• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Savage 116 30-06 w/ accustock- scope recommend

Coyotehawk

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
Just purchased a new Savage 116 FCSS in 30-06. Looking now for a scope, rings and base. Anyone have any suggestions for a scope in the 350-450 price range?

Also, any suggestions in what rings and base to look in to as well. I've read a few posts on different forums that talk about the spread of the mounting screw holes so don't wanna jump on a base without knowing it will fit. Anyone have this rifle that can give some recommendations?

Appreciate all the expertise.

Re: New Savage 116 30-06 w/ accustock- scope recommend

I have a Leupold VXI on one of my rifles, but I don't know if they still make them. They have one of the best warranty's in the business. It has proven to be a real good scope for the money. I am not a fan of Nikon or Bushnell, but they may have something in your price range.

I like picatinny rails for bases. They give you many more options. EGW (Evolution Gun Works) makes some decent ones at reasonable prices. Burris makes some decent rings for a reasonable price.

Some others may post with better suggestions for your budget. I am just giving some things to consider.

Make sure you get a long action scope base. Also, Savages are either round-back, or flat-back, which will affect which bases you need.

I like TPS rings.

Viable scopes in that price range are the Midway exclusive Vortex Viper HS 5-15x and the SWFA SS series.

I'm lookin at either a leupold mark III or a bushnell elite 3200. Any knowledge of the two?

Lately Leupold has not impressed me. I have had trouble with the last two I have owned. Bushnell is not my first choice but everyone says they stand behind their product. I personally have had great luck with Nikon. Before switching to some higher end scopes I shot the Nikon 6-18 buckmaster with target turrets. I loved the glass and they could dial with the best of them.

A friend of mine has a Mark III and loves it. I shot with it several times and it is a quality scope. I was impressed with the glass.

EGW makes a nice base. You will need a long action Savage base with the round back. I don't know the nature of your shooting, or how far you want to stretch it, but you might as well get the model with 20 MOA angle. As for rings, I have had great success with Burris XTR's. There are a lot of good ring choices out there, you may want to search this site to make up your mind of that subject. Lastly, scope choice is going to be very subjective. You have to decide what you want to do with the gun, and pick one that suits your needs. That said, I would pick the best Vortex scope I could afford that suited my needs. Vortex has the best warranty in the scope industry. Again this is just my opinion, as there are many nice scopes in your price range. I would also look at the optics classified section here for a gem of a scope in your price range.