• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Springfield NRA Sporting Rifle

Calfed

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Last month I won this Springfield NRA Sporting Rifle at an auction. I brought it home recently and took a few pics. Looking forward to submitting a range report

AmzExVU.jpg

LiA42LJ.jpg

vojMMf3.jpg

N8muWVe.jpg

4vC23Q8.jpg

Only cartouche I could find was this "11" stamped in the pistol grip. Anyone know anything about this?

mMhJERX.jpg

Based on the Springfield 1903 rifle.

The Springfield Armory built about 5000 sporting rifles for NRA members between 1923 and 1938. These were made with a sporter stock, star gauge barrel and a Lyman 48 sight.

I've confirmed with the Springfield Research Service that my new rifle is listed by serial number as an NRA sporting rifle.

Last edited:
Based on the Springfield 1903 rifle.

The Springfield Armory built about 5000 sporting rifles for NRA members between 1923 and 1938. These were made with a sporter stock, star gauge barrel and a Lyman 48 sight.

I've confirmed with the Springfield Research Service that my new rifle is listed by serial number as an NRA sporting rifle.
Called a Type T or Heavy right?

Reactions: Calfed
Those are rare, and really cool. Made by a government arsenal for civilians, back in the day, when the US gov. didn't fear the citizenry.
Lucky man to get one of those. Congrats.

That's a "H" on the stock. I'm too lazy to go to my library to look it up.

Congratulations. I have a similar one w/star gauge barrel, Lyman 48 rear aperture and it's fitted with a G&H QD scope base. It was sold to the original owner for $7.50 through CMP. I suspect the work was done at Springfield Armory. He was a major assigned there at the time (I confirmed it with Springfield Armory National Historic Monument).

Check out William Brophy (or Clark Campbell's) book on the Springfield.

I went ahead and removed the sporter from the stock to see what was inside. Anyone familiar with the lettering inside the barrel channel?

wEvnlxA.jpg

oqNfvrF.jpg

BbVPLv9.jpg

yafBpDw.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
These rifles are awesome. Ive read they even shoot a bit better than 1903NM's(I reckon the Lyman sights could play a part in that though).

Reactions: Calfed