• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW SHOOTER NEEDS ADVICE!

6MOLONLABE7

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2010
Florida
Hey everybody, Im a college student looking at getting into federal law enforcement after college. Im proficient with a handgun and assault rifle but i have never owned a bolt gun nor have i ever shot long range....which brings me to the reason why I'm making this post. My local gun shop has just put up for sale a used bolt gun package that was sold to them by a local police department that never used it. It is an HS-Precision RDT in .308 with a leupold scope, Harris bipod, sling, pelican case and rings for $2300. I am very intent on buying this rifle from them. Please if any of you have any info on the gun or just an opinion in general if i am getting a good deal here or I should just pass it up please let me know. All comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: NEW SHOOTER NEEDS ADVICE!

Are you sure it has not been used? If you look at their website (HS Precision), that same rifle brand new goes for about $3000. So if you factor in all the accesories, then it's a smoking deal. If you want a starter kit so see if you like LR shooting, then a simple used Remy SPS and a good Leupy will do the trick. The rest of the money can be spent for ammo, and or reloading equipments and components. Sure the rifle you are looking at is a nice custom. If it's in your budget, then I would go for it. Remember, nothing beats sending many many many rounds down range to get the experience. BTW, Welcome to the Hide.

Price sounds too good to be true for a true RDT and accessories.

I agree with dhutch. Something is not passing the smell test with this package. Why would they sell this package for so much under market value? The value of a RDT rifle is too easy to look up for the shop to be ignorant. I would proceed very carefully.

Welcome to the Hide!
$3000 is the list price on HS Precision's website, but the rifle can usually be found for quite a bit less if you shop around. I bought my HS Precision HTR .308 barely used with 40 rds down the tube (practically new) this past March for $1900, and it came with a set of IOR 30mm rings, a Harris swivel bipod and an extra 10 rd mag. List on the HTR is $3070.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying $2300 isn't a good deal. Just that these rifles often sell for considerably less than "list price". At the same time, there was an STR for sale for $1900 as well.
Like the OP, I was shopping for my first centerfire bolt rifle and was kicking around the "Savage vs Remington" question, when I stumbled on the HSP. It was pretty much love at first sight, and I have not regretted my decision for one second.
They are great rifles and they are "done". Nothing needs to be fixed on them. Out of the box, they are pretty much perfect. If it has the features you are looking for and you can swing it, I would say go for it. You will not be disappointed. I will say that the mags (I prefer the 10 rounders) can be a little hard to find in stock, and are kind of pricey ($125 ea), but how many 10 rd mags do you really need for a bolt rifle?
All that being said, if you have cash in hand to offer, it couldn't hurt to ask if the shop can come down on the price a bit. Keep in mind, if is a PD trade in, the department probably took a beating on it and the dealer probably doesn't have that much money invested in it. I would offer them $2000 <span style="text-decoration: underline">CASH </span> (the magic word) and see what they say. The worst they could say is no, and make you a counter-offer. You can probably end up getting it for less than $2300, but even if they are firm on the price, I would say it's still a good deal.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

go for it, it is a good deal, your not going to do alot better for a starter rifle if you can afford it. i think a 223 is a better starting caliber but 308 is second on the list so do it.

SEND IT!!!

Hey everybody thanks for all the posts and information. I put my first payment on the gun today. I should have it in the next couple of weeks and I will be sure to post pictures. Can you guys recommend anything else i would need for out at the range?

I think you are gong to be very pleased.

Lay in a supply of good ammo. If price is a concern take a good look at the American Eagle 7.62x51 M1A 168 gr OTM load.

If you shop around you can sometimes get it for about 15 a box.
This load actually shoots better in my precision rifle than the gold medal match. Not saying it will be the case for you. It is, however, a very good load at a very good price.
It is usually a bit cheaper than the Prvi partizan 168 grain load and is MUCH better.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/0_656_671/products_id/59174

Congradulations! I can tell you from my experience, the next couple weeks are going to go by very slowly.LOL You have a great rifle, a nice scope, a case, etc... The only other things I would recommend are targets, lots of ammo, and a decent rear bag. Other than that, the only thing I added to my HTR was a US Optics anti-cant bubble level. I found that it really helped me stay consistent shot to shot, especially on uneven ground or when you don't have a visual refernce downrange for "what is plumb".
I'm sure youre going to love your new rifle. I'm looking forward to seeing pics.
What Leupold scope came with the package?

i believe the scope is the leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Front Focal.

Rear bag as in small sand bag or bean bag to place under the toe of the stock. Don't stock up on ammo until you purchase the rifle and test several loads to see what shoots best out of it. Do you handload yet?

That's a great scope to come with a pkg at that price!

By rear bag, I mean something like one of these:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html
http://www.triadtactical.com/TAB-Rear-Bag.html

When shooting prone or from a bench, you can use it to support the buttstock for a steadier position than "floating" it at your shoulder. The bag does not breathe and has no pulse. Your body does. You can squeeze the bag with your weak hand to make elevation adjustments. A bag and a bipod can be pretty much as steady as a rest, but much more portable and easier to adjust. Believe me, I tried shooting without one first, and then with one. It made a <span style="font-style: italic"> huge</span> difference!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rear bag as in small sand bag or bean bag to place under the toe of the stock. <span style="font-weight: bold">Don't stock up on ammo until you purchase the rifle and test several loads to see what shoots best out of it. Do you handload yet? </div></div></span>

HS Precision tests every rifle at 100yds with Fed. GMM 168gr, and guarantees their rifles (.30 or smaller) will shoot 1/2moa or better (obviously you have to do your part, but the rifle itself is capable with that ammo). The test target that came with my HTR showed a .27" 3 shot group.
Unless you are planning on reloading right away, <span style="font-style: italic">you cannot go wrong</span> with Federal GMM 168s!

I think you got a great deal. The two H&S’s I have are tack drivers, even the 20 inch fluted. Try the 168 Fed GMM to start. That’s what H&S uses for their test shots. Let us know how it all works out

You have <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">two </span>?</span> </span>

Bastard!
wink.gif

welcome to the hide i think your gonna really like lr shooting i too am a college student shooting a .308 in FL. good luck finding a decent range theres only a few in FL. i think youve got a great rifle and a really really great one to start out on. in my experience nothing can replace good ammo and alot of range time. before you spend a ton of money on windmeters and laser range finders buy or make a shooters log book. and if your not reloading yet look into federal 168gr bthp match ammo and nothing less.

[/quote][/b]

HS Precision tests every rifle at 100yds with Fed. GMM 168gr, and guarantees their rifles (.30 or smaller) will shoot 1/2moa or better (obviously you have to do your part, but the rifle itself is capable with that ammo). The test target that came with my HTR showed a .27" 3 shot group.
Unless you are planning on reloading right away, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">you cannot go wrong</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">with Federal GMM 168s!</span></span> [/quote]

I don't neccesarily agree.
From personal experience, while FGMM 168 shoot very well in MOST rilfes, it does not shoot well in ALL rifles.
So, you can in fact go wrong with FGMM 168's.

I wasn't saying that FGMM shoots the best in all rifles. I have a Rem 700 SPS that shoots better with Hornady TAP than with the GMM. I was saying that the OP couldn't go wrong with it since he is buying an HS Precision and that HSP Tests their rifles at the factory with FGMM 168s to ensure they meet the 1/2 moa guarantee. If his rifle has been proven to shoot like that with this particular ammo, he can't go wrong with it. I didn't say he couldn't do better.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6MOLONLABE7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just got my rifle! how do i post pix?!? </div></div>

Here is the link

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39427&gonew=1#UNREAD</div></div>

thanks man

That's Damn Nice! Where are you in FL.? Obviously on the coast but where? I'm in Central FL. and shoot at SCGAA in Geneva. If you're nearby and want to run a few rounds thru her (only out to 300yds) let me know. I'm always lookin' for people to go shootin' with.

... Oh, and does the dealer have any more of those?

That is a very nice setup and you got it at a good price. Now take the time to learn everything you can about LR shooting, and that rifle will not let you down.

oneshot, thanks for the kind words. Yeah im in central florida too. Im on Merritt island. Yeah man im definetely down to put a few rounds down range some time. Ive never shot any kind of "long range" before so it would be nice to go shooting with someone who is experienced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6MOLONLABE7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive never shot any kind of "long range" before so it would be nice to go shooting with someone who is experienced.

</div></div>

This is a good way to go about learning. Read on your own time, and then spend time with somebody that knows what they are doing. This will teach you a lot.

Sweet rifle! Too bad your in the central area, I'm over in Tampa or I'd say let's hit the range. Once your up for it, Manatee is out to 1000yds. You can really test the accuracy of the gun and get a feel for how wind affects your shots at distance. PM me if you ever plan to make it out that way. Enjoy your gun!