• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Savage Precision Carbine!

shaggy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2011
Virginia, at last
After some long thinking, I just put money down on a Savage Precision Carbine in .308! I am pretty happy, and had to tell someone - at least someone who won't then stare at you like you're crazy. She should be in-store in a few weeks.
So, now I'm looking to finish it out. For those who know, would you recommend a rail for sight mounting?
I will use the rifle for the fun of shooting, whith a plan to hunt when the time comes around.
I am thinking of adding a Nikon scope, probably a Monarch with a variable 2x - 10x or so. I try to follow a rule that for a field gun, spend no more than a 1/2 of the rifle cost on optics. I will likely add a bipod. Then beside a sling and scope covers, I should be set.
Anyway, if someone can recommend a mount / scope advice, or anything else learned about the Savage PC, thanks. And if not, "cheers" anyway - another rifle is going to a good home.

Re: New Savage Precision Carbine!

EGW makes a one-piece mount in 0 or 20moa cant for most Savages. Check what the action of yours is. They are about $30 from OpticsPlanet.com. For rings I highly recommend Burris Xtreme Tactical rings. You can get those for around $55 for a set.

Brian

http://swfa.com/Savage-C2594.aspx
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Elite-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P48272.aspx
http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-30mm-Ring-P3631.aspx
http://swfa.com/Harris-Ultralight-BRM-Series-S-Bipod-P1921.aspx

This should get you going for around 600 bucks and allow you to get out of that new Savage what you would expect.

If you can spend more on optics than what you have limited yourself to 1/2 the cost of the rifle than by all means spend more if you can. A $800.00 dollar rifle + 400.00 scope= $400.00 rifle.

Go ahead and buy what you need the first time around and save yourself money and heartache!!

That Savage will shoot lights out and if you hang around here too much you will wind up with more than just a "hunting" rifle.

Reeljob

EGW is a good call on the rail, regardless of what you are planning on doing with the rifle. I personally don't care for the Burris rings, but would go with Warne 213M split rings or even the TMS rings. Costs are $45 and $35 respectively. I currently am running the EGW Pratical Tactical rings, and they were $45 as well. I will be sporting the Seekins Precision 30MM lows shortly.

Optics opinions are about as varied as there are different manufacturers to choose from. You will have to decide on whether or not you want covered turrents or not, and that alone will greatly narrow your choices down. Even though you are looking at keeping the glass cost at 1/2 the rifle cost, I would seriously look into the Vortex PST line. They have a new series out that is tailored specifically with the hunter in mind. Also, Primary Arms has their 4-16x44 MilDot Tactical that the glass is really nice for the price. It seems to be a solid scope, and has the locking turrent feature that would be good for hunters. Marshall's customer service is without question as well. Really nice scope for $150ish.

I too have a 10PC in .308, and I absolutely LOVE the thing!! It is really a fun gun to shoot, and more than capabale to do just about anything you would want, up to and including stretching it out to 1000 yards. I love the overall amount of choices you have out there of different things you can do to it. I made a 5, 8, 10 and 12 round magazine kit for mine too. It works great, and has just been alot of fun all around. Enjoy your new toy, and be safe!!

DK

Savage10PC037a.jpg

Man, if I followed your logic, I would have had to have bought a $3K+ rifle. Just kidding.

My point was only that you shouldn't limit what you put into the glass on the basis of what you put into the rifle. If it's a budget thing, that's fine. Just about everyone has a budget that they have to stay within. If it isn't a budget thing, I recommend that you assess your needs and buy accordingly, as long as the cost is within your means.

For the distances that I shoot and the length of my shooting sessions, good, clear glass with little to no distortion is a must. I also place a high value on repeatability of the turrets and zero stops. My brand of choice is Nightforce. Of all of my scoped rifles, only two do not have a Nightforce on them. One is my AR15 that wears and ACOG and the other is my 10/22 build which will be wearing a Vortex PST. Quite frankly, I may have looked harder at the Nightforce for the 10/22, but the model that I wanted to use won't focus down the 50 yards or less, so I couldn't use it on the .22.

For the cheap side I used a Weaver 20MOA base until I could afford a steel base. It worked good for only around $35. I upgraded to a Nightforce base and Nightforce Ultralight Rings and they are super nice. I topped it with a Bushnell 4200 3-12 and I'm very happy with it.

Wow - thanks - I can't keep up with the replies!
I know I'll love the rifle. As for hardware and scope, I know I'd be very sad if I spent money on a cheap scope. Meanwhile though, I am trying to sock away money to get a LWRC semi-auto - and they do cost a pretty penny!
I wouldn't mind going with a mil-dot scope (spent a few years behind them already courtesy USMC) altough a lot of scopes are using BDC. Locking turrets and a zero-stop would be 'must-haves' if I can swing it $$.
I think the rails recommended above should work well. I handled the PC a little and don't recall thinking it needed a cant or raised rails - but that was a while ago at another shop (and with a rifle on hold for another buyer).
Thanks again to all!

You will want the canted base because some scopes may not have enough mechanical adjustment for the 308 to reach 1000+ yards. I have the weaver on several rifles to include a 300Wm and have never had any problems with it holding zero. The EGW is also another good choice. Buy what you can afford and still be able to shoot shoot shoot trigger time is most important.

As for scopes Bushnell is a good choice.

You picked a great rifle, I bought a .223 for my boy, and a .308 for my girl. I recently had savage put one together for me in 300wm. we use warne bases(20 moa), and burris rings on them so far so good. These really shoot good.
002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pappy83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You picked a great rifle, I bought a .223 for my boy, and a .308 for my girl. I recently had savage put one together for me in 300wm. we use warne bases(20 moa), and burris rings on them so far so good. These really shoot good. </div></div>That is cool, you're kids are hooked up. Nice

The one in front is the .223 with a bushnell 10x mil-mil scope. The second one is the .308 cut down to 14.5 inch with a fixed brake to make it 16 scope is a new IOR 2.5-10 FFP mil-mil. the one in the rear is the new 300wm scope is a bushnell 3-12 FFP mil-mil stock was done by daughter, she did pretty good.

hey shaggy i own the savage pc your buying egw rail,egw heavy duty rings,ss10x scope,so far ive shot 155 amaxes for critters up to deer sized,168 amax for target out to 1000 not very well(me)175smk on paper @ 100 2640fps now 178hornady bthp for this weekend,very nice gun you will love it.

This will be my next new Savage 338 Win Mag. I would really like the 338 Lapua mag but 2 grand is way to much it worth the price but not from me. It's close enough for what I want to do and I'll have some money left over so I can buy ammo and then powder, dies, and primers and go to rolling my own.

Savage announced on their Facebook page today that they were

"working on another 338 LM on an HS Precision fiberglass stock w/ 26" heavy fluted bbl, muzzle brake and scope rail. MSRP should be in the neighborhood of $1,500."

Might be worth the wait.
wink.gif

After some soul searching - and all the excitement of a new rifle. I am going to postpone a bipod and put the money toward a better scope. Now I'm looking at Bushnell, and some others, in the under $600 or so price.
So for now, I'll get the rails rings and scope lined up.
Am I guessing right if I get the round receiver style?
I was planning on starting shooting with 165 to 180 grain middle of the road ammo, just to get the bugs out.

@ Pappy83 - man, nothing like "raising a child in the way he should go"
wink.gif

As for other Savages I was asking about the 110 BA in .300 Win Mag, (that's next in line for my bolt action - I think...) the distributors here are out of stock. I can't afford 338 LM ammo, but if I could...
I am also thinking about a Rem 700 Sendero in 300WM.
Thanks again!

Update:
I went for the SS 3-9 x 42 and a 20 MOA rail.
I am STILL waiting on the rifle to get into my hands.
I was holding off on rings unti lI dry fit everything, but from the looks of it, I should be able to get low rings - is that what other's experience has been?

I just got the ss 10x42 HD and the med xtr rings for mine. The med rings a actually quite high, but with my build ( and my big noggin) I like have the scope a little higher and then build up some padding under my eagle stock pack to get my head in a good position. I actually angle the padding so it keeps my head straight forward so I can look out of the center of my eye socket versus the top... necessary when wearing corrective lenses. For the money, I think it would be hard to beat this set up. i am still a novice and shoot as good or better than a lot of the veteran shooters at my range with this rifle. Off a bench rest for zeroing it will shoot one ragged hole at 100yds with FGM 168 smk's.

IMAG0044 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

I was leaning towards Warne tactical rings. They are steel, look like they will work well, but they seem to only come in Medium height at the lowest. I don't want to have to feel like I'm perching up high just to get behind the scope. I don't anticipate using a cushon on the comb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShaggyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was leaning towards Warne tactical rings. They are steel, look like they will work well, but they seem to only come in Medium height at the lowest. </div></div>

If you are going the route of Warnes, then you will need the Warne 213M rings. These are the low rings that I used on my 10FP when I had it. With the EGW rail and Warne low rings, I still had room for the Butler Creek caps with my 50MM scope bell.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>

Nice setup... looks like you need a 10 round magazine though...

DK

I run Farrell base and mounts on mine with SWFA 10x42 SS.
It loves 168gr A-Max. Get a spare mag from Savage. This is my hunting rig. Don't need 20MOA base; I doubt I'll be hunting beyond 600 yards...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShaggyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was leaning towards Warne tactical rings. They are steel, look like they will work well, but they seem to only come in Medium height at the lowest. I don't want to have to feel like I'm perching up high just to get behind the scope. I don't anticipate using a cushon on the comb. </div></div>

I tried the Warne Mediums on my set-up and they were in fact too high to have a consitent cheek-weld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>

Nice setup... looks like you need a 10 round magazine though...

DK </div></div>

Actually, I do. Does the one from SSS work? That is the only place I have seen them, or is there another supplier... I don't want to do any mods

I sent my magazine body and follower to z71rat and he made a ten rounder for me. He did great work and it function tested perfectly.
12001.jpg

Oh man!! Now that just looks super good!! I am so glad that you like it!! Remember the free offer for referral work too!!

Thanks Bro!! I do greatly appreciate the business and the great feedback!!

DK

Yeah, that mag looks sweet. I'll have to keep that in mind.
As for rings, I'm just about to order them. Not sure exactly on which ones, but I'll get the most bomb proof I can afford.

i have a 20 moa rail and weaver grandslam low rings on my savage.i took the burris rings off because of height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">z71rat, I think I'll be sending you a magazine shortly.
</div></div>

Send it!! I will fix ya up right proper...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">z71rat, I think I'll be sending you a magazine shortly.
</div></div>

Send it!! I will fix ya up right proper...

DK </div></div>
Remind me again how much it is if I send you JUST my magazine and nothing more?

Update:
I've got the PC in now. I used a 20 MOA Badger rail, EGW HD rings (low). I just installed a SWFA 3-9x42 and versa-pod bipod.
In dry firing, it's solid (read: heavy too). The bolt action seemed really stiff, but as I work it, and clean and lube it, things are coming along.
I'll have a chance next week to take it out for some break-in rounds and I expect very good results.
I'll have to pick up more mags soon, but otherwise, I thik she's just about done.
If I steal the time, I'll try to get pictures up.

I really don't agree with limiting your optics budget because of the price of the rifle. I have a savage 10PC in .223 and I put a nightforce nxs on the thing. It works great. The only problem is that my woman has been trying to adopt that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't agree with limiting your optics budget because of the price of the rifle. I have a savage 10PC in .223 and I put a nightforce nxs on the thing. It works great. The only problem is that my woman has been trying to adopt that one. </div></div>

True so true. I am very satistied with my decisions so far, but I recant my dumb idea to not overdo the optics. You can't overdo optics. That said, I think I nailed it for this rifle. Meanwhile, I am working on another 1000 yard plus gun - for which I did get a Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't agree with limiting your optics budget because of the price of the rifle. I have a savage 10PC in .223 and I put a nightforce nxs on the thing. It works great. The only problem is that my woman has been trying to adopt that one. </div></div>

I just ordered the 10pc in .223 and had originally planned on putting a millet on it. After some research on the accuracy of the rifle, I went with a Vortex Viper PST FFP. Anything less is handicapping the gun.