• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new sps tactical

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I just ordered a new sps tactical in .308. Is there anything special I need to do other than shoot the fool out of it? What kind of accuracy modifications are recommended? Are the Hogue stocks any good?

Re: new sps tactical

just shoot it, the Hogues work for some people some others, not so much I wouldn't do any action work until you rebarrel

Are these rifles normally a 1 MOA gun or is it hit or miss? I was just wondering what to expect. What bullet weights do they usually like?

155's and 168's for the bullet weights, Mine will outshoot me all day And I average 3/4 moa most groups start with three or four shots making one raggad hole then I come along and fuck it up. Its a good rifle to start with. Just get the plastic stock replaced when you get the $$$.

with FGMM 168's mine was factory sub MOA. Just shoot her first without preconcieved notions about what sucks or what works or what needs to be replaced. Put rounds through her, and anything that doesnt work for you will show itself.

Mine is sub-MOA with 168 FGMM as well. Just shoot it and make changes later if you like. FWIW I chrono'd the 168's @ about 5000' elevation and it averaged out @ 2580fps. I have some 175gr HSM ammo that I'm going to try out this weekend.

I love mine too...only (2) complaints...gotta get a better bolt knob, and the stock is a bit flexy. Really looking at a nice B&C, but want to learn with what I have in stock form first. Great shooter out of the box for sure. Just put a Harris BP on it with notched legs and swivel, takes a bit of getting used to, but great all around package for the money imho
smile.gif

Bolt can be lived with, stock needs some luvin if your gonna be consistant.

308 SPS Tactical, AICS Stock Got it off another hide member, built right and shoots lights out.
Rem700_AICS.jpg

Same rifle in the B&C stock that came off my Rem XCR tactical
DSCN06001.JPG

SPS tactical with the B&C light varmit/tactical stock, this thing was $215 to my door from one of the online stock dealers. sold the hogue for $50 on fleabay sold whole rig to another hide member
DSC01667.JPG

And for giggles here is that same rifle in an HS Sand colored police stock
Photo0026.jpg

Sub MOA with 168 FGM, 1/2" with no load work just shooting reloads for another 308 I have, 165 sierra game king.

Its a good starting platform.

throw decent glass a decent stock and some decent ammo at it and you will not be disapointed.