• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage 110 Precision with Leupold Mark 5 HD won't group, what gives?

wmeyer116

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2013
Just got a new savage 110 Precision in 300 PRC, with Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25, and Mark 4 rings.

Assembled it a few days ago and torqued the rings to the base to spec, and the scope things themselves to spec per Leupold's torque sequence.

I noticed when I took the scope out of the box, I turned the magnification lever all the way to one side and I heard the scope off-gas, for about a half a second. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I imagine it is not.

I did not check the base, as I assumed it would be torqued and thread locked, as they have been in the past. I will say it does seem tight.

I'm shooting Hornady 225 GR. ELD Match ammo. Took to the range, and it would not group at all. I would get 3 shots all over, try and dial the scope, and then it would be completely all over somewhere else. Several times I would get 2 shots within 1/2", and the third would be 4" away, the only thing I did in between was press down on the elevation turret. There was no rhyme or reason whatsoever in how was shooting. I shot 20 rounds overall and just stopped.

Any ideas? I checked to see if the two action screws were tight in the chassis, and they were.

Also, do Mark 4 rings suck?

Don't assume a factory-supplied base is screwed down properly. I've mounted and/or zeroed quite a few scopes for people and more than a handful of times the factory-supplied base was not tight. This is honestly not likely not your problem, though... but the 300 PRC kicks so check.

That said... your scope "out-gased". There's gas inside the scopes so they don't fog. That gas should stay in there.

Mark 4 rings do not suck. They're excellent rings.

Take the scope off, take off the scope base, clean the top of the action, clean out the threads in the action, clean the threads on the screws, apply a teeny dab of purple (ideally) or blue loc-tite, re-install the scope base torquing the screws from inside out (or at least I do this) to ~15 inch pounds.

Then put someone else's scope on the gun, give it a go. Any scope will do. If you group, send the scope in to Leupold to be fixed or exchange it.

When you re-install your Leupold, try to have the rings sitting on top of the receiver above a base screw or close to one.

If you don't group, give Savage the gun back.

The scope base on my Savage 110 tactical came loose in 6.5 PRC, so clean the treads and torque them down good. I know I am not the only one to have a factory scope base come loose. If that does not fix it, try a different scope as stated above.

Don't assume a factory-supplied base is screwed down properly. I've mounted and/or zeroed quite a few scopes for people and more than a handful of times the factory-supplied base was not tight. This is honestly not likely not your problem, though... but the 300 PRC kicks so check.

That said... your scope "out-gased". There's gas inside the scopes so they don't fog. That gas should stay in there.

Mark 4 rings do not suck. They're excellent rings.

Take the scope off, take off the scope base, clean the top of the action, clean out the threads in the action, clean the threads on the screws, apply a teeny dab of purple (ideally) or blue loc-tite, re-install the scope base torquing the screws from inside out (or at least I do this) to ~15 inch pounds.

Then put someone else's scope on the gun, give it a go. Any scope will do. If you group, send the scope in to Leupold to be fixed or exchange it.

When you re-install your Leupold, try to have the rings sitting on top of the receiver above a base screw or close to one.

If you don't group, give Savage the gun back.
I will do this. The reason I asked about the rings was that someone on another forum said ditch the "budget" rings. I have only heard good things about them so that's why I went with them. I'm down to get more expensive rings, but didn't know if it was necessary.

Either way, I'm going to send the scope back, sounds like its screwed up.

Thanks for the advice!

Took the scope and rings off and found that the base was only hand tight, no threadlocker, and the front screw head was stripped. I ordered a badger ordinance base, so I'll see if that fixes the issue

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
Took the scope and rings off and found that the base was only hand tight, no threadlocker, and the front screw head was stripped. I ordered a badger ordinance base, so I'll see if that fixes the issue

Crossing my fingeees.

I will do this. The reason I asked about the rings was that someone on another forum said ditch the "budget" rings. I have only heard good things about them so that's why I went with them. I'm down to get more expensive rings, but didn't know if it was necessary.

Either way, I'm going to send the scope back, sounds like its screwed up.

Thanks for the advice!
In my experience, Mk 4 rings are excellent and that “someone” doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Reactions: Doc68
Fucking outstanding QC right there, eh? Sigh

• Haha
Reactions: Northernjets
DEF7DE82-9B22-4CE9-A7C8-E7D8A17FBEE6.jpeg

I got to use this twice today!

Don't be shit talking us Savage poor's......fucking kittens talking shit now.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Doc
I am a savage poor there for am qualified to shit talk on savage.
I will say this.
My savage has probably the best trigger I’ve ever felt on a savage and was on its fifth barrel I think before I had to replace the extractor and ejector.
I’ll have to check my notes.
Ole buttercup has been pew pewing steadily for a long time.
I keep it bagged up when people are around so I don’t get shamed.
809280DF-BF2C-4DD4-9B2F-C1650BFC8328.jpeg

Reactions: Doc68
I passed mine along to my son this past Christmas. His first big boy round. All others were 22lr and 223. He loves it.

Doc

Reactions: Steel head
An update for anyone still interested:

Got a badger ordinance base. I bedded the base to the action, torqued it to spec. Torqued rings to scope to spec, and rings to base to spec. Took off the bipod and shot from sand bags in a very stable position. I had groups ranging from 1” to 6.5”, with no consistency. It didn’t matter If the barrel was hot or cold. I even removed the scope and put on my Leupold MK6 from my AR, and that didn’t change anything. I just took it to a local smith, and he’s going to scope the bore. If that reveals nothing, I’ll send it back to savage.

14A41424-C5CE-4A77-A844-45B1EB3A963D.jpeg
64EEB081-5118-4364-93BD-8590BCAB655A.jpeg
6D6C85D0-98D4-4F1D-8D76-59ECEB981507.jpeg
C30758FE-E33F-40A0-B677-8CEB8C623E77.jpeg
Just got the bore scoped, it’s definitely the barrel. My gun smith said it had these rings the full length of the barrel, and these pics were taken about 2” apart. It’s comical, really.

Barrel doesn't look like it was finished...

Inside of my Savage 12FV barrel doesn't look like that!

I called them and they sent me a shipping label. if they take care of me and fix it, I can’t expect much more. We’ll see.

Sucks, I consider myself lucky with 2 Sauvages (French accent please) that both shoot puckered rectums.

I called them and they sent me a shipping label. if they take care of me and fix it, I can’t expect much more. We’ll see.
Sorry to hear about your experience.
I guess there's going to be some QC issues with any manufacturer that sell's over six hundred thousand bolt action rifles a year, but there should've been a little better QC attention with a precision branded rifle.
I hope to see/read some good news from you after it's return.