• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage 338 Lapua

Re: New Savage 338 Lapua

I'll take a TRG-42 any day because it fits me. I wasn't overly impressed with the average groups either, especially the Corbon loads...that ammo is good stuff. Stock looks like a version of Mcrees with a Magpul cheekpiece, not exactly a beauty contest winner but fit and function matters more than looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys serious? When did shooting ever become a beauty contest!? This is ridiculous... </div></div>

when you're in the process of designing something there's two choices when making it function in a certain way:

1. make it function well and look like crap
2. make it function well and look great

That stock is totally out of place and doesn't fit with the rest of the gun. It's like they forgot about the stock and then threw that thing on at the last minute.

And if given the choice between two equally accurate rifles for the same price are you telling me you'd choose the ugly one over the good looking one? Come on... </div></div>

precisely.

i dont think anyone says 'its ugly' and means 'its not pretty'
i think people are reacting badly to it looking like totally afterthought cheap tacticool shit.

and if that doesnt matter to someone, i envy their low standards. must make life alot easier.

</div></div>

Doesn't mean I have low standards. It just means my priorities when it comes to shooting is different than others. Accuracy first, aesthetics last... The target does not care if your shooting your purrttyyy ass rifle or a butt ass ugly Savage now does it? Hmmm...

I think in Australia this rifle will be popular...

Over here the American rifles are the cheapest in regards to cost, and even then, we pay soooooo much more than what you guys in the states do.

Remington 700P MLR .338 $2450 AU
Savage .338 $3300 AU
Sako TRG42 .338 $6700 AU
Barret .338 $8900 AU
AI AW .338 $13000+ AU

When you look at those figure, who cares if she doesnt look the best, because if im walking away with $3300 change when compared to its next highest model... Well for some, $3300 is a lot of cash.

The shelf grip is great for long distance shooting. I use it on two other rifles. Yall need to try it. It gives you a lot more control on steadying it because you can place weight down on the shelf.
Maybe I am just weird, but the 110 looks beautiful to me. Someone said the AR-30 looked better...seriously?
laugh.gif

Savage may have erred in the pricing of this rifle, Rem, $1100, Savage $2000, TRG42 $3000, if its to compete in this market it probably should have been priced closer to the Rem, just my two cents.

Would like to hear more as to why you feel this way. Two COMPLETELY different rifles the way I see it. The remmy is lacking in the tactical bolt handle, has a muzzle brake about as useful as tits on a bull, no barrel fluting, no scope rail included, a standard Monte Carlo style stock, and no attention to action truing(according to the American rifleman review, the savage received more attention in this area than just slamming a bolt into a receiver).
And the stock is completely different on the savage, being modular with adjustable lop and comb.
With the Remington, by the time you added a muzzle brake worth a shit, a stock with the same adjustments, a scope rail, and a larger bolt handle, you'd be HUNDREDS over what the savage offers. And, FWIW, I got my 110 BA for $1725, not $2,000...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to hear more as to why you feel this way. Two COMPLETELY different rifles the way I see it. The remmy is lacking in the tactical bolt handle, has a muzzle brake about as useful as tits on a bull, no barrel fluting, no scope rail included, a standard Monte Carlo style stock, and no attention to action truing(according to the American rifleman review, the savage received more attention in this area than just slamming a bolt into a receiver).
And the stock is completely different on the savage, being modular with adjustable lop and comb.
With the Remington, by the time you added a muzzle brake worth a shit, a stock with the same adjustments, a scope rail, and a larger bolt handle, you'd be HUNDREDS over what the savage offers. And, FWIW, I got my 110 BA for $1725, not $2,000...</div></div>

Amen! Well said..

My $1100 (more like $1300) Remmy needed all those things...

Honestly, you paying $1725 for a Savage is pretty cheap compared to what folks are actually paying for them, look around some other sites and see what folks are paying. And yes when there was a run on the Remmys folks were paying over market, by the way the price on a Remmy is about 955 from Davidson's. As for some other points,
Tactical bolt handle, well thats not a huge issue is it, (I tried a few before I found the one I liked to use)
Muzzle brake, well Savage owners are saying its efficent, I will leave it at that,(how many folks will change it out anyways)
Trued action, Savage says they true it to .002, well I believe them
Barrel fluting, to cool the barrel or lessen the weight, you decide.
Scope rail, great idea, but as for those rails on the side, really what are they going to used for, better to have put them on the bottom for a bipod, also lots of talk about the rails not being true to the receiver.
The stock well it works for some not all.
Its not cheap to shoot the 338LM not even if you reload, the Remmy offered folks a cheap way to this caliber, a 1000 bucks and you are off and running, if Savage had introduced this rifle without all the bells and whistles, I think it would have gotten a better shot in getting a slice of the pie. By the way this is my two cents,
Marty

Well, if you're looking to shoot 338 lapua, at anywhere from $3-6/round initially, then pinching pennies on the gun becomes less of a concern. The remmy is more of a rifle to build on, and would likely take another $1k+ to get it to where I want it. The savage is already about where I want it. IMO, it is a lot of rifle for the $ and a great value. Its style is not to everyone's liking but it suits me. As for claims of problems with the savage, well, if I do have a problem with mine I know savage will make it right.
Like I said though, two different rifles entirely that are not meant for comparing.

LUCKY ME!

my local sportman's club is having a Savage day, among the few higher end models they are bringing, the 110 ba w/ nikon monarch scope will be one of them in .338 lapua, using hornady ammo.

my favorite three things!

I have a BAT with a Magpul PRS II stock. the weapon is very accurate (3/8 to 1/2" groups if I do my job)and I like the way it looks. The pistol grip "doughnut" assures that my hand is always in the same location and position with no adjustment every time i get behind the weapon and is a great pad when firing off the bi-pod using the right hand for elev. The side rails may be a "tacticool" thing, but KAC is using them in the SR25, Barrett on the 98bravo, etc so either savage is following a trend or there is a purpose. for myself I have bullet flight software on a Ipod attached with a KAC mount to the left side rail. No i would not carry this setup back in my service days with the Ipod shinning, but at the range with the data from the Kestral and the newest load that I am doping i can enter the data and get very good results at any range. yes you can do the same on paper and maybe this is just "cool". If thats the case then thank God i'm not so much of a hard ass to still enjoy the cool stuff. having said all this I cannot wait to get my hands on a BA and put it through the paces.

Agreed. I'm not looking to use this gun to hunt, but rather to put a hurtin' on steel and various fruits and other objects at 1200 yards and beyond. I like the way the gun looks, like the pistol grip, consider the heavy weight an advantage, as I like to reduce recoil in any way when possible. And the designers spent almost as much time designing the muzzle brake as they did the rest of the gun to achieve maximum efficiency which is also a plus.
The remmy is too light and the muzzle brake looks worthless. 338 lapua packs quite a punch - firing 50 rounds of it on an outing out of a lightweight gun would make it stop being fun after about 10 rounds, if that, IMO...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome. Get pics and let us know how she shoots..</div></div>

already thought about it, hopefully will have something by sunday posted. the club had a meeting last night, and there she was on display, i had to put my paws on it.

VERY heavy rifle, even much heavier than it looks. by the way it's put together, it has a no nonsense approach to it. the brake is really big, the ports are nicely designed - cut down about halfway and recessed enough that the blast seems to be directed to the 10:00 and 2:00, even closer to 11:00 and 1:00 positions. between the brake and the weight, i'd have to believe the recoil is tamed considerably.

the whole thing felt solid, an nice flat black finish to everything, the fluted barrel had a finish that resembled a well used "black cast iron type stove" or wrought iron.

the only thing i seen wrong is that the rednecks there must have mounted the scope, as the crosshairs wher quite canted. the furthest range they have there is 300 yards, i hope someone took the time to get it close, and that the canted crosshairs aren't going to screw it up.

the bolt and knob looked to be weel constructed and finished well, and the scope base apparatus (now that i've seen it in person) seemed to be a bit of overkill, but i guess i figured if savage is going to do it, might as well over do it. i like the "panther" target pistol grip, and like the idea that it can be swapped out if you wanted to, just like the rear stock that has adjustable LOP and cheek rest.

it has the form and fit of a rifle twice the price, and coming from the factory retains the warranty, and no long waits from the gunsmith. i just hope the function is "all that", but it being a savage, i'm sure i will not be disappointed. if i had a little over 2 grand to use for another rifle, this probably would be it, or one of it's little brothers in .308, just on features alone. hope it shoots as good as it looks and feels.

I like that you are impressed with it. I actually have mine on layaway from northland shooter supply. It was supposed to be a 60 day deal but I'm getting too excited about it. I worked all my days off this payperiod, so I will be paid in full next week!
Since you've had your hands on one, can you tell me if a 50mm scope would fit with low rings? I have a nightforce that I share amongst my current rifles and was hoping to be able to use it on this gun without having to change rings...
One option, I guess, would be to ditch the overkill rail in favor of a standard rail. Or worse case scenario would be to get another scope...

i'll take a closer look at it tomorrow, snap some pictures and take some measurements, particularly of the objective and rings. (and the target)

i just did a search, it appears the 6-24x monarch is a 50mm objective, but i'll make sure of the setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to hear more as to why you feel this way. Two COMPLETELY different rifles the way I see it. The remmy is lacking in the tactical bolt handle, has a muzzle brake about as useful as tits on a bull, no barrel fluting, no scope rail included, a standard Monte Carlo style stock, and no attention to action truing(according to the American rifleman review, the savage received more attention in this area than just slamming a bolt into a receiver).
With the Remington, by the time you added a muzzle brake worth a shit, a stock with the same adjustments, a scope rail, and a larger bolt handle, you'd be HUNDREDS over what the savage offers. And, FWIW, I got my 110 BA for $1725, not $2,000... </div></div>

+1

I could see someone comparing the AR30 and the savage, but the Remmy? Pleeeaassseeeee. Someone is having buyer's remorse they bought too soon or what? In researching the Savage, I emailed someone that owns a major tactical arms business. He knows a lot about this niche of the market. He couldnt have said it any better. His reply below:
<span style="font-style: italic">
I would say that Savage is one of the best values in the entire industry. They outshoot rifles costing hundreds/thousands more.</span>

BTW.. I am picking the beast up tomorrow. The price was not anywhere near $2000. Try $1650(w/o taxes).
wink.gif
If yall havent already seen it..here is a really good close up youtube video of her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUI67HUhS4

Hey guys new guy here. I just got mine in the mail today. paid $1875 and really like the set up. Make sure you loctite your mount screws. I got mine in an un opened box Im sure alot of guys may buy em off the shelf and who know how they were put together.
I do have to say the Comp is really good at its job. I put 40 rnds down range and could have put a ton more with ease.

The barrel does have a nut. The bolt raceway is loosey goosey but fine. the magpul stock feels odd and may be replaced with something else.

Great gun for the $$$ I did shoot under an inch on this first outing with Hornady brass 300smk and 93gr retumbo 2770avg

338.jpg

Mikeone -- cool paint job!! Duracoat?

I really like my 110BA! Money well spent.

I finally got to shoot one of the new whiz-bang 110 model Savages this week at my cousin's property in the mountains, but it was the .300 WM rather than the .338. Topped with one of my Bushnell 3200 10Xs. He had just picked it up and we shot it right out of the box after a quick cleaning, torquing everything down, and mounting one of my Bushys on it - he hadn't even bought a scope yet. We cleaned it after zeroing at 100 paces (my 100 yard pace is almost exactly 100 yards) and fired the cheap - but good - factory ammo he had in five shot groups at 100 and 150. It was easily sub MOA with Federal PowerShoks, and was way under on a couple of the groups. I haven't shot much in the last few months due to work and school so I wasn't expecting miracles, especially considering the quickie setup and cleaning and the lower end ammo. I'd imaging it would easily shoot .5 or better when properly setup, with good ammo, and with more practice. Quick observations:

1. Not as heavy as I expected. Didn't have the kind of heft it looked like it would (nothing near a Badger M2000 with a 20" no-taper pipe
laugh.gif
)

2. Was able to shoot unsupported fairly well, decent balance, surprisingly enough.

3. Will be a very, very accurate rifle once broken in and set up properly with a bipod (we had to use <span style="font-style: italic">real </span>sandbags).

4. Trigger was awesome, of course. Typical AccuTrigger ... very clean, light break with almost no noticeable over-travel - hope it doesn't keep uncocking like mine.
frown.gif

5. Recoil was quite tolerable. Having gotten rid of my M70 .300WM cuz it was a beast, I can safely say the brake works very well.

6. It is ugly as hell. I mean seriously hideous.

7. The side rails would be useless weight for most people. Strange thing to put on a precision rifle, imho. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

8. Action was smooth like all the heavy tactical Savage actions I've worked, with no grit or grind.

9. Did I mention it was ugly?

I may get to shoot it again once deer season opens up, and if so I'll make sure I bring the guy a range finder, some high end HPBTs, and I'll get pics.

I've posted these on other posts, but it fits here too.

The more I shoot it, the more I like it!

100_0311.jpg

The top of the ridge or mesa is close to 900 yards. About 3 mils down and 1/2 mil left is a reduced size IPSC target at exactly 770 yards.

This gun will hit that easily all day long...and did. Need more distance. Lots more.

100_0314.jpg

Sometimes you all sound like a bunch of women at a wallmart jewelry counter.
Do you buy pretty screwdrivers and floor jacks?
Cute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mikeone -- cool paint job!! Duracoat?

I really like my 110BA! Money well spent.</div></div>

Nope just $6 Krylon, works great on all my guns. No need for me to spend more $$ on shit thats just gonna wear off anyway.

Lookie what I did today.

338bp-2.jpg

338bp.jpg

338hg.jpg

Check your bolts! The main receiver bolt was loose as hell.

Any one know the TQ specs Savage recommends? (Front rec to stock)

I also shot a 3/4 in 5 shot group with 250s today at 2930fps avg (100yd)

Im very happy I got this heavy ass blaster. Deer season is gonna

be special this year!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LUCKY ME!

my local sportman's club is having a Savage day, among the few higher end models they are bringing, the 110 ba w/ nikon monarch scope will be one of them in .338 lapua, using hornady ammo.

my favorite three things!
</div></div>

unfortunately the .338 ammo didn't show, but they did have alot of .300 win mag...

SAVAGE 110 BA REVIEW .300 WIN MAG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6. It is ugly as hell. I mean seriously hideous.
9. Did I mention it was ugly?</div></div>
Gotta say they you are entitled to your opinion, but I happen to think it is one SEXY rifle - if it had a big enough hole on it somewhere, no tellin' what I'd do to it, LOL! J/K...
IMO, It's the rail that kills it - looks better with a standard rail:
2010-08-12175852.jpg

2010-08-12175807.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6. It is ugly as hell. I mean seriously hideous.
9. Did I mention it was ugly?</div></div>
Gotta say they you are entitled to your opinion, but I happen to think it is one SEXY rifle - if it had a big enough hole on it somewhere, no tellin' what I'd do to it, LOL! J/K...
IMO, It's the rail that kills it - looks better with a standard rail: </div></div>

I love my Salvage. I almost bought a 10 BAT/S back in the Spring but couldn't find one to try out so decided to save for a custom. And I really liked the 110BA. It's just ugly to <span style="font-style: italic">me</span> mainly because of the rail and stock, it just doesn't have the sexy lines of an AICS . But I don't need my tools to be pretty. I'll shoot 'ugly' all day.
laugh.gif

The pics with the rail off really make a difference looks-wise, btw. Thanks for posting that.

110 looks great without the crazy rail system. The butt stock looks a little funky, but I think it's still a great deal for the dollar.

Shooting 338 isn't cheap, even if you reload. Better get the biggest bang for you buck. lol

Took my BA apart, ditched the wedge and bedded it...
Prepped the stock - made it really easy by taking the stock apart:
IMG_20100826_200740.jpg

Took a dremel to it to rough it up, but It probably didn't need it:
IMG_20100826_200709.jpg

Front view. A little tape to hold back the epoxy, cut to match the contour of the barrel:
IMG_20100826_200757.jpg

Action prepped. I use shoe polish like everybody else, but I back it up with some aerosol spray release agent:
IMG_20100827_163615.jpg
IMG_20100827_163551.jpg

I used Devcon, and even though I was pretty sure I'd have plenty of time to work with, I still got in a big hurry and forgot to take the assembly pics, but here's the finished product, with the magazine well relieved and the rest of the bedding trimmed:
IMG_20100828_190804.jpg

IMG_20100828_190815.jpg

Thanks. Gonna shoot it tomorrow. Not necessarily to test the bedding job but loads. I want the bergers to work so that's all I'm loading, and all at may length to start. My biggest concern is still heavy bolt lift so I hope I can get rid of it.

The 10 days just started today on my 10FCP-K, and I'm already really wanting this 110BA. Looks like a great buy, I'd end up removing the wild rails and swap the butt stock. Everything else looks perfect though.

It is 3.850" from OUTSIDE EDGE TO OUTSIDE EDGE...like that measurement means anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is 3.850" from OUTSIDE EDGE TO OUTSIDE EDGE...like that measurement means anything.</div></div>

LOL I guess only for mag pouches. The lands start at 3.730ish on mine. The bolt prob stopped when I lowered my retumbo charge to 92 and ran the bullets longer from 3.68 to 3.725 with 300smks. Still getting 2725fps avg. I can run 250s at 2950 no prob with the bolt.

The more I shoot this thing the more I like it. LOL I am gonna put a real recoil pad on. My shoulder looks like it has braille on it from the magpul pad next to the bigg ass purple blotch.

What brass? I'm still getting heavy bolt lift at 89 grains with the Berger 300 and hornady brass.

Weird. I wonder if its the bergers. Regardless, I just ordered some lapua brass. If it doesn't allow me to approach Max load ill be on the horn with savage.