• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope recommendations???

sberge84

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2011
Ok, here's my predicament. My B-day is coming up and the wife is greenlighting an upgrade optic on my rem 700 .308 sps-v with B&C A-5 stock. It currently has a....Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 mil-dot on it. Yeah, I know...but hey, it got me out to my first 300yd session. Ok...here are my top three options w/ $500 limit...yikes:

1: Falcon Menace 5-25x56 FFP w/ the EMD reticle
(I was sold on this one, just not the warranty. What about customer service too? Just not sure yet.)
2: SWFA SS 16x42
(Definitely considering this, but will I be able to see 800 yds?)
3: Konus KonusPro M30 6.5-25x44
(Just started researching this one tonight. Could care less about the bubble level and I don't mind the 1/8 moa adjustments, but I am definitely down with the warranty and features.)

My ultimate goal is 800 yds. I handload and worked up a combo I'm happy with using 168gr BTHP MK green box. It's given me .81MOA @ 100yds considering I've only been shooting scoped rifles for three months, so...yes I need some trigger time. With my rifling being 1:12, however, I think that 800yds is reasonable and about as maxed as I'll get with 168gr. Maybe one day I work up a 175gr. load and go for 1k when I have a decent area to shoot at.

So what do you guys think I should go with...it's gonna be my last optic on this gun for a very long time, so help me out. I trust you guys won't steer me wrong
smile.gif

Re: New scope recommendations???

Falcon is ok for the money but might be a crap shoot in quality. I've owned two. One worked great the other died. Warranty is definitely an issue. Check with the vendor and get specifics on their version of warranty.

SWFA SS are solid scopes. Have one of the original fixed 10x. Love it. Just a good solid scope. But if I were you, I would go with a variable power. Will help you out with mirage at longer distances. No warranty problems with SWFA.

Konus. Well.......I no nothing about them.
confused.gif
I'm sure some have used them and can give you the low down..

Vortex PST line might be another option. They are starting to trickle out to vendors. Since its a new line, dependability is its only achilles heel. After the initial concern with the knobs was addressed, most have had positive reviews.

Bushnell is another one to consider. I read alot of positive reviews here on the Hide but have never shot with one.

Most will tell 9x or 10x is good out to 1000 yrds. I guess it depends on your skill level. I'm relatively new to the long range game, so still working on the skill part. But I find a little extra power helps. Unless its 100 in the shade and all you get is mirage. ha! Scopes in the 3x-16x range seem to be good all purpose optics.

Get a starting point with your budget then try and hold out a a few extra months to save up a few more dollars. I know you stated your budget is $500 but you said this will be your last optic so try and make it the best you can buy within your budget.

I'm not an expert. Just someone giving you his personal experience. There are many more on the forum with much more experience who I am sure will chime in with there thoughts. I hope I've helped steer you in the right direction. I was once in your spot. I ended up with a NF F1 3x-15x. But that is a whole other animal.

I wish you luck with your search.

Thanks bigd...I'll email SWFA today about the Falcon warranty and get more info on that. I'm still leaning towards the SS 16x, but I would really like a variable like you said. The main selling point to mean on the Falcon is FFP and the good reviews it's got. I have looked at the PST line, and it makes me drool. I just won't be able to swing a grand right now or I'd hit up the GB for the NEW SS 5-20x50!! I got two kids and this rifle has been and needs to stay pretty budget oriented. I'm not planning on competing with it, but it would be nice to occasionally try my hand at mid-range any sight HP just for fun. Still not sure about that Konus, but I keep hearing good things and like I said, the warranty sounds nice to me if I were to "accidently" get a lemon first time around.

Anything, anyone else?

So this is the newly revised list...
1.Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA w/ Mil-Dot reticle
2.SWFA SS16x
3.Falcon Menace 5-25x56 EMD reticle (unless anyone has experience with the Ill. reticle version, haven't found ANYTHING on this one, but it sure does look good for the price)

Maybe... just maybe a Weaver Tactical FFP 4-20x50 if I can squeeze a little extra cash out of my piggybank lol. And I think I've decided to eliminate the Konus M30 from the list...I don't know, it just seems a little shady I suppose and I don't want to take a chance with warranty issues the minute I get the scope.

Seriously though guys, does anyone have anything to say about this particular line-up? I can't decide yet and I'll be ordering this thing in the next two weeks. Thanks for your help in advance
smile.gif

Think quality/value, features, CS, warranty...800 yd capability. That's what my priorities are for this purchase. P.S. Still waiting for a reply from SWFA on Falcon's warranty.

I'd scratch the Falcon Menace from the list. I've never owned one, but they aren't uncommon and from what I've seen they don't always return to zero after dialing a bit.

Of the ones that you mentioned, I'd go with the Vortex Viper. The ones I've seen always return to zero and they have pretty good glass. The 6-20X will be a bit more flexible than the SS16X.

For those interested, according to SWFA, Wonder Optics (WOTAC) handles the warranty for Falcon Menace scopes.

Still haven't made up my mind though...That FFP illuminated reticle for $550 was sounding really nice. But Vortex's warranty just can't be beat. It's looking like the Viper might be my ultimate choice unless someone can recommend something else.

Still open to suggestions, recommendations, unbiased opinions, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greywolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For $100 more you can get a SS 3-9x42 which is an awesome scope, FFP, great warranty, and killer glass. Or find someone selling a used one for $500

If you have to, wait another month or two and save some more $$ for it.
</div></div>

I've looked at that one, but 9x isn't enough magnification for my personal tastes...especially if I'm gonna go out to 800+ yds eventually. My current Nikon goes out to 14x and I want a little more than that. Thanks for the suggestion though...I'm gonna say at this point I'm going with the Vortex, unless something magical happens and I can swing for the Weaver or someone throws another idea at me.

But I am considering the SS 3-9x42 for my Mini-14 Tactical later down the road
smile.gif

Steve I order the KONUSPRO-M30 8.5-32x52 from Midway 2 weeks ago. It is supposed to be shipped around the 31. The numbers look great. The warranty sounds good. I just hope I don't need it.

All the research I found was positive on Konus Products.

And I found people having Problems with really expensive scopes.

The Konus was $339.00 at Midway. If I have problems, well I didn't spend $3000.00

Happy Birthday My Birthday was today. I went to the range and had a great day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve I order the KONUSPRO-M30 8.5-32x52 from Midway 2 weeks ago. It is supposed to be shipped around the 31. The numbers look great. The warranty sounds good. I just hope I don't need it.

All the research I found was positive on Konus Products.

And I found people having Problems with really expensive scopes.

The Konus was $339.00 at Midway. If I have problems, well I didn't spend $3000.00

Happy Birthday My Birthday was today. I went to the range and had a great day. </div></div>

Well Happy Birthday to yourself as well Don!! I haven't ruled the M30 completely out yet, I've read good and well...I haven't ready anything that was detrimental and couldn't be resolved through the warranty. I have read that their Miami-based CS is top-notch too, that's a plus. I guess my only complaint is the allen screws on the turrets to zero them and the 44mm objective on the 6.5-25x44 version. Ok, I'll do more research and for now I'll reconsider the Konus option.

Down to two, the Vortex or the Konus...afforable, nice features, decent reviews, and good warranties.

Speaking of Konus though, do you think the 8.5-32x52 may be a little much for what my rifle can do? I'm not versed enough in high-magnification scopes to know for sure to be honest. I do like the fact that the objective is larger.

Another thing I noticed:
Vortex has a claimed 68MOA elevation adjustment on their Viper 6.5-20x50 PA vs. 60"@100yds, so 60 MOA? (off the Konus website)for the 6.5-25x44, and 50"@100yds (50MOA?)for the 8.5-32x52. But Konus' reticle is glass-etched and the glass is supposed to be great, then again Vortex has been reviewed a thousands times and tracks well and just plain works. And then theres the 1/8 MOA vs. 1/4 MOA arguement there too...
UGH...so many different features to compare. Maybe someone who has experience with them has some input?

avoid the Falcon all together, they are more trouble then they're worth. I bought the hype a few years ago and jumped on a group buy, been kickin' myself in the ass ever since.

500 bucks is a good chunk of change and there are much better options for a little more, or even much less for that matter.

I suggest looking for a used Bushnell 3-12x44 tactical considering your budget.It's FFP,MIL/MIL,ilume,good glass,few faults.Pick a scope because of features and overall reliability.

You're just short the $ for getting into a better quality used scope.You're Nikon isn't to bad of a scope.A friend used his out to 1000Y on his 308 just fine.You'd probably be happier in the end if you just bite the bullet and hold out a little longer saving up some more money and/or selling the dust collectors.

I know Steve it's enough to make your head hurt.
I putting my 8.5-32x52 on the same rifle your are. Your rifle will handle a 1000 yards.

I was thinking of getting the 6.5-25x44 and changed my mind at the last minute.

I figured I could turn the 8.5-32x52 down, but I couldn't turn the 6.5-25x44 up. So for $20.00 more I went with 8.5-32x52.

This scope is a monster 17-3/4" long almost 2 lbs with the 4" shade 21-3/4".

I also ordered a EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base. I'm waiting for the scope and base to come in to order the rings. I'm thinking of getting the Weaver 6 screw heavy duty rings to hold it in place.

The guys here know much more than I do, but, I just went down this road so I'll chip in. I shoot with some guys that have Super Snipers and they seem to hold up. It seems you have to get to 800 or so to get a "good" scope.

The Weaver Tactical came recomended from guy's I trust. Great choice If your a mildot guy they say.

The Sighttron SIII Tactical seems to be another choice if your ok with a SFP scope.

The Vortex PST sounds great, but's it's new on the market. Time will tell I guess.

My recomendation, save up a few more bucks and get something that will work for you. IMHO relability is everything, None of the cool features matter if it does'nt work.

Just my $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys here know much more than I do, but, I just went down this road so I'll chip in. I shoot with some guys that have Super Snipers and they seem to hold up. It seems you have to get to 800 or so to get a "good" scope.

The Weaver Tactical came recomended from guy's I trust. Great choice If your a mildot guy they say.

The Sighttron SIII Tactical seems to be another choice if your ok with a SFP scope.

The Vortex PST sounds great, but's it's new on the market. Time will tell I guess.

My recomendation, save up a few more bucks and get something that will work for you. IMHO relability is everything, None of the cool features matter if it does'nt work.

Just my $0.02 </div></div>

Hi Mike I hear what your saying. I really wanted the The Sighttron SIII. My problem was I didn't want to spend $850.00 for a scope for a entry level rifle.

And fact is I haven't found anyone say it doesn't work. All the complaints I've heard really seem to be minor.

If it works then I'm good if it doesn't well I'll send it back.

I'd shoot the Nikon until you had about twice the money that you have now. It is kind of difficult to get a scope with good glass AND all of the "tactical" bells and whistles for $500. Considering the magnification range that you are looking at, whatever you get for $500 will likely only be marginally better than the Nikon that you are shooting now.

BTW, I think that going with a 32X is gonna be too much. It's gonna give you pretty narrow field of view at 100 yards. If 200 is the closest that you will be shooting, then it might be ok; but you gonna have very limited elevation adjustment range on a scope with that much magnification. I have a 22X and never found myself wishing that I had more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wanted the The Sighttron SIII. My problem was I didn't want to spend $850.00 for a scope for a entry level rifle. </div></div>

Great thing about rifle scopes is they are portable.

That "entry level rifle" will probably outshoot your own abilities for a while...so if you spent $700-1000 on a nice optic now, you'll still have that nice optic whenever you move to a higher-end stick.

If I were spending the OP's money, I'd go with the Viper 6.5-20x50. Excellent warranty, 30mm tube, well-regarded quality and all you're really giving up is FFP. Or, if you can spring for a FFP optic now, you'll know it cold down the road when you build a new rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wanted the The Sighttron SIII. My problem was I didn't want to spend $850.00 for a scope for a entry level rifle. </div></div>

That "entry level rifle" will probably outshoot your own abilities for a while... </div></div>

True That lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Great thing about rifle scopes is they are portable.</div></div>

This is true. I am planning on a new scope with the new rifle.

And the old rifle and the old scope will still shoot better than me.

This is not a once in life time buy for me.

Thank you Boiler I still have a few weeks to change my mind.

-Don

Well, I know some of you will naysay to this, but I think I've decided to go with the Falcon Menace 5-25x50 with the illuminated B20 reticle.

I've read up on the older reviews, and to be honest, I think it's a hell of a buy considering the features. Not sure where I found it on here, but someone did a hardcore "field" test...freezing, heating, dusting over the scope, removing it from the firearm, reinstalling it, and it worked, zeroed and tracked like nothing happened. Even the glass, he claimed, was on par or just a tick under his Leupold Mark 4. Not a huge fan of Leupolds, but since I've never used an NF, Premier, etc. I'm not worried. I have looked through a S&B and it just wasn't for me...call me crazy. In a separate review, I saw photos of the illumination on a 1.5-5x30 made by Falcon and I was impressed. Not really in need of the illumination, but i'd rather have it and not use it, than not have it and need it. The reviews were on AR platforms and the reviews were within a year of when they first came out and had the two-piece tube and the troublesome turrets on them. They've supposedly been redesigned and if that is the case, then it'll serve my needs just fine.

I can live with the turret marks not being EXACT, I can live with the glass that's not on par with NF, Premier, S&B...it's a $550 scope, what do you want? I definitely want the tactical-style exposed turrets, extra magnification over my current Nikon, and FFP mil/mil adjustments.

It won't be the VERY LAST scope I buy for this gun, but it'll have to do for a few years. For $550, I think it'll work out fine without having to spend $1.5-3k on similarly featured tactical scopes. Thanks for the help fellas, but I gotta stop looking or I'll keep changing my mind lol!! EGW 20MOA base, SWFA 30mm rings, and AZ Precision bolt knob and this rifle will be good to go.

*UPDATE: I may have a sale going through in a few weeks, so if that works out, then scratch everything LOL!! SS HD 5-20x50IR will be my only option seeing as I "liked" the Hide on FB for the $500 off special about 6 days ago
smile.gif
If not, then the Falcon is what I'll be going with.

I hope you have good luck with it.

I decided to stay with the Konus.

A tac ops Bolt knob

And a Bell and Carson A5 black stock.

One thing I'm sure going to do. Inspect the box and scope I buy very carefully for signs of damage.

Midway has this on their web site.

Attention!

MidwayUSA welcomes returns, for credit or refund, of product in new, unaltered condition. Please understand that we cannot accept returns on Scopes or Red Dot Sights that have been mounted unless you find they are defective.

So I'm going to lay it in the cradle without screws put my bore sight and levels on it check the cross hairs. Check the turrets to see if they work.

Take it to the range and see how it looks at 100 to 600 yards. Before I put it on the rifle.

Any sign of trouble or the glass is not good back to Midway it goes.

And I'll do the same with the Sightron

-Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you have good luck with it.

I decided to stay with the Konus.

A tac ops Bolt knob

And a Bell and Carson A5 black stock.

One thing I'm sure going to do. Inspect the box and scope I buy very carefully for signs of damage.

Midway has this on their web site.

Attention!

MidwayUSA welcomes returns, for credit or refund, of product in new, unaltered condition. Please understand that we cannot accept returns on Scopes or Red Dot Sights that have been mounted unless you find they are defective.

So I'm going to lay it in the cradle without screws put my bore sight and levels on it check the cross hairs. Check the turrets to see if they work.

Take it to the range and see how it looks at 100 to 600 yards. Before I put it on the rifle.

Any sign of trouble or the glass is not good back to Midway it goes.

And I'll do the same with the Sightron

-Don </div></div>

Don,

I wish you luck with your set-up as well. When I get this scope in my hands in a month or so, I'll post some pics. Unfortunately, I haven't found ANY reviews on this particular scope. I'd do a review, but I'm no expert on these kinda things. I have nowhere to shoot past 300yds right now anyways. When I'm done at this base I will though
smile.gif
GOD FORBID anyone build a range over 300 yds up here in the Great Wild Alaska. No joke, there's nowhere within 1.5 hour drive of Anchorage to shoot over 300 yds (legally). Unless you join the rifle club up here and use the Army base range once in a blue moon when they have HP matches. Not even Active Duty can use the 600 yd. range...wtf? It's right next to the range I go to every damn weekend and NOONE is ever using it...effin military rules...sigh.

Hi Steve Check it out really close before mounting it.

Don't be impatient if the scope doesn't do what you want, send it back. Get your money back and try another one.

-Don

Steve is that That B&C A5 A drop in stock or do you have to fit it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Steve Check it out really close before mounting it.

Don't be impatient if the scope doesn't do what you want, send it back. Get your money back and try another one.

-Don

Steve is that That B&C A5 A drop in stock or do you have to fit it.
</div></div>

Well Don, I may be looking at some others, but I'm sure I've rambled most peoples ears off bouncing around with different scope ideas. So, basically I've found "another" scope of equal features (including IR) as the Falcon (minus FFP) with a lifetime warranty for under $500, the Weaver Tactical for $730-$750 and the ultimate...SS HD 5-20x50 with the Hide rebate for $1k.

Anywho, yes, the B&C A-5 is a drop-in. It features an aluminum bedding and fully free-floated barrel. It's WAY heavy, but it's VERY comfortable to shoot. My rifle weighs in at 13.8lbs with the 26" Remington #3 contour (heavy varmint contour) barrel. If and when you receive the A-5, inspect the aluminum bedding for flash and shavings...it needs a some minor cleaning and you'll be good to go!! It shrank my groups substantially too. If you don't plan on hiking out 10 miles with your gun on a hunt, then this one's for you. If it's gonna double as a hunting gun, I'd go with the A-2 style stock from B&C. It's half the price as well.

Some folks will say you can skim bed it, but that's just more money taking away from the rest of the build. I'm sure it helps just a little bit more, but to me, it's not worth dealing with the *sshole gunsmiths at Wild West Guns up here, lol. You have to give them a reason why you want to do stuff to your gun. I suppose if you don't want my money then I'll go somewhere cheaper, which BTW is every other gunsmith up here haha!! Guess they have a big head cuz they made a few guns that got magazine time. Besides the point.
When you get that M-30 in I wanna know how it turns out, cuz I'm still pondering the thought with that one as well. Honestly I don't know what I'll get till I find out if this sale is gonna go through or not. I've given up on FFP unless I can swing the money for a decent one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Steve I decided not to get the Konus. Before the Konus I had decided to get a SIIISS832X56LRMOA. The number are still good on the Konus. BUT lol

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=171 </div></div>

Nice!! I looked at that one too. Think it'll be a nice move on your part. I managed to milk my funds a little more and now I've got $750 to spend. Either going with a Vortex PST SFP, Weaver Tactical series, or a Horus Predator (maybe...that 1 year warranty makes me scratch my head for such a nice optic, but I'm really diggin the reticles). I'd do the Horus/Bushnell HDMR seeing as I'm active duty military, but I need to save some cash for a base and rings, lol. We'll see.