices for the new 6-36 stay in place for the tr2id version I'll be picking up at least one, even with the neutered US FOV... or better yet figuring out how to get a Euro or Aussie full FOV version here at a reasonable price. I have family friends traveling to and from Australia this year, hmmmmm...

I like that quite a bit.

If the current prices for the new 6-36 stay in place for the tr2id version I'll be picking up at least one, even with the neutered US FOV... or better yet figuring out how to get a Euro or Aussie full FOV version here at a reasonable price. I have family friends traveling to and from Australia this year, hmmmmm...
Make sure to call/message me and Ill get you my best deal 👍

Connor

Reactions: clonebuilder
FINALLY!!! Just took Schmidt ten years to get a decent tree reticle. Question is, how long will it take to actually show up in a scope, Schmidt is usually not a fast mover on these, but one can hope.

Wonder if they will have a non tree version? This one took like 20yrs to catch up to modern reticles, so probably not for a while.

Looks pretty good, thanks for the reticle sheets gamewarden!

Now if they can make a FFP version of the 3-18 Meta and slap this reticle in there too (scaled appropriately and keeping the flash dot)…Schmidt would really be cooking on new offerings. Would be another top shelf mid-weight/mid-power crossover option (of which there are very few).

Either way, new reticle looks solid. Happy to see the 6-36 shaping up to be a real first rate choice in its category.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, thanks for the reticle sheets gamewarden!

Now if they can make a FFP version of the 3-18 Meta and slap this reticle in there too (scaled appropriately and keeping the flash dot)…Schmidt would really be cooking on new offerings. Would be another top shelf mid-weight/mid-power crossover option (of which there are very few).

Either way, new reticle looks solid. Happy to see the 6-36 shaping up to be a real first rate choice in its category.
I went to the British shooting show today and discussed this with the Schmidt rep. He said they’re working on it and expect to have it ready by the end of 2024.

A missed opportunity for S&B by not keeping the vertical grid dots, however it still looks like a well designed reticle as is. It’s going to be a long wait until the end of 2024.
Some don’t like the vertical dots. GR2ID already has that so not sure what is missed?

I went to the British shooting show today and discussed this with the Schmidt rep. He said they’re working on it and expect to have it ready by the end of 2024.
Well that would be a first. If memory serves it took at least two years for the LRR-Mil to actually appear in a scope after they released specs like above, but Schmidt could definitely use a boost and this reticle could help which might encourage a quicker time to market.

Some don’t like the vertical dots. GR2ID already has that so not sure what is missed?
Probably went a little hard on the missed opportunity remark, more of a small nitpick. Some of us just wouldn’t mind another option without the 2 mil hold under on the GR2ID. As I said, it really is a nicely designed reticle.

Damn. I just bought the 6-36 on sale with a P5 reticle. This tree reticle makes more sense, but I agree with others that S&B just needed their GRID reticle trimmed a bit, that’s all. For my purposes though, I don’t have a range where I would benefit from a tree reticle.

Something I learned from purchasing a 6-36 GR2ID, is that it’s way less intrusive or cluttered than it appears when reviewing a pdf of the reticle. I was very much on the fence about it but it’s one of the best reticles I’ve used. Options are good, and I expect the new reticle to be a big hit, but it’s worth noting that there’s a big difference between how a reticle appears on paper and how it functions in practice.

So what's everyone's issue with the GR2ID again?

Every picture i've seen it basically just disappears into the background

So what's everyone's issue with the GR2ID again?

Every picture i've seen it basically just disappears into the background
My biggest prob is the crap above the main horizontal stadia. I shoot little varmints and at minimum I want a super clear view on the top half of the scope…even if the reticle is pretty unobtrusive.

Looking through the scope for 5hrs a day (or more) makes one want the most comfortable experience possible.

My biggest prob is the crap above the main horizontal stadia. I shoot little varmints and at minimum I want a super clear view on the top half of the scope…even if the reticle is pretty unobtrusive.

Looking through the scope for 5hrs a day (or more) makes one want the most comfortable experience possible.
Agree
To much above centre that distracts the eye.

Reactions: carbonbased
View attachment 8372130
Idk. Maybe im going crazy but that doesnt look busy to me (15x)
I have that exact pic on my phone and look at it more often than I care to admit…trying to talk myself into buying a 6-36 s&b.

The deal is…that photo is too low rez, zoomed out too far, and the targets are ginormous. I know it’s zoomed out too far for me because I shoot at 20x, which usually means the scope will show 10mrads in all directions. But I crank it to 27x fairly often.

The photo/scope/target size factors I mentioned work to visually deemphasize the grid in that pic.

Imagine shooting at 4”-6” brown dots upon brown dirt at 300-470yds. Any clutter screws with your eyes. My Vortex 4.5-27’s EBR-2c reticle bothers me a bit, and that is a good, really good reticle for the shooting I do.

S&B took an interesting design, the Gr2id and pared it down too much to get the Tr2id.

I mean, just look at the two monsters in the premium to ultra-premium segment, the Vortex 6-36 and NF 7-35. The former starts with a 2mrad horizontal spread at 1mil down, and the latter’s Mil-XT starts with a 3mrad spread.

Why the heck don’t these other companies copy that basic super-popular formula?

The only reason I can think of is they deem the Vortex/NF formula as “crossover”, only being good for doofs like me who shoot light calibers that get blown all over, like 204.

So the $$$ scope-makers ignore me to focus upon the effete needs of 6.5cm shooters who have no need for extensive wind holds up that high. Lol

• Haha
What I don’t get is it seems they semi-hate 6br too. Here is a 400yd pd, 15mph wind -90° with 6br Lapua 105gr Scenar-L ammo. Yellow = Tr2id reticle superimposed over the Gr2id.

A -90° wind even makes the TR2id appear a little better than it is due to aerodynamic jump effects (bullet drops more in a left—>right wind than a left<—right wind).

And it gets way windier on the flat-ass prairie!

CBE8D517-7E44-4083-8F7E-202907F5A70C.jpeg

Below is the 204 40gr ammo compared to the above Lapua (factory ammo, not reloading!). Notice the wind drift. Yeah, I know 6br drops faster so it doesn’t need near as much Xmas tree “spread” higher up, but still, if you cut me, do I not still bleed? Am I not a man? Lol

E831FB2D-EFBB-45CC-BE10-B6DB439D35D5.jpeg
66F72107-E6E0-4C32-B2E9-8F0E696EEF79.jpeg

Last edited:
In my retarded dumbo world, here’s kinda the worst case scenario for 6br 105gr, as above.

S&B hates me 😢💦

5DFEE58B-465F-4914-A989-E5F5B103DCD4.jpeg

I’ve noticed as I got more time behind the GRID ret the grid pattern “fades” into the background, it doesn’t hinder what ever your aiming at. It’s there if you need it for a hold over. That being said the TRID is high on my list, finally S&B has a decent tree ret that isn’t a Horus.

There seem to be lots of divergent preferences when it comes to reticles. I've used simple designs, basic tree reticles, and more detailed grids. They each offer tradeoffs that suit different applications - except for Tremor reticles, which are the work of satan. If you're mostly dialling it really makes little sense to give up much real estate within your potential FOV, but for anything that requires fast transitions between multiple targets and distances, it's really difficult to beat what Schmidt has done with the GR2ID.

Symmetry is possibly the most underrated aspect of reticle design, and I really noticed this transitioning between the Mil-XT (itself an excellent reticle) and the GR2ID. On paper the the GR2ID would seem to be busier than the already detailed Mil-XT, but in practise, at least for me, the GR2ID is a more seamless user experience - more intuitive, faster, simpler learning curve. The human brain is naturally adept at recognising symmetrical patterns, so it should not be a surprise that this is the case. Symmetry also appears to reduce the extent to which the unused parts of a reticle distract the eye, and the sense that the unused parts of the reticle fade away is certainly true of my experience using the GR2ID. This is an interesting demo of what's possible when your reticle gives you a lot of useful info:

I don't mind this.

I think S&B is back in the scope conversation, now that all other scope makers are inflating their prices.

The current scope market is a bit insane for pricing, IMO.

Wouldnt you want a non tree reticle if you’re varmint shooting?
I use a p3L on my 3-12 on my 204R and for long range I have a Leica PRB

I don't mind this.

I think S&B is back in the scope conversation, now that all other scope makers are inflating their prices.

The current scope market is a bit insane for pricing, IMO.
they're not only back, this scope is basically at the top or tied now.

Reactions: kthomas