• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sako Trg 22/42 A1

I would imagine that the webpage would brag about it if it did. So I'm guessing it's a no.

It seems to be a regular TRG barreled action in a "M10" type chassis. No multi caliber barrel system.
Which seems pretty nice. Although 6500$ opens up for a lot of other market options.

Not seeing anything over a Tikka Tac other then slight more robust action and probably a slightly better barrel. Sako is smoking crack if they think this thing will sell for anything over $2.5k

It says that the 308 model comes with a 26" barrel with a 1:8 twist... isn't that a bit fast for a 308?

It says that the 308 model comes with a 26" barrel with a 1:8 twist... isn't that a bit fast for a 308?
Going to guess they’ve got the specs for the .260 and .308 switched up by mistake.

Going to guess they’ve got the specs for the .260 and .308 switched up by mistake.

That may be the case however 1:8 is the new twist for 308. You will see a lot more manufactures making 1:8 308 barrels. I'm waiting to hear back if these barrels will fit the M10.

Was look at the SAKO web site and I bet the mixed up the .308 and .260 twist rate, Don't know any one that wants a 1-11 .260 barrel

I love my TRG, but it seems SAKO is always a day late and a dollar short. For basically the same price as the AI AXMC, all their offering here is a chassis. ?

I love my TRG, but it seems SAKO is always a day late and a dollar short. For basically the same price as the AI AXMC, all their offering here is a chassis. ?
Yes, at least this is a step in the right direction if its backwards compatible with the M10, barrels especially.

They must be pretty proud of the stock, it reminds me of the $3.5k they wanted for their old folding stocks. It seems to be just a TRG22 in a chassis, for $3000 more than the normal TRG22 in the standard stock. Figure the standard stock is $500-$1000, that's a $3500+ for the chassis. I thought their mag prices were ridiculous.

Buy a used TRG-22, drop it in a Gen 6 Whiskey-3 with the optional enclosed forend and you have the same functionality for probably half the price.

I must have missed the enclosed forend option. Can you point me in the direction of some info

The new Sako TRG 22/42-A1 has several features common to the TRG M10. The trigger group in the new A1 variant is the same as in the M10. Sear engagement is slightly different than the standard TRG trigger. The M10 trigger offers better drop test results. Also, the folding buttstock is the same that is offered on the M10. The M10 butt has more milled parts vs. cast in last years folding stock TRG. The M10 buttstock is stronger and more durable than the previous TRG folding buttstock. Also, a dog leg bolt handle with torx bit has been added to the new A1 variant. Lastly, it sports a new forend assembly.

Unlike the M10, the new TRG 22/42-A1 does not have the interchangeable barrel feature. Fortunately, for those not wanting to spring for the new A1 variants, production of the non folding TRG will continue:).

EJ

Last edited:
If SAKO stops producing the older styple TRG22/42 and sells entry level TRG rifles from 6-7k up, it will mean AI will grab this market segment in no time with its AT line. Roles reversal may be in process.

Reactions: SPDSNYPR
If SAKO stops producing the older styple TRG22/42 and sells entry level TRG rifles from 6-7k up, it will mean AI will grab this market segment in no time with its AT line. Roles reversal may be in process.

Yej0001,
Sako will continue making the "standard", non folding stock TRG22/42. The only thing changing is the folding stock configuration. Long live the TRG!!!!!!!!!!!!

EJ

It looks like the new Sako TRG has a folding stock to get caught on your gear and everything else when walking in the bush. It also features a freezing cold metal foreend you can't carry without gloves and no spigot to use the awesome TRG bipod. To top it off, it is 2 lbs. heavier than the old model in the same caliber.

In other words, it's a completely pointless upgrade doing what everyone else is doing which is equally pointless. But it sure looks tactical as hell I'll give you that.

Instead of making yet another extremely heavy rifle with a huge full length cheese grater along the top that is covered in freezing cold metal, why not make a precision rifle under 10lbs with ergonomics that work in the field instead of only in great weather? All of these chassis rifles are taking great simple designs and turning them into heavy unwieldy junk.

I hope they don't stop making the old TRGs. I won't be selling mine to upgrade, that's for sure.

With that said, the new Carbon Wolf looks like a nice crossover. Something that could be used for long range shooting/hunting, but with a functional and comfortable stock at a good weight .

.... why not make a precision rifle under 10lbs with ergonomics that work in the field instead of only in great weather? All of these chassis rifles are taking great simple designs and turning them into heavy unwieldy junk.

I hope they don't stop making the old TRGs. I won't be selling mine to upgrade, that's for sure.

With that said, the new Carbon Wolf looks like a nice crossover. Something that could be used for long range shooting/hunting, but with a functional and comfortable stock at a good weight .
Starting to read your post, I was going to suggest the Carbon Wolf. Many might find it lighter than they really like, though. The wood laminate Black Wolf has a little more weight.

Starting to read your post, I was going to suggest the Carbon Wolf. Many might find it lighter than they really like, though. The wood laminate Black Wolf has a little more weight.

I have a Sako TRG-S in 6.5 swede which is just a shade under 8lbs empty w/o scope and 9.5lbs with adjustable Zeiss HD5 scope and Sako rings. It is the TRG action in a much lighter stock and far cheaper price used. The Carbon Wolf looks nice, but at 1/4th the price a used TRG-S is a much better deal and the action is almost certainly better than a modern Sako 85 version. I'd suggest anyone wanting a TRG accurate rifle but without the weight of a full sized precision rifle to check it out.

The TRG-S I have is so accurate I might try it out in a competition just for grins. It would be nice not lugging around a heavy rifle and have something that can be used for hunting as well with very good accuracy.