• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Shooter from NC

JRV

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2021
Raleigh, NC
After ten years of running around shooting pistols at cardboard, I thought I’d take a stab at sports with less sprinting and more math.

Looking forward to reading and learning.

• Haha
Reactions: KZP and Howland
welcome from the foothills... come up & shoot sometime...

I went to law school in Winston-Salem. Shooting steel challenge and fishing for trout up around Boone was a real treat.

If you have recommendations for matches or clubs within a few hours of central NC, I’d welcome any suggestions!

there is a club local here... hawks ridge... they are holding some psr style matches... i guess woodies & front line defense are down your way...
and we have a private place here in wilkes.. with plenty of steel hanging.. when you come thur wilkes on way to boone our range is about 10-15 min. from walle world...

Reactions: JRV
I went to law school in Winston-Salem. Shooting steel challenge and fishing for trout up around Boone was a real treat.

If you have recommendations for matches or clubs within a few hours of central NC, I’d welcome any suggestions!

My go-to's are Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe NC, Frontline Defense in Warrenton NC, Pigg River Precision in Rocky Mount VA, and VPRC in Alton VA. Each has a website and a Practiscore presence.

Welcome from the flat land. Ditto on Frontline Defense. It is a good range. Many members from the Triangle area. Open to public on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Always check their calendar on the website as it may be closed for matches or classes.

Reactions: KZP and JRV
Welcome from Dunn NC. I’m a member at Woody’s. Goes out to 550yds right now and he’s working on the 1k. Very nice place!

Where are you located? If you are in the the Tir-ad area Coleman's is the only real choice because they are the best in NC and about an hour from G-boro.

Where are you located? If you are in the the Tir-ad area Coleman's is the only real choice because they are the best in NC and about an hour from G-boro.

I’m in Raleigh. Coleman’s is definitely on my radar.

Has anyone shot the F-class/Palma/XTC matches at North State up in Butner?

Depending on where you are in Raleigh - north or south side - you have a choice of great places to shoot.

On the north side, Frontline Defense near Warrenton is less than an hour from the intersection of 540 and 401. You seem to know about Butner and maybe Sir Walter, but neither of those cater to the PRS-style crowd.

On the south side, Woody's is 20 minutes down US1 from the 40/440 interchange. Coleman's Creek is another hour's drive down toward Ellerbe.

There are smaller clubs scattered around, but these are the best known. Frontline goes to 1000. Coleman's Creek goes to a mile but I heard they have capped their membership. Woody's goes to 540 yards and has pistol bays as deep as 50 yards; nice thing about Woody's is you can walk (or drive, if the [expletive] rain ever stops long enough for the downrange road to dry) downrange to set your own targets and/or paint permanently-mounted steel; you cannot go downrange on the long lanes at Frontline or CC.

If you're interested in a no-drama match whose entry fee goes to a great cause and has a large prize table where stuff is raffled, check out the Guardian Long Range Competition which will be held at Frontline last weekend of March. This match is perfect (if relatively expensive but entry is tax-deductible) for those new to PRS-style competition. There is usually a new-shooter-instruction day on the Friday before the 2-day match begins. Great cause, good time. It almost always fills up - just be aware.

Tagged. Looking for more precision rifle type competitions in NC/SC. Hawks Ridge was already mentioned and I'll second it's a cool place. Great for a causal local match.

Coleman's creek will cap membership at 500, but I was there in Jan. and they still had a few slots.
I just checked with JB - 10 slots left.

Not sure where Paul and Woody are with membership limitations at Frontline and Woody's; have't heard about any.

Coleman's is an awesome place! Glad I got in before the cut off for memberships. Im going to be there Friday morning to get some data on my new Dasher. If anyone is on the fence about joining just do it, it is well worth the $$$