• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage

steelglass

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
Minnesota
Well I finally had time to go to my local gun shop and pick up my new savage I ordered from hinterland outfitters last Monday. Just thought I would show her off. I know its no its no Sako or AI but its all I can afford and I like so far. I have been saving since March and finally got the funds as I am in college and money is hard to come buy. Looking forward to getting into the long range aspect of shooting and have been lurking around this sight for a couple months now reading and it as been super helpful. I am planning on putting Burris XTR bases and rings on her and am thinking about either a millet trs-1 4-16x or a falcon menace 4-14x to top her off. I did have a one question. Does anyone have these rings and bases with either of these scopes. The reason I ask is because I need to know what height of rings to get. I know you can measure the base height and bell diameter of the scope but I am hoping to buy the bases and rings soon and wait on the scope until money becomes available.

Ok without further delay here she is.
dscf0280c.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Re: New Savage

Nice rifle. I just bought a model 10 PC .223 last night and it'll be at my local FFL on Wednesday. I've got an EGW 20moa base and Burris XTR low rings ready to mount a Wotac 4-14x50. Should keep me busy for a while.

Congrats on the rifle. Sharp Shooter Supply is your friend ;)They will take care of you.

Congrats on your purchase!

Like stated above,i'd also run a one peice 20 moa base.And i'd also think about saving a little longer for a better set of rings.

Buy once,cry once! Pays off in dividends bro!

quee, i had my guys at the pawnshop have their guys at the out house (jerrys sport center) find one for me. it was the 10fcp-hs. they add 10% over their cost and thats is. well tax. 10fcp's are still out there in a few places. dicks can use the handheld computer and check the whole network of stores, im sure cabela's could to.

if it matters, ive got a 20moa ferrel, xtr lows, now i have an HS stock, but i had to buy a karsten cause i wasnt low enough scopewise or high enough stockwise.

Looks like the standard 10FP centerfeed. No accustock, which means older bolt release. They should still be easily obtainable.

I have both a menace 4-14 and a trs-1.

Used an EGW base for both, 0 MOA, and burris XTR low rings.
They work well and are very robust.

I tried a 20MOA base, went back to the 0 MOA because I had cranked so far down on elevation that I was beneath the come-up index marks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know its no its no Sako or AI </div></div>

I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Get a copy of GUNS Magazine - August 2010 and flip over to page 58.
wink.gif

I'd highly recommend going with a Super Sniper instead of the Millet. I saw a millet have the crosshairs rotate after only 100rds. The SS clicks are dead on and having a fixed power makes target aqu. VERY FAST. If you can't afford a SS then just get a vortex crossfire 6-25x50 and save up. I've ran both of the scopes mentioned and they both served me very well. My brother currently ownes my vortex and I'm running my 16x SS. You can also check the demo list on swfa and get them $50.00 cheaper.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

The thing about the super snipers that I don't like is they are not variable power. I am going to be hunting with this thing as well and its hard when you have a fixed 10x scope and a deer is 20 yards in front of you. I know millett is suppose to have really good customer support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fdkay do you have enough elevation on those scopes to get out there a ways without the 20 moa base? </div></div>

Absolutely.
There is plenty of elevation to get me out there, but I don't have a range available to stretch the legs anyway.

I also have a Mueller Tac-2, an excellent scope, it is on my long range hunting rifle (7mm Mag Sendero), 3-10x with 95MOA of total adjustment. More than enough for a .308 to 1K.

Hmm I am debating a on weather or not to get a 20 moa base. If I don't get one I am wondering if I will have enough elevation to get out to 1000 (yes I know I will not be getting out there any time soon but might as well have the capability). On the other hand If I do get one I don't want to not be able to zero at 100 yards. What do you guys think? I am really leaning towards the millet because of a few reason. Its variable power, its got US warranty support and from what I hear pretty good customer service and its in my price range.

get a 20moa. wont hurt, its always there if you need it. EGW is good. Ferrel is really nice, but more $$ i love my TRS-1.

yup, started with a 0moa. had to send the first TRS-1 back so i went 20moa. zeroed and sighted just fine. i use a ferrel cause it was a deal when i spotted it. but the 20moa EGW was good too and lower priced. i did have issues with the savage model 10 and many others have as well. when they coat the action black, they dont cover the holes for the base and the coating gets in there and i must have stripped 3 hex heads while installing the base both times. i finally got a tap off ebay and cleaned out the threads. if your not gonna take the barrel off (i did) you will need a bottoming tap in 6/48 to clean them up. running the screws in and out a few times helped a little, but they need cleaned out with a tap. you may not have an issue, some do, dome dont. mine were full of crap. if not a tap, look up ken ferrel and buy some torx head screws. or ask EGW for them, or buy 4 from brownells. the hex just didnt stand up to the dirty threads.

Nice rifle. Mine was a shooter right out of the box. Holds 3/4 moa with 180 gr hunting loads. I am working on purchasing reloading equipment now. I definitely recommend that. The difference is night and day! Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy her as much as I do mine!
smile.gif

I recently purchased a Warne 20MOA steel base and 30mm Seekin Rings from Liberty Optics for my 12BVSS. I am quite happy with them both. I have no issues with a 100yd zero.

burris xtr low 30mm and i am adding a karsten to raise my head. but i have a HS precision stock

Some more questions. Axe does the millet have a flat surface on the bottom of the scope. I ask this because I was going to use the feeler gauge method to mount the scope level but if it doesn't have a flat area that isn't going to work.

Edit: Am I going to need a torque wrench to mount all this? Is it a big deal that its not exactly spec?

id have to look. i went to the hardware store and found a keychain level that worked until i bought the wheeler level-level-level deal, on sale for $10, dont pay more than that. but i will check... yes it is flat.

i, at this time do not have a torque wrench. i dont want to debate the merits of using one, but i dont own one now. i may buy the new one that was featured here in a review by lowlight. i have rebarreled and taken it apart and out of the stock many times with no torque wrenches. do you need one? no. should you use one just to make sure everything is equal? probably so. will i get one? eventually, when everything else is done. i still need to bed it

The factory base should get you out to 500yd depending on the glass you use. You can also get a shim kit from brownells that will let you use the factory base and taylor it to your needs.

I use a egw 20moa on my 12fvss, (308) and the stock base and shim kit on the 10pc, (308) both work very well. blue

Congrats on your new rifle. I would encourage you to visit the Savage Specialty sites including "The Savage Doctor".
Semper Fi

Nice rifle. I bet it will shoot the lights out. Most Savages out of the box are shooters. If you change the stock on a lot them it makes a difference also. If you find that you don't like this gun or it doesn't shoot for you, send me a pm. I be happy to take it off your hands.

Welcome to the addiction of long range shooting.

The EGW HD mount is a ful .10" shorter profile mount than their standard. I know it don't sound like much, but it really is...

DK

So her is another question or maybe two. Do I want to use loctite on my base screws or just torque them down?

I was looking at harris bipods and needed an opinion. They have there base model and then the swivel version. To me it would seem like it would be harder to hold on target if the rifle is able to move side to side. Is this a problem for anyone?

i havent used any yet. i will use blue when i do. and i may be bedding the base this time since i think its the last time i will have to take it off.

you can tighten the harris so there is no swivel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So her is another question or maybe two. Do I want to use loctite on my base screws or just torque them down?

I was looking at harris bipods and needed an opinion. They have there base model and then the swivel version. To me it would seem like it would be harder to hold on target if the rifle is able to move side to side. Is this a problem for anyone? </div></div>

You will want the swivel if your going to shoot prone on uneven ground. They make a pod-loc for like 25.00 I like the swivel a lot. Or else with a regular bi-pod you will have to dig in the legs and it will rarely ever be level.

I just received my EGW +20 MOA base for my Pre-Accutrigger Savage today.

I haven't measured it yet, but it appears the front of the base sits lower than the rear, I expected the exact opposite.

Am I wrong to have thought the front would be higher than the rear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glockster35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received my EGW +20 MOA base for my Pre-Accutrigger Savage today.

I haven't measured it yet, but it appears the front of the base sits lower than the rear, I expected the exact opposite.

Am I wrong to have thought the front would be higher than the rear? </div></div>

You are wrong, the rear is higher than the front of the base in order to angle the barrel up slightly more (20MOA exactly) from horizontal. This is done by lowering the front of the scope so that you must angle the rifle up in order to acheive a horizontal sight picture.

If your going with the millet trs-1 on an 20 moa base low rings will work. Don't overlook milletts tactical rings ,they are actually very good rings rock solid and doesn't move. I know because I have a set on a trs-1. But one thing I would definately do is lap your rings.. this is often overlooked but makes a big difference. If you don't lap the rings they will actually pinch the scope tube at various spots due to not being concentric.

I have used EGW bases on my Savages. I have used both Millet and Burris rings. They all work and are great choices for the money.

I have also used several Super Sniper scopes and Millet scopes. Both are great for the money. Millet offers more features. Some of the fixed Super Snipers do not have side focusing parallax knobs. The lower end Super Sniper scopes are fixed power - 10, 16, and 20. The Millet TRS is 4-16X which may have advantages, depending on the type of shooting you do. I have not had any trouble with either scopes.

My newest scope is a Nightforce NSX but it set my back a few more chips than the Millets and SS scopes.