• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New savage model 12 .223

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
Just got a savage model 12 in .223 with accu trigger and accu stock. I am looking to change the stock due to it feeling awful and extremely skinny. It also appears to have a tapered heavy barrel. What stock options are there and does anyone have any reviews on the rifle

I cant say much about the 12 but I own several savages and my .308 is the 10 PC. I do believe it really depends on who responds but I love my savage. I didn't mind the stock, however I felt it necessary to change it for some of the same reasons. I went with the Manners T4A and I really like it. I do believe there are a few other options out there but what limits the options is the bolt release on the front of the trigger guard. If yours is there, you will have a few problems but Manners is one that can fix you up. If it is on top, you will have more options. I think there is only one model 12 with the bolt release in front of the trigger guard however if that is not correct, someone will jump on here and tell you otherwise. I just cant remember.

The savages are great and if you change the stock and bed the action, you will be very happy with it. They shoot very well. I wish I could shoot better, and I know its me and not the rifle, but typical is sub MOA. Range anywhere from .8 to .4 and I have done as well as .361 MOA. That's all stock barrel and action. Only the stock has been changed. Last time I shot I had my best group going, three shots one top of each other, and them I got excited and pulled the last two. So mad but it would have been awesome. I guess that's what keep you going...

I too want to swap the stock out in the future on my Savage 10fcp-k. In the meantime I did a couple things to better the Accustock. First I removed it and sanded a bit out of the barrel channel to make sure the barrel was always free floated. Next I took the butt pad off and removed the foam from the inside and inserted nearly a pound of plumbers putty. The plumbers putty adds weight to the back off the stock to balance out the rifle, and it never dries out so you can remove it easily if you wanted. Finally, I got a stock pouch from Triad Tactical to give me a better cheek weld and comfort.

Hope your rifle shoots well for you, and dont forget to post some pictures for us!

I have the LRPV in 223. It shoots fantastic. Great success with 73 Bergers and 21.5gr imr4895. Also shoots 55gr extremely well. You should enjoy it a lot.

the real question is how much do you want to spend. there are lots of options from boyds at about 100ish to sharp shooter supply around 350. choate makes a tactical stock from 200 to 650 depending on the options as well as manners, and hs precision or you can go with a chassis system. mcrees are great value. 6 to 700ish i think kyles xlr are art, 9 to 1100 maybe. which 12 did you get?

Have the model 12 BVSS, put a manners tactical with the adjustable cheek piece but not the butt hook. The stock took a little fitting, spent a couple hours one evening with the gunsmith installing it. The rear pillar needed shortening, it was raised too far for my model, gunsmith took care of that in a a couple minutes. Had to use a belt sander to shave off about 60 thousands off the rear of the the blind magazine box to get it to cycle all four shells, the magazine in the manners stock rested in a little higher in the back than in the factory stock. And we bedded the recoil lugg with JB weld. Bottom line, it took a little fitting but the stock fit me allot better than the factory laminate stock and it shoots great.

the real question is how much do you want to spend. there are lots of options from boyds at about 100ish to sharp shooter supply around 350. choate makes a tactical stock from 200 to 650 depending on the options as well as manners, and hs precision or you can go with a chassis system. mcrees are great value. 6 to 700ish i think kyles xlr are art, 9 to 1100 maybe. which 12 did you get?

I would say in the $200-300 range.

The model just says model 12. Plain black stock with accu trigger. The end of the stock closest to the muzzle is extremely skinny compared to the model 12s on savage website

Bolt release on the guard or on top by the bolt?

Only asking as it makes a difference for stock choice.

Model 12 with Accustock means it is likely a 12 FCV with detachable magazine and trigger guard bolt release...right?

The Varmint-style Accustock is a pretty solid piece for a OE stock.

might go to savageshooters.com its a great resource for this. lots of threads on stocks with the new trigger guard bolt release.

So in the 200 to 300 you would be looking at the choate and they have an aluminum bedding block, but they arent inletted for a detachable magazine, so figure that in. their are a number for sale on boards in the 125 to 175 range. They are pretty heavy to. Not a lot of aftermarket support for the new trigger guard release but the threads over on savage shooters say its a pretty easy job to dremel it so it will fit. Boyds i think has some but at $100ish they arent even pillar bedded. they have one they call the tacticool which looks like the choate tactical, i dont remember whether they are inletted or not. I would really reccommend sharp shooter supply stocks in your price range. they come already inletted for the factory metal. the downside is they are made to order and while there work is top notch, the wait can be a pain, and they are wood. i dont know if that is a deal breaker for you or not.

Do some reading on savage shooters and i think all your questions will be answered.

do you have the detachable box mag i trust and bolt release by the trigger guard?

So if you go with a choate, They are not inletted, but they don't have the pillar for the newer center feed blind mags so u would have to find a way to lock in the blind mag sleeve. I don't know how Boyd's stocks are with blind mags

With top bolt release and blind magazine, it sounds to me like you have a 12FV, which does not come with an Accustock. Did your rifle come with an Accustock sticker on it?

You can put the serial number in the PartsFinder on the Savage Arms website and it will tell you all the specifications.

I previously had a 12FV in 223 that was a legitimate half MOA or better shooter with 75gr HPBT and Varget. I'd recommend picking up a Bell & Carlson Varmint/Tactical Medalist (nee "A2") in the sub-$300 range.

You bought the gun new yes? if so There is a stock perfect for your setup with detachable box magazine. It's the hs precision in the for sale section here for 360