• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New sawmill coming tomorrow

Yea I’m talking about machine time. Big saw is $250 to run if you bring your own wood
Definitely not that high for me to flat saw a log.

However, I don’t find $250 unreasonable for the 67” saw.

Milling is the easy part. Getting the logs to, and onto the mill is always the pain in the ass.

OP: Did your mill show up?

I don't know where your at or if you plan on building where you will need building inspections and permits , but structural lumber in that instance will need to be graded . I ran into this, but there is a solution . You can hire a lumber inspector to come out and grade / stamp your lumber for a reasonable price . If you need anymore info on that then let me know.
Also it will have to have air dried and be below a certain moisture level for it to pass and be graded , unless you take it to a kiln . So you want to figure that into your time frame .

I'm in NW Colorado. The logs will originate nearby from a timber sale. All are old growth and living Spruce, a few that have been knocked down by the wind, are still salvageable, as they are elevated and laying on top of other deadfall Lodgepole.

I will likely have the logger stack the logs elevated, just like they do at the mill out in an open area I have that's a South facing area, and gets plenty of sunshine. The following year is when I will likely mill them.

My friend who has a mill, stacks his milled lumber in a 20-ft shipping container, and has an exhaust fan running drawing out the moisture, works pretty good for him. The sun heats those containers up pretty good.

Also, understand about the grading requirements for the structural aspect, and where needed. I heard rumor, whether true or not that some jurisdictions will allow un-graded lumber if oversized a certain percentage over the specified structural member? For example, design specifies a graded 8" wide and 12" tall beam, so you could sub a 10" x 14" ungraded beam.

Last edited:
Couple things I’ve learned are to ratchet strap my stacks and if intending to use the spruce inside make sure they get a good pitch set so they don’t get warm and pitchy inside. Definitely a good idea to rattle can the ends of the logs and I cover from the sun or you’ll have cracks and weather checking. Not sure about the grading or if spruce is considered structural.

I'm in NW Colorado. The logs will originate nearby from a timber sale. All are old growth and living Spruce, a few that have been knocked down by the wind, are still salvageable, as they are elevated and laying on top of other deadfall Lodgepole.

I will likely have the logger stack the logs elevated, just like they do at the mill out in an open area I have that's a South facing area, and gets plenty of sunshine. The following year is when I will likely mill them.

My friend who has a mill, stacks his milled lumber in a 20-ft shipping container, and has an exhaust fan running drawing out the moisture, works pretty good for him. The sun heats those containers up pretty good.

Also, understand about the grading requirements for the structural aspect, and where needed. I heard rumor, whether true or not that some jurisdictions will allow un-graded lumber if oversized a certain percentage over the specified structural member? For example, design specifies a graded 8" wide and 12" tall beam, so you could sub a 10" x 14" ungraded beam.
Be sure about that because in my experience building inspectors can be real pricks.

Definitely not that high for me to flat saw a log.

However, I don’t find $250 unreasonable for the 67” saw.

Milling is the easy part. Getting the logs to, and onto the mill is always the pain in the ass.

OP: Did your mill show up?
Yes!!!!! They spent 3 hours training me on it yesterday. I’m in hog heaven.

I have to say that any of the online stuff on this mill does not even paint a proper picture. It is built like an absolute TANK! I’ll have to post some pics or maybe a video.

I’ve got my first log on there and have my cant squared up. I’m between 1” and 1 1/8” for these fence boards. Anybody have any advice on that?

If your looking for a finished board to be 1 in , then you would cut at 1 1/8th to allow for shrinkage and planeing. For just reg rough cut fence board I would just go 1 in since you don't really need the extra 1/8th.

If your looking for a finished board to be 1 in , then you would cut at 1 1/8th to allow for shrinkage and planeing. For just reg rough cut fence board I would just go 1 in since you don't really need the extra 1/8th.
These will just be rough fence boards so I’ll go 1”. Thx!

Yes!!!!! They spent 3 hours training me on it yesterday. I’m in hog heaven.

I have to say that any of the online stuff on this mill does not even paint a proper picture. It is built like an absolute TANK! I’ll have to post some pics or maybe a video.

I’ve got my first log on there and have my cant squared up. I’m between 1” and 1 1/8” for these fence boards. Anybody have any advice on that?
We need pics bruh.

These are cool, I’m just lazy these days.

We need pics bruh.
9666DB33-ED31-4BF4-BE4D-99476BC8D98B.jpeg
9D540037-3773-4EBC-909F-6B32A16A7E3B.jpeg
F7988716-49AB-4AF3-8E8E-E7DBBC2BECFA.jpeg
FEB424BB-002B-444D-A499-572437693B59.jpeg

I put my hand in there to show the scale of the construction. I am 6’5”, hands proportional to the rest of me lol. Everything on it is just massive. By the way, the mill is fabricated from all American steel!

I put my hand in there to show the scale of the construction. I am 6’5”, hands proportional to the rest of me lol. Everything on it is just massive. By the way, the mill is fabricated from all American steel!
Very nice, congratulations to you.

Looks like a beast. What size logs can you mill? Do they offer an extension kit that allow milling longer length lumber, like 20+ feet?

Looks like a beast. What size logs can you mill? Do they offer an extension kit that allow milling longer length lumber, like 20+ feet?
Standard is 20’ log. They will build them longer. I’ve got 16” above the blade and 38” between roller guides.

Reactions: Alpine 338