• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New shooting spot located! PICS

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys. My buddy was back in town from school and we went hiking through his land to see if we could find a good shooting spot. We hiked for probably a mile (damn Im out of shape) and finally found an amazing place. It was on top of a big hill, there was an old abandoned building with a ladder leading to the roof. Well we get up to the top and you can see for what looked like miles (to me). In north carolina its dang hard to find 100 yards much less 200-300. Anyway I ranged the longest possible shot to be about 550! Ive never shot over 350. 500 looks like 1000 to me. Anyway Im pretty stoked about getting back into shooting. Just bought a spotting scope and I am getting a tumbler tomorrow for Christmas. Looking forward to posting some sub moa groups!

Ill try to get some pics up in a sec.

Re: New shooting spot located! PICS

65829_1638536835894_1010958968_31768746_6899707_n.jpg

If you look through the trees there is a white dot, that was a large water bucket (4foot tall) we found in his grandpas barn. We attempted to shoot computer parts off the top of it. Well it was 30 degrees and 15-25mph crosswind. We both had acouple hits out of about 7 rounds. Ive never shot this far and couldnt see hits, I tried to look for bullet trace. Ive only heard about it, but I saw a few on my own shots. Pretty cool

65829_1638536875895_1010958968_31768747_5909103_n.jpg

Im shooting a .308 rem700 in the mcmillian. It shoots sub moa, im not the best shooter but its done 1/4 moa before averages just under 1/2.

65829_1638536755892_1010958968_31768745_3038848_n.jpg

My buddy is shooting off the bag, hes not into rifles much, his dad gave him a rem700 in 270 for christmas last year and he hasnt shot it 10 times, but after hitting a small bucket from 500 he is hooked. Im trying to help him learn, giving him my bipod off my 22 and helped him get some ballistic tables for his 270. He is loving it so far, and as long as he likes it I have a place to shoot for awhile...

You are sooo in trouble now. You think crack is addictive...

Remember the first step towards getting well is admitting you have a problem.
grin.gif
Welcome to the club.

John

p.s. You may have changed your buddy's life forever. I remember when my current shooting partner thought 200 yds was a long shot.
wink.gif
We're now looking for a place to set up steel at 2.5K.

Those pics are great. Makes me wonder why I ever left NC.

Capt

It is an addiction once you get hooked shooting past 500 yds. Not sure were you are in NC both I have a few suggestions where you can stretch it out and a few friendly matches near Raleigh =/- an hours drive. A friend of mine (Woody) is putting on his 3rd 2 man team match locally here in March and adding an afternoon side precision tactical match. Also another frind puts on the JST Junpier Swamp Matches an hour east of Raleigh

Take Care and feel free to PM or email for more information on NC shooting

Thanks man, Im pretty close to winston so that would be a hike. Im not much into competitions at the moment. I dont have enough time to practice and learn up. I just go out 1-2 times a month to shoot stuff from as far away as possible.

Nice looking shooting spot you have there. Knock down a couple trees and you could really have some fun. I'd just hate to see that old tar and gravel roof once it turns hot again!

The funny thing is, now you will start deciding whether or not to drop some small trees or branches of the bigger trees in order to get a better shooting lane or longer distances!

Tell me about it. If this was MY land I would be on midway right now scooping up rangefinders, targets, more reloading tools, ect.

cpt. obvious....... Im in Mooresville, just north of Charlotte. Id drive if I can tag along to your 500yd site sometime. Im an addict but havent found anywhere close to here that can reach out far enough to get my "fix".

Just found a nice bit of public land today that will allow me to get about 350 yards with minimal wind... Found a clearing in a forest, so the wind block is pretty good.

Was getting clovered groups at 350 yards so Im pretty happy with that
smile.gif