• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Shooter Need Help With Ballistics Calc

mik233

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2017
OREGON
I hope this is the right place to post this.
Now that im getting into long range shooting (been shooting for years but always under 250 yards) im starting to get into the more technical side of things. I am attempting to use transol and strelock and a few other apps just to get an idea on calculating solutions for long range shots, but i am confused.
I have the option of MOA, Mrad, IPHY and clicks on the apps. I know my scope has 1/2 Moa adjustments on elevation (vortex viper hslr 4-16x44 ) so would i just use MOA as my settings?
Ive heard of IPHY but ive been told not to use that because at longer ranges it can account for a lot of error in inches. obviously i would not use mrads because my scope is moa.
I have read countless articles and im still lost. I'm trying to learn all this but im struggling.

Basically what i want to know is, do i just use MOA for everything i do?

First you want to confirm it is truly adjusting in MOA and not IPHY, as many scopes do claim to be MOA when in fact they are IPHY.

So do a tall target test and confirm it,

After that, yes you use MOA for everything

Ok thank you, I will try that out one of these afternoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some advice from another novice. I would pick an app and stick with it, when I started I was doing what you are and using a couple different ones and it just confused me(some will say that’s easy to do:).

As far as apps go they will all spit out essentially the same data, the exception is applied ballistics when you are shooting into and past transonic.

I have run Strelok, AB, and multiple versions of the military's ATRAG PDA software side by side. They are almost identical, (at least for the purposes of shooting people) until you get into transonic and subsonic ranges, that's when the AB custom drag curves really start to shine.

If you are not shooting that far, I would recommend the following:

You can get a cheap kestrel which just gives you temperature, humidity, and baro, and then plug the data from it into an app like Strelok and just be sure to update your atmospherics every 20 minutes or so.

If you decide to get fancy you can always get a Kestrel 5700 Elite when the prices have fallen a bit.

I hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk