• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Shooter trying to decide

So I am looking at SO MANY OPTIONS for rifles and I think I have narrowed down by budget and value to the Tikka T3 but now I think I need some help in deciding between .308 and 6.5CM...
I figure I will be putting about at least 6-10 hours at the range in every month (I need the practice!) and will be under 500 yards until I get better (might be a while!) so I am looking for advice on what I should start out with...

.308 or 6.5mm CM?
I think it is very hard to beat the value and quality of a Savage and TC.

A 6.5 will not have enough energy as the .308 long range.

Bullshit

A .264 Hornady 143 ELD-X @ 2700 fps has 1167 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards and a .308 Hornady 178 ELD-X has 1200 at the same distance. The difference is insignificant.

So I am looking at SO MANY OPTIONS for rifles and I think I have narrowed down by budget and value to the Tikka T3 but now I think I need some help in deciding between .308 and 6.5CM...
I figure I will be putting about at least 6-10 hours at the range in every month (I need the practice!) and will be under 500 yards until I get better (might be a while!) so I am looking for advice on what I should start out with...

.308 or 6.5mm CM?
Google 6mm ARC, its a new military make and all you have to do is pop a 6mm ARC upper on your AR-15 lower and put the AR-15 mag in which holds 25 rounds of 6mm ARC, 1200 yards flat with a 110gr bullet!

.308 or 6.5mm CM?
Can't go wrong with the .308. Lots of very good loads available (most of the time, but not too much in this "stock up" time we live in). My Tac T1x really likes Hornady ELD's, but still 'approves' of Federal SMK's. Very good results at 300 and 500 with both. The .308 just has a little more authority than the 6.5. Maybe not as flat, but a lot more energy at the other end. Just my .02...

i think whichever you choose, it is going to be easier to ring steel under 600 yards than you might think if you have the right gear setup properly.
i suppose the best advice might be to find your way to a range with whatever you got and maybe get behind a few rifles. not sure if there are local forums there, or hide people in your area. i'd certainly let (and have) anyone take a few shots on my rifle, just because it isn't very common.
Thx for your feedback but I am not the original poster, I'm just here to learn.

6mm ARC, 1200 yards flat with a 110gr bullet!

Such bullshit........

Being generous with a 20" barrel all you'll get out of that cartridge is 2650 fps. A Hornady 108 ELD-M goes transonic at 850 - 900 yards and needs 14.5 mils of elevation to get to 1200 yards.

A 6.5 Creedmoor in just about any bolt gun will throw a 140 ELD-M at 2750 fps and need only 12 mils to get to 1200. Not to mention it doesn't start to go transonic until after 1100 yards (assuming 1.3 Mach is the start of the transonic region)

1599838090686.png