• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Savage 338 Lapua

jwn8552

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
Center Ossipee,NH
Anyone see the article on "Accurateshooter.com" in the DailyBulletin about the new Savage 110BA? 300winmag and 338Lapua mag.

Re: New Savage 338 Lapua

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone see the article on "Accurateshooter.com" in the DailyBulletin about the new Savage 110BA? 300winmag and 338Lapua mag. </div></div>
110ba.png

Model: 110 BA
Series: Law Enforcement
AccuTrigger: Yes
Sights: Scope rail - mount 20 MOA elevation, #8-40 screws
AccuStock : Yes
Magazine: Detachable box
Stock material: Aluminum
Barrel material: Carbon Steel
Stock finish: Matte
Barrel finish: Matte
Stock color: Black
Barrel color: Black
Action: Long

#18901 300 WIN MAG: 1 in 10", 26", 6 shot cap., 50.5" 15.75 lbs 6 $2267.00
#18900 338 Lapua: 1 in 9", 26", 5 shot cap., 50.5" 15.75 lbs 5 $2267.00

Would be nice if they offered a 27" or 28" 1:9", but damn, that rifle is rockin' for <$2300 MRSP. You know that they'll be down to $2000 on the street. It's ugly, IMO, but it'll make a dent on the competition if it shoots.

Chris

It's a Savage, it'll shoot. Maybe not as well as an AI, but at a third the price it'll be popular.
Patrick

I am waiting for my gun shop to bring one in. If it is as good as I think it will be I will buy one. Next closest one would be the trg 42.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh lord, someone make an aftermarket stock for that STAT. </div></div>

confused.gif
Wowzerz that thing is ugly!

The buttstock looks like a mutated Magpul PRS. I also think that M4 style buttstocks on bolt action rifles and shotguns are fugly. Plus on shotgun, they all seem to be pointed at an awkward downward angle.

Beauty is beheld in X's! :) That said, I do prefer the TRG! Of course I couldn't be more biased.

Savage is watching, listening, and creating some serious firearms right now. Any company that goes to a competition with out of the box rifles and takes home 9 Gold Medals is doing something very right! Good to see an American Company doing this.

For a turnkey factory platform in these kind of calibers I think it's spot on the money. The stock looks terrible but the price is definitely right, I have a hard time thinking that it won't shoot.

I'd probably buy one if I was in the market for a 338 LM rifle.

I'll stick with my TRG42's at $2300 to $2500.

If they were going with the pistol grip and AR style rear stock why didn't they just put a port in the chassis to accept standard AR stocks?

Longrangehunting.com is in the process of receiving the Savage 338LM for what I believe will be the first published review of this rifle. It will also be topped with the Vortex Razor which I would imagine is also being reviewed. From the info that I received the review should be done in a month or so +/-.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stick with my TRG42's at $2300 to $2500. </div></div>

is that what they retail for in the states?

$3200.00 is about as cheap as I have seen a TRG42. Where are you finding them for $2300.00?

That Savage will sell, but for no other reason than it will be dead nuts accurate out of the box. They are indeed, putting out some damn fine shooting arms over the past 10+ years as well as at least listening to the buying public. I too am glad that they are an American company!

Someone should take one and mill off all that extra railing, bet it would look pretty good...

i would like one. at first glance it isnt that ugly but after closer looking it gets kinda funky looking.

One way to make your gun uglier, put a Ergo grip on it. I have no clue what the hell that thing on the bottom of the grip is suppose to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here you go
http://pdccustom.com/

</div></div>

neither one is too excessively pretty. thats the way the bat/s and bat/k? whatever look. the reviews of that were decent. its just a chassis stock for a long action right? should be able to put it an anything that a standard long action will fit in. if they sell a base version in a tupperware stock, you should be able to get it cheap enough to restock.

that thing on the grip is a palm shelf. they have them on alot of the target style pistols in 10m shooting. someone somewhere must have been the first and then everybody copied. it was on H&K PSG-1 super and countless other examples im sure

I like Savage rifles, BUT that is one ugly ass rifle.

Looks ok to me.

Perhaps the side rail isnt needed.

Are you guys saying it looks ugly because it has a Leupold scope on top?

laugh.gif
LMFAO

eh, its not that bad... The rear of the stock looks like its a little slim, but besides that it looks pretty scary.

Looks better than a Blaser or Armalite, if you ask me.

That stock looks like a team of engineers tried to incorporate every tacticool feature known to the shooting world....into one stock.

Are you guys serious? When did shooting ever become a beauty contest!? This is ridiculous...

I just ordered the 10 flcp-k in 308 from the custom shop could I have ordered in the 338 Lup?

I have done a lot of reading on the 338 I just ordered a 10 flcp-k from the custom shop. Do you know if I could have ordered it in the 338 or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One way to make your gun uglier, put a Ergo grip on it. I have no clue what the hell that thing on the bottom of the grip is suppose to do. </div></div>

It's to keep your hand from slipping off when yer workin' it, sort of like the head...... NVM lol

Barf. Its fugly. And my Savage shoots sub half inch 100 yard 5 shots groups. Its factory, except for the stock.

You guys are hilarious.

There is NOTHING uglier than the Tubbs 2000 but I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what it has to offer.
crazy.gif

The real question here is what does it feel like when you crawl in and settle into it. Could be the surprise of your life.

I may have own one of these. If I do, it will be my first Savage.
grin.gif

It may be ugly but I bet it will be popular. Looks like the ergonomics match a Magpul PRS equipped the AR-10(15) and has additional well thought out designs including the AI mags and MIRS type rail. American Rifleman had a review (just got it yesterday) and it looks like it will shoot too.

If I didn't have a full on custom in the works I would give it a try and put the other $2000 I'm spending on the custom towards ammunition. As the average tactical shooter, I would find it hard to justify the price tag for a custom if it only theoretically improves the group sizes .2 or .3 MOA. Particularly when I could spend the money theoretically improving my ability to drive it instead.

Glad to see Savage continuing to innovate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys serious? When did shooting ever become a beauty contest!? This is ridiculous... </div></div>

when you're in the process of designing something there's two choices when making it function in a certain way:

1. make it function well and look like crap
2. make it function well and look great

That stock is totally out of place and doesn't fit with the rest of the gun. It's like they forgot about the stock and then threw that thing on at the last minute.

And if given the choice between two equally accurate rifles for the same price are you telling me you'd choose the ugly one over the good looking one? Come on...

It really doesnt look that bad... but thats just my 0.02

When it comes to adding a pistol grip you really arent left with much room in the way of the stock, as you can tell in this design... theres really no room for anything else unless Savage removed the pistol grip.

I think the design will grow on people... and I think the pistol grip will help tame the recoil for some by forcing recoil up the arm and into the shoulder, compared to just taking a butt pad to the shoulder in most conventional designs.

My american rifleman mag just did a review on it. 300 yards with diffrent factory ammo was arouns 2.75-4.00" 5 shot groups, I think? They said that when shooting 1000 yards team savage was shooting .5 MOA while author was still holding or just under 1 MOA

At 1000 yards are they still using factory ammo or reloads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys serious? When did shooting ever become a beauty contest!? This is ridiculous... </div></div>

when you're in the process of designing something there's two choices when making it function in a certain way:

1. make it function well and look like crap
2. make it function well and look great

That stock is totally out of place and doesn't fit with the rest of the gun. It's like they forgot about the stock and then threw that thing on at the last minute.

And if given the choice between two equally accurate rifles for the same price are you telling me you'd choose the ugly one over the good looking one? Come on... </div></div>

precisely.

i dont think anyone says 'its ugly' and means 'its not pretty'
i think people are reacting badly to it looking like totally afterthought cheap tacticool shit.

and if that doesnt matter to someone, i envy their low standards. must make life alot easier.

I spoke to Steve Danneker, the main guy behind the design of the rifle, yesterday. The stock incorporates the accu-stock system for the receiver. Ugly? Compared to what? Looks like a reasonably functional tactical stock. I think the gizmo at the bottom of the pistol grip is supposed to be a poor man's butt spike....maybe.

So, I ordered one...well under $2K. How can you beat that?

Yeah, it's not the best looking rifle, but like said before it will probably shoot great. I might have to find someone who is going to buy one so I can shoot it and see, and if it shoots great I just might pick one up. Anyone in the CT area thinking of grabbing one?

Not a bad buy if you just gotta have .338LM but frankly, I wasn't impressed by the accuracy results in Rifleman Mag... FWIW

John

I talked to Ron, at Benchmark Barrels, and it would set you back another ~800 for getting one of their SS, stress-relieved 28" lapped barrels, with a brake, and fluting. That's with mounting.

After I burn out the stock barrel, or if the accuracy is not consistent, that's my plan.

I agree, 1 MOA isn't really good enough, but Danneker said he was pulling groups less than .9" at 300 yds. I believe that was with factory loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F-8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, I ordered one...well under $2K.</div></div>

Mind if I ask where?

The Savage Arms website (www.savagearms.com) has a Dealer Locator tab at the top of their homepage. It will give you the contacts for dealers in your area. I called a couple, and found both to be way under the MSRP. If you have trouble in your neck of the woods, let me know and we'll order two from my contact.

Chip

Forgot to mention, they won't actually be available until sometime after the end of the month...hopefully by mid-March.