• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater NEW sniper show...

Re: NEW sniper show...

Thanks for the heads up!

It's at 9:00 P.M. Eastern Time, a 2 hour show called <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper: Inside the Crosshairs</span>, described as "The science and psychology behind some of the greatest shots in military history; snipers deconstruct their missions, ranging from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan; a Canadian sniper recounds hitting a Taliban fighter from 1.5 miles away."

It's followed, for those who might be interested, by a one-hour show on the history of the M-16.

Must be local only, the History Channel website does not have that show on its schedule now, and it's not on TV here (SF Bay Area) tonight either. Enjoy it!

Thanks. DVR set. Maybe this one will finally make ME a sniper.
wink.gif

For those that cant find it on the history channel
confused.gif
or those that just want to buy it, the show is available for purchase on the history channel website..it will ship out to you on 11JAN2010. Mine is ordered as I dont have a DVR.

SO FAR...

20 minutes into it, good stuff.

1 flaw so far, talking about a rem 700, but in the "mission" dramatization, he is holding a savage....sorry west coast.

so far this show is pretty good, Hope that everyone is watching right now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if not, i imagine they'll air it again, however it's a really good story line, i may have to purchase a copy.
</div></div>

They will be showing it again in two hours. Do not miss it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Missed the first 30 minutes . Anyone know if you can watch this online later ? </div></div>
Scheduled again for 0100 Monday morning.
(E.S.T)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Missed the first 30 minutes . Anyone know if you can watch this online later ? </div></div>
Scheduled again for 0100 Monday morning.
(E.S.T) </div></div>

Probably gonna miss it then too . I spent 7 hours skiing today and its currently snowing at my local resort . Probably gonna go again in the morning if they get more than 5-6 inches .

I will have my pard DVR it .

I'm in LOVE with the blood splattering all over the walls!!!!!

Always a nice touch. Not bad for the History Channel!!!

GOOD SHOW!!

darn i had to watch inglorious bastids with the wife instead and its a work night....maybe they'll show it this week some evening.
i also missed the wed. sniper show this past week. looks like this is better from the thread so far.

I enjoyed it. Wish they said the dope they were dialing at the 2600 yard remake shot.

CKA: it wouldn't be comparable to the dope in the original shot anyway, because of the altitude difference.

It was a very good show, well done with historic film and good graphics.

They got a surprising number of things right. And the ability of that Marine sniper in Fallujah to hit fast movers at range is just astonishing.

There were a couple of minor errors. Mark Spicer noted that at higher altitude, the muzzle velocity is higher. Velocity downrange will be higher because of reduced air density, but muzzle velocity is only a function of temperature.

And in the segment on Rob Furlong's shot, Rob mentioned that he held about 4 mils lead and 4 mils high. The program graphic described 4 mils as "about" 15 feet, but 4 mils at that distance - 2430 yards - is actually 7 feet and about 3.5 inches.

I think it was an excellent exposition on the sniper's art.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CKA: it wouldn't be comparable to the dope in the original shot anyway, because of the altitude difference.</div></div>

Yeah I know. I still wanted to know what he was dialing. They stated the difference in environmental conditions before they tried to duplicate it. I would have liked to run that info on my ballistics programs to compare.

yeah I agree with you on that. It made them more credible though to me and other shooters I think. It didn't give the impression of the original shot being BS, but more of how difficult the actual shot would have been.

I saw it. It was really good.

Definitely impressed that the Marine was able to hit those movers.

I'm still not convinced the Hathcock shot can be reproduced. Not doubting the man but by my understanding it isn't possible for a bullet to go straight through a 5" tube at 300 yards. 30 yards sure, but wouldn't the arc of the bullet at 300 be such that you can't put the bullet through a 5" long 1" diameter tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...wouldn't the arc of the bullet at 300 be such that you can't put the bullet through a 5" long 1" diameter tube.</div></div>

Nah. With my standard load, on a shot at 300 yards, the bullet is dropping at an angle of about 0.22 degrees. Over the 5" length of the tube, that drop is only 0.02 inches.

Besides, it might very well bounce off the sides of the tube and go straight through.

And the real point is, the Gunny got the shot off first, and got the kill, against a very skilled opponent. I don't care where the shot really went.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw it. It was really good.

Definitely impressed that the Marine was able to hit those movers.

I'm still not convinced the Hathcock shot can be reproduced. Not doubting the man but by my understanding it isn't possible for a bullet to go straight through a 5" tube at 300 yards. 30 yards sure, but wouldn't the arc of the bullet at 300 be such that you can't put the bullet through a 5" long 1" diameter tube.
</div></div>

I have mulled on this since the Myth Buster fruitcakes tried to take this one.

I still think it is possible. Yes there is a an arc of bullet flight path. But the round could pierce the front ocular and actually deflect in the steel tube and send the round out the objective into the VC.

Or, he could have hit the tube and crammed that scope off it's weak mount into his skull. Either way, I would not take the chance of letting someone shoot my objective while prone to prove them wrong.

Not doubting that the shot was made. Just doubting that you could reproduce the shot.

Any number of things could have happened to send the bullet and/or scope fragments into/through the VC's head.

Like I said, not doubting that the shot happened.

Best show of its kind I think I've seen! Sh*t, I think I actually learned a couple things from a television show...that alone makes it unique and worth the price of admission!
grin.gif

I agree it was the best show on!Well done, and yes learned a thing or too.

I thought the show was great. Learned alot as I am novice to long range shooting..
Snipers have an amazing skill set. I am so greatful for them and all the men and woman that serve....

That was probably the best show they've put out there since Blind Man's Bluff, a few years back. Good solid descriptions of remarkable shooting, in most cases by the shooters themselves. Must get in there and make sure the DVR doesn't erase it.

I finished watching it this morning before leaving for work. I really enjoyed it. I was very impressed that they showed how difficult it was to replicate the 1.5 mi kill by Rob Furlong. I thought the show captured the skills and are of the sniper.

It was very entertaining, although I missed the first 20 minutes and tuned in when they were talking about Chuck Mawhinney.

My only disappointment was when one of the McMillan brothers attempted to hit a target at 2400m and couldn't even spot the splash from his McBros 50cal rifle. If he had been more prepared for the shot, say, by getting dope at 1km first or chosing a better target location with less vegatation, it would have been more successful.

The discussion of the Canadian's Taliban kill at that range illustrates how good equipment, skill, and luck can come together in an outstanding result. The word "luck" was said a few times last night, but you only get lucky if you can get close without it.

I was impressed by how well these guys can shoot with a 9x to 12x max power scope. Makes me wonder why we need a 25x S&B or PR. Since I just traded my 25x S&B for a 12x S&B, I hope I can measure up behind it.
wink.gif

Chuck Mawhinney,was something else.You talk about keeping your cool,and having a set of balls.

I guess that is why the M14 is still being used.Damn good rifle.