• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New SPS actions as donors? Issues?

218bee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Hudson Valley, NY
Is there any difference in the new SPS Rem. 700 Short Action receiver/bolt/bottom metal I should know about before I get one for a HB .308 build?

I have a new takeoff 1990's vintage Rem. factory .308 barrel w/lug and was wondering if the new SPS line would be a good donor? I have heard about quality control issues like off-kilter lugs, etc, but for a build is anything different than , say, a 1970's or 80's receiver/bolt/bottom metal?

thanks

218bee

The currently produced actions are fine, especially if you are going to be truing it anyways.
I like the older actions.
They spent more hand-work time on them smoothing out the sharp edges and actually polishing and bluing them.
The SPS are sandblasted and black oxided.
The old polished and blued actions just have a smoother bolt feel when you are running the bolt in and out of the action.