• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New SPS Tacticals first day at the range.

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
About 7 months ago I sold my 700P and built up a 18" ar15 but couldn't get comfortable behind it, so I picked this up last week. Had to pull some old reloads that had just been necksized and then resized/reseated bullets. Felt comfortable behind right away.

700 SPS Tactical in 308
EGW 20 MOA Base
Harris Bipod with Podlock
TAB sling
Eagle pack
Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

I pulled the action out of the stock and sanded down the forend of the stock where it touched the barrel. Took 1/8 inch off the forend under the barrel and it freefloats all the way to the recoil lug.

742d1e0c.jpg

90072594.jpg

100 Yard target. Center group was first group after sighting in. Then top left. Took a break and shot the top right and bottom right. Took another break and shot the bottom left. Groups averaged out to just under .9"

Nut on the trigger was a little rusty.
d2e925a4.jpg

Stretched it out to 200 with my reloads of 45gns varget and 175SMK's 10 shot group measured 3.5. Two outer shots were number 6 and 7 and totally my fault.

120a480e.jpg

Anyhow, need some practice if I'm gonna win the cup!

Re: New SPS Tactiicals first day at the range.

i've got a 10x40 Busnell 3200 elite, and have no probs with the 700,800yd stuff.. But run out a elevation on the 1000+ stuff..

Looks like it shoots just like mine. Now all you need is a scope with more adjustment. 10x supersniper would do that rifle alot of good.

I'm saving my pennies for NF 3.5-15x50.

Hopefully next month if it all works out.

That will work even better.

As a side note, don't be compleatly but off by some people saying that the rifle wont shoot with that stock. As you've proven to yourself it can be done and my fathers SPS-T in the original stock will routinly shoot .5 moa and has gone into the teens on three occations. Its also a regular shooter on steel at 600. If you like the stock the rifle will shoot just fine.

I actually really do like the stock. At least not enough to drop 600 bucks on a replacement. I had the HS Precision one on my 700P and hated it.

I've no doubt the rifle is an a good .5 MOA Rifle. I haven't shot a bolt gun in six months and could feel myself jerking the trigger quite a bit. A rear bag would have helped a lot as well

In fact thats my one complaint on this gun. The round smooth trigger. My 700P had a rifle basix with a flat ribbed trigger shoe and that one was much nicer. The current trigger is probably 4 pounds and the brake is nice...just dont like the trigger shoe.

I hope to take it out to 600 this friday if I my buddy will let me up to his land.

Now you just gotta get that NF scope. I bet 600 would be interesting with a regular duplex reticle.

800 yards, at night, no NVD just moonlight. Hitting steel no problem with 145gr Monarchs. You'll love this rifle it a real nail driver!

no, dont plan on painting it...just shooting it tell the barrel wears out. My plan is to upgrade the optics right now and get a couple thousand rounds through it. Hopefully get a chance to try out some different stocks in the mean time...I really like the look of the McMillan HTG. I think that might be a real good fit since this gun is also goinng to be seeing duty as a hunting rifle.

It could be me getting better, but mine seemed to start shooting better once it had 150 rounds or so through it. Around .5 moa 3 shot groups.

rrflyer I think your definitely going in the right direction with it. You can't really go wrong with mcmillian. Good luck to you

<span style="font-style: italic">Think you went the wrong way </span>

Seemed like he was calling me a liar. Considering what he wrote after my link and commenting on my Post. Sorry for the mix up and Maybe next time Dan Ausmus You could say your talking about your Rifle:)

Really now? explain. Im all ears. All i did was share my experience with my SPS and call me names?

I like the Manners MCS-T over the McMillan HTG for hunting. The MCS-T has a much better cheek weld.

You made the comment that you didn't like the HS stock on the 700P. That model has the palm swells that I don't like. If thats the case with you look into the 700VS stock. I have one on mine that I absolutely love. I got it for around 250 ish.
If you do get one of the older ones be careful because you'll have to grind out the stock for the wider safety on the X Mark. I had to do it to mine since it makes the bolt release stick and not function. Give the VS take off a shot.

Welcome back to the bolt gun crowd.