• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New single stage press

ecm1997

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Texas
I’m Looking at getting a new single stage press. I’ve been looking at the Mec Marksman, RCBS summit, and Redding big boss 2. Assuming they’re all $200 give or take a little, what would y’all recommend? I watched the 14 press comparison on YouTube and it didn’t narrow it down past this. Will be loading mostly 300wm and 308. I’ve got an older lee turret press for pistol and smaller rifle calibers.

Highly recommend the MEC. But it's best if you get one you can lay your hands on before you buy. They have issues with showing up beat to hell. Unless they've corrected their packaging issues. But they are a fantastic design and are my favorite.

I was recently in the same boat and, went with the MEC.. It is very smooth, and is built like a tank. The floating shell holder takes a little getting used to but a great feature nonetheless.

The MEC looks like a good press, but it looks to be for reloading while standing. The design of the primer catch, and the articulation of the linkage mean it will need to be elevated off the table.

I like to stand while I reload, but you may want to take that into consideration.

If I were going with an RCBS press, I'd be looking at an RC Supreme, or the new RC Rebel. I'd probably skip out on the summit.

The RCBS summit is a POS. Get the Supreme.

Or a Forster Coax.

Has anyone tried the frankford m press? Looks like a good alternative to the coax.

Has anyone tried the frankford m press? Looks like a good alternative to the coax.

I was thinking the same. I didn't put a lot of stock into the higher end frankford stuff. But I bought the intellidropper and it works great. Made my interest in the mpress come back

Last edited:
Bumping.

Thanks guys, I ordered a mec with the stand last night

How do you like it? I have a Lee turret press, but I don't like how much wiggle the the 4 hole turret has. Not a big deal on resizing, but it is for bullet seating. I'll adjust my micrometer seater maybe 0.001" and then it won't flex and the bullet will be moved like 0.01". Figured since I do everything in single stages anyway, I might as well get a high quality single stage press. Was looking at the RCBS RCS until I saw this thread.

Bumping.

How do you like it? I have a Lee turret press, but I don't like how much wiggle the the 4 hole turret has. Not a big deal on resizing, but it is for bullet seating. I'll adjust my micrometer seater maybe 0.001" and then it won't flex and the bullet will be moved like 0.01". Figured since I do everything in single stages anyway, I might as well get a high quality single stage press. Was looking at the RCBS RCS until I saw this thread.

I replaced the same Lee press with the MEC. It has been awesome so far. There is no play in the ram at all and it is very smooth. It is a huge improvement over the Lee.

I replaced the same Lee press with the MEC. It has been awesome so far. There is no play in the ram at all and it is very smooth. It is a huge improvement over the Lee.
Looks like Brownells is cheapest, though they don't have the Hornady conversion kit available right now. Might have to place a couple orders today.

Looks like Brownells is cheapest, though they don't have the Hornady conversion kit available right now. Might have to place a couple orders today.

I used a 10% off code and got the press and stand for $220ish shipped from brownells. I haven't done the conversion on mine yet but its definitely on the list.

I used a 10% off code and got the press and stand for $220ish shipped from brownells. I haven't done the conversion on mine yet but its definitely on the list.
Currently $188 on Brownells. I think I'd like the stand and shellholder plate.

Lee also makes one for 10 bucks. Their breech lock upgrade kit.

Last edited:
Interested in the MEC Marksman as well. Curious to know how well it handles spent primer removal.

Can one of you with the mec measure where the mounting holes are on the press? I'm curious if it will fit my current Lee Bench plate

For reference:
20200329_083612.jpg

I have the MEC and really enjoy it. I still have my rockchucker and use it for small batches of certain handgun cartridges and dedicated depriming. I use my dillon 550 for high volume hand gun cartridges and rifle. the MEC

is my dedicated "precision" sizing and seating press for rifle. I also use wilson dies and a sinclair arbor press. the MEC is smooth as butter and solid. my hand cannot detect any play in the ram. I do keep it lightly lubed with rotella 5w-40. I do have my handle rotated 90* so that it's centered rather than offset. in my mind, the offset handle is going to loade the press awkardly and induce un-needed stress. I also use the small handle to size and seat with no problem. it provides plenty of leverage. I will say, the "floating" shell holder does tend to rotate around on it's own when pulling out brass, so it's not always in the same location when you go to place another piece of brass in the press. I mostly use redding comp dies or wilson dies in it and I don't have a concentricity guage, but my ammo does what i need it to do.

so my honest thoughts. I'm glad i got a new press and am pleased with MEC. However, i do question if the floating shell holder is a gimmick because at times it seems as if there's enough slop in the case to shell holder alignment (i use redding shell holders) to allow the case to align with the die, rather than the shell holder moving. I also question if i should have just spent the extra 100 or so and went with the Forster Co-Ax which is a proven precision press. ehh, who knows......... as i stated the MEC is smooth, solid, tight and seems to be producing great ammo. I would not get it for an all around press though. the carbon from decapping is going to get into the ram/press fit and cause early wear jsut like on any press.

The stand is also useful. it keeps everything at eye level for my bench/chair combo.

Are you guys referring to the mec marksman? I am in need of a new press sometime soon.

I have the Frankford m press and the rcbs summit. So far I prefer the m press but I’m still playing with both then I’m going to probably sell one. I’m not sure either would make a it on there own. I still have the old rock chucker for pulling bullets and such

Reactions: kriller134
I also place a dab of rotella under the shell holder to facilitate it aligning.

I have a coax collecting dust in my reloading room, as and the Mec gets used. I reload 223, 308, Magnum, and lapua case head brass, and the coax quick change shellholder bottomed out on my dies giving inconsistencies in bump. I've installed a Hornady quick change die setup on the Mec, so it's just as easy as the forster. Personally I feel I'm getting as good or less run-out with the Mec vs the coax. Just my observations.
Forster makes a traditional shell holder conversion.

I have a coax collecting dust in my reloading room, as and the Mec gets used. I reload 223, 308, Magnum, and lapua case head brass, and the coax quick change shellholder bottomed out on my dies giving inconsistencies in bump. I've installed a Hornady quick change die setup on the Mec, so it's just as easy as the forster. Personally I feel I'm getting as good or less run-out with the Mec vs the coax. Just my observations.

How much are you bumping the shoulder back for this to occur?

2 thou, the quick change shell Jaws sit higher than the standard Jaws, and the die was bottoming on it, giving inconsistencies. Got tired of dealing with it, so got a new press.
Did you eliminate the backer plate when you went from the standard jaws to the quick change jaws?

I use the dead stop instead of the cam over option on the m-press because it was hard to get the same exact shoulder and bullet depth. Could have been user error but the dead stop eliminated the problem. Was curious if the coax was a cam-over setup and if it had this problem.

It's not a quick change after that correct? Pull the backer plate and it can fall apart pieces everywhere just like standard jaw was my impression.

Take a look at this. I'm talking about the "blue" plated that sits between the original jaws and the press. It is removed when the old jaws are replaced with the quick change jaws.

I got a mec a few months back and I'm haveing inconsistencies with bullet seating depth its a redding match die so I'm guessing its the shell holder being free floating its spinning little 1/4 or 1/8 turns and throws my depths off .003 or more. Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you fixed it??

I got a mec a few months back and I'm haveing inconsistencies with bullet seating depth its a redding match die so I'm guessing its the shell holder being free floating its spinning little 1/4 or 1/8 turns and throws my depths off .003 or more. Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you fixed it??

Hasn't been a problem with my MEC. Might clean your dies and see if that helps.

I've had my MEC for over 1 1/2 years and it's my dedicated precision rifle press. I've loaded thousands of rifle rounds with it and it is spot on. The only issue I've had is the primer catcher is inconsistent. I put a secondary tray below the primary to catch the missed primers and that seems to work good.

Last edited:
My MEC replaced an old RCBS partner press that served me well. I bought it and the base a little over a year ago and have used it quite a bit. I have a stool setup at my bench that I sit in when reloading with it. My bench is 36" high plus the height of the MEC mounting base.