• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope help

Drock

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
kingston ohio
Hello! I'm new here and I'm looking for input on which swfa scope to get 10x42 or 16x42? I will be shooting 600 yards regularly and out to 1000 yards a few times a year. Please help

Are you shooting off a bench, bipod, or from positions like in a tactical comp?

You'll probably get answers saying that 10x is plenty for 1000 yards. I come from more of a benchrest background and like high-mag scopes. I'd forego the SS and find a used Weaver T36 or such if you're shooting off a bench. (you'll need an angled rail most likely) If you're set on one of those two, I'd choose the 16x.

My $0.02.

I agree with the statement above. If your heart is set with something in the SS line, I would go with the 16x. Especially if most of your shooting is 400+, the extra magnification will definitely help.

Have you ever looked at a 1000 yard target using 10x? Whoever tells you 10x is enough probably hits bullseye at a 100 yards with iron sights. And I know there are at least a few in this forum that can do that. If I were you I would go to that 1000 yard range and ask whoever is shooting with a scope to take a look and see for yourself. 1000 yards through a 10x scope is like looking at a 100 yards through iron sights.

With 600-1000 Yards at a range I see nothing but advantages in the 16x. I personally don't prefer fixed power scopes as I hunt with mine at anywhere from 100-1000 yards. But at the 600 yard level and beyond my scope is on 22x. Yes it is very possible to shoot at your specific range with 10x but I would much prefer the 16x option FWIW

i will be shooting off of a bipod and from the ground. thanks for all the help. i didnt mention that it will be on a rem 700 .308 with and hs precision stock, seekins precision 20moa base and 4-6 rings

Anyone know if anyone has the swfa ss16x42 instock? I have read on here where othe say swfa scopes are backorder. I tried calling and couldn't get anyone at swfa to answer