• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage MK II BTV and First Trip to the Range

mjammer

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Long time lurker and decided to finally take the plunge and picked up a Savage MK II BTV and added a Bushnell 3200 10x Mil-Mil scope, EGW 20 MOA rail, Burris Xtreme Rings, and Caldwell Bi-Pod. Today was he first outing with the rifle and the first time in a long time shooting rifle. It sighted in pretty quick at 25 yards, last group 0.43" and then moved out to 50 yards to sight it in there with the best group at 0.62" on this target (had a 0.54" on another target). This was shooting CCI Mini-Mags today in ~70 degree calm sunny weather.

Had a great time an very happy with the rifle and setup. Now I just need to get some practice time and some good standard velocity ammo.

Attachments

• Rifle.jpg
    Rifle.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 28
  • 25yd Tgt.JPG
    25yd Tgt.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 50 yd Tgt.JPG
    50 yd Tgt.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Mine prefers subsonic ammo - various SS HP loads, the low end target stuff (Wolf, SK Magazine, CCI SV, Norma TAC-22).

Typically they take about 350-500 rounds to "break in". Also, mine likes 20-25 rounds of new ammo down the barrel when changing before it will really show the potential for whatever you are testing

That's what I have heard. I have some CCI SV on order and am trying to find some others to try if they are priced like they are gold plated.

I agree with ivanthesane, get some low end subsonic ammo (if you can find it these days) and test it. My son's shot very well with Eley Sport, Aguila, CCI SV, Fed 710B Gold Match,,, you pretty much name it and the SS performed very well from ranges 25 to 200 yards. Many members here with the Savage MK II BTV got great results with the Wolf and SK Standard. This is a damn fine rifle!

Many people seem to have luck with cci sv and this gun. Mine performs better with a warm barrel, so 5-10 rounds down the pipe to heat it up then the groups shrink.

Round 2 at the Range

Well I finally got some better ammo. Tried out SK Standard Plus today and much better. Attached are a couple 50 yard targets I tried for the 6 groups of 5 once I got it dialed in. Weather was ~55 with a 5-10 MPH NE wind (over left shoulder) shooting off the bipod and a rear sock bag. Average of #1 is .739" with a best group of .354" and #2 is .772" and a best of .458" Still have a lot of work to do to get consistent but I can see the potential and also will have to order more of the SK Std +. I'll try at 100 yards next time to be sure the rifle likes it first. I also have some CCI SV to try after I get done with the SK ammo.

Attachments

• SK Std + 6 Group Tgt 11-Oct-2014.jpg
    SK Std + 6 Group Tgt 11-Oct-2014.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 30
  • SK Std + 6 Group Tgt #2 11-Oct-2014.jpg
    SK Std + 6 Group Tgt #2 11-Oct-2014.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 23