• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage Mk11 custom work by SAC.

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Gents, I figured I would share some photos of some work that I just completed on his rifles. The .22 is a Savage Mk11 bolt rifle with an aftermarket stock (not sure which one). It is made from wood and needed to be bedded pretty bad, the barrel channel was all messed up.

After the stock had been bedded, the barrel was threaded for 1/2 x 28 with a custom thread protector. A tactical bolt knob conversion was performed on this rifle as well.

I have been using Kampfeld Custom's bolt knobs lately and they are very nice.

All metal was blasted and refinished with KG gunkote flat black.

Mark

DSC05817Large.jpg

DSC05816Large.jpg

DSC05818Large.jpg

DSC05823Large.jpg

DSC05825Large.jpg

DSC05826Large.jpg

Re: New Savage Mk11 custom work by SAC.

Very Nice

Mark I sent you an email earlier today about a possible bolt knob for my Savage then I saw this. Sounds like the answer might be yes? Thanks

Dumapus,

I can put just about any bolt knob on, if you think this one is too big, I have miniature knobs with the same style or ones a little different.

With bolts like the Howa, FN/Winchester, Savage and others that have a round knob, the Badger style work best because I can use the existing knob and let that transition into the new one. With the Kiff knob, there is no counter bore, that is important depending on what kind of fit you want.

Mark

Thanks Mark - Email sent

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking to build. Does anyone know which stock that is?

US handgunner. Have you heard about people putting 10/22 barrels on the mk11? If so do you think they are any better worse? If they are better can you do this and, if so who much would it run minus the cost in parts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is EXACTLY what I'm looking to build. Does anyone know which stock that is? </div></div>

Im not exactly sure but I am pretty sure it is a dude over at rimfire central. I think there is thread about it now. and There is a dude that makes them by hand and then there is a dude that stole the first dudes design and is CNCing them alot quick for cheap but they are not a good. So something along those lines. Im not 100% sure on that. I just quickly glanced at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cm92</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is EXACTLY what I'm looking to build. Does anyone know which stock that is? </div></div>

Im not exactly sure but I am pretty sure it is a dude over at rimfire central. I think there is thread about it now. and There is a dude that makes them by hand and then there is a dude that stole the first dudes design and is CNCing them alot quick for cheap but they are not a good. So something along those lines. Im not 100% sure on that. I just quickly glanced at it. </div></div>

Thanks, I think I found the guy, Chris, who makes those stocks in a thread on arfcom. While I'd love to get one cheaper I don't like the idea of someone stealing his design much less turning out an inferior product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I'd love to get one cheaper I don't like the idea of someone stealing his design</div></div>

So your saying this guy who made this original savage stock <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> didnt <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> steal it from the manners MCS-1 stock? This stock looks really cool but its ANYTHING but original. Looks like the butt end of a manner mcs-1 with the forend on a hs-precision to me.....

yes but he did combine the 2 and the savage inlet. So there is some craft to it, but the other guy bought one of his stocks and is now CNCing the same exact thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cm92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes but he did combine the 2 and the savage inlet. So there is some craft to it, but the other guy bought one of his stocks and is now CNCing the same exact thing.
</div></div>

Exactly, thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cm92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes but he did combine the 2 and the savage inlet. So there is some craft to it, but the other guy bought one of his stocks and is now CNCing the same exact thing.
</div></div>

Exactly, thank you! </div></div>

No, you are both wrong, the guy on arf.com originally made a trainer of the a3 for his 10/22 and started doing other designs since then and for different inlets, then the "tactical image guys" started recreating them on a cnc but the inlet turned out to be shit and the firearms would not even line up straight. So there you have it.

By the way, Mark, that is a very nice job you did.
Awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That stock is from Wallis Forge. I have one in Tan.

DSCF0009-1.jpg
</div></div>
The forend is a little different from that of the OP's but "Wallis Forge" is the guy from Arfcom. The descriptions, prices, and pictures are identical.

I still am in amazement at Marks work. I went up and picked up a custom rifle from him. easily one of the best looking and shooting rifles I own. Highly recommend him if you need custom work.

Great work, very nice.

Looks like a upgraded TR almost. What kind of groups are you getting with it?

As to 10/22 barrels on a Mk II - doable, it doesn't look like a lot of machine work based on the threads on rfc. Biggest advantage is the vast aftermarket 10/22 barrel supply, in both form (heavy, tapered, fluted, etc) and caliber. Also doing the conversion enables quick changing them, so you get some versatility. Accuracy gain? Who knows - I know my 22lr Mk II BTV and my 93 FV in 22mag will both outshoot my 10/22 build with a TacSol barrel. I've also seen a much better shooter with a KIDD 10/22 build shoot much smaller groups than either of my Savages.

If you do do the 10/22 barrel conversion, I'd go with a e receiver gun so you'll have the action length and mag well to run either 22lr/17hm2 or 22wmr/17hmr.

Gorgeous. I am going to have to send you my .22 ASAP lol.