• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New stock 5R or $1700 for a 5R with Krieger barrel

Clicky762

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Met a guy today selling a boat load of precision rifles at a gun show. I've been planning a 5r purchase for a while now, but he had a 5r milspec with a new krieger barrel. He said there was 20rds of FGMM down the barrel and he got one hole groups out of it. He was asking $1700, but I sensed wiggle room in that. 1 hole groups is probably more precise than me, but it would be nice to work up to that. The krieger doesn't have 5R rifling, and I'm not sure of the twist.

My dilemma is should I pay $1000 for a stock milspec and hope for 0.5 moa or so, or pay $1700 or less for a 5r action/stock with a new krieger barrel?

I'm slow to spend money on myself, and $700 is substantial on a $1000 rifle. I could put $700+ worth of ammo down range and eventually rebarrel with a high end barrel.

Re: New stock 5R or $1700 for a 5R with Krieger barrel

My suggestion would be to purchase the stock 5R and use the $700 for ammo/optics.

Good Luck

yea, for one you taking his word on those one hole groups, which Could be a load of bull. not to mention theres no 5R action, hes just selling you a krieger barrel on a rem action. the 5R is the barrel rifling not the action. so hes prolly snowin ya on the whole thing. He knew you wanted a 5r so he told you it was a 5r action with a krieger barrel which sparked your interest. dont be fooled. Like they said above. Get your 5r and upgrade as your funds allow

good luck with your purchase

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion would be to purchase the stock 5R and use the $700 for ammo/optics.

Good Luck </div></div>

I've already set aside other money for either the bushnell FFP or Vortex FFP, badger base & rings, harris bipod, eagle stock pack, and a drag bag. Rifle did come with a mark 4 one piece base, but i'd prolly sell that off or throw it in my spare parts bin.

If it is a 5r with a Kreiger barrel, then it is NOT a 5r, it is a stainless 700 action with a kreiger barrel.
A 5R barrel is what makes a 5R a 5R.
Now, if it had a new Rock 5R barrel, it would still be a 5r.

Buy a new, unused 5R and shoot 1 hole groups with it or buy a cheap, donor 700 action and have a rock 5r barrel installed.

Are you a 1/2 MOA or better driver?

Would go with the standard 5R. Get good optics (Vortex PST or similar). Burn out that barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea, for one you taking his word on those one hole groups, which Could be a load of bull. not to mention theres no 5R action, hes just selling you a krieger barrel on a rem action. the 5R is the barrel rifling not the action. so hes prolly snowin ya on the whole thing. He knew you wanted a 5r so he told you it was a 5r action with a krieger barrel which sparked your interest. dont be fooled. Like they said above. Get your 5r and upgrade as your funds allow

good luck with your purchase </div></div>

The action was stainless with the same black/green hs stock that comes on the new 5r, so I'm pretty confident it began life as a Rem 700 5r milspec. I understand what "5R" means, but when i say "5R" it get the point accross quicker than Remington 700 ss 5r milspec action, stock, and trigger with a krieger barrel.

My initial line of thinking was that I could talk him down to at least $1500 cash ftf so no tax. If I pay $1000 for a new 5r and add $100 for ffl fee and shipping we're really only talking about an extra $400 for krieger barrel and one hole group precision. Plus I could sell the mark 4 base/rings it came with to recoup some of that $400.

After thinking on it a bit and listening to y'all, I'm thinking I should got stock 5R, shoot the piss out of it and rebarrel down the road, maybe with Rock 5r or krieger's new 5R or something along those lines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is a 5r with a Kreiger barrel, then it is NOT a 5r, it is a stainless 700 action with a kreiger barrel.

Buy a new, unused 5R and shoot 1 hole groups with it or buy a cheap, donor 700 action and have a rock 5r barrel installed. </div></div>

Krieger makes a 5R rifled barrel as well. It could have a Krieger 5R tube on it. Can't discount it not being a 5R because of the Krieger.

But, who knows. One thing I have learned is my definition of a 1 hole group and a "guy-selling-me-a-gun-at-a-gun-show's" defition is typically very different.

Good call on the 5R. You will really enjoy it.

Getting the stock 5R would be the way to go. The difference in savings would be well spent on practice ammo and other accessories. When funds arise and the original barrel burns up, you can get the barrel of your choice. Good luck.

Good choice on the stock 5R. No telling who screwed the barrel on the $1700 rifle and you don't seem to be familiar with the guy selling the rifle(i.e., you don't know his reputation for honesty).

You are going to be a happy camper.

Krieger Barrel Math:

SS Barrel $295
5R Rifling upcharge $30
Install and Chamber $270
Action Truing Level II $175
Shipping $30

Total $800.

Now with the Rem 5R with the Krieger barrel do you know if he had the action trued?

Look at it this way:

New Stock Rem 5r $1000.
FFL fee and shipping $100.
Krieger Barrel plus
Fitting and Truing $800.

Total $1900.

I would imagine you could get back around $250. for selling off a new take-off 5r barrel. Making it a net cost to you of $1650.

Knowing what was done to your rifle and by whom: Priceless.....

Your call, but at least you know the numbers.

Bob

My 2 cent's. I have a Savage 110 action in a benchrest stock.
It's barreled with a Rock in 30-06. Let Me say, many Great
barrel makers out there and Rock is at or near the top.

P.S. Gunshows are like the traveling circus. People there
may or may not be seen again. # 1 , NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
buy a firearm on impulse. Learn what questions need answers
before You start looking. The gunshow promoter is usually
easy to find and knows the Vendors. Don't be afraid to
question credentials. If all else fails, take a knowledgeable
and trusted person with You.

Good luck and be well.

Dont touch it i would wonder why the 5r barrel needed replacing? if the barreled action is new why not use a cheeper rifle for a donor build. things dont add up if the rifle was rebarrled because it was shot out i dont know. so why rebarrel a 5R?

Also what proof does he have about the 5R shooting 1 hole groups? a new Krieger usualy takes over 20 rounds to be properly run in so i would not be believing him about shooting only 20 rounds and they being one hole 5 shot groups. I think he is just trying to sell a rifle and i would not touch it get the 5R and shoot it spend the coin on ammo and shooting it is envaluable to have the practice and a rifle that shoots 1/2" everytime you take it out is great in my books.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is a 5r with a Kreiger barrel, then it is NOT a 5r, it is a stainless 700 action with a kreiger barrel.

Buy a new, unused 5R and shoot 1 hole groups with it or buy a cheap, donor 700 action and have a rock 5r barrel installed. </div></div>Krieger has been selling 5R barrels since November. I have one on my .308. Check their web sight.

I bought a Remington Mil-Spec 5R about this time last year and sold it in the Fall to fund a new scope. Scope is great but I wish I still had the Remmy. I thought the stock sucked especially the grip, but the gun was a shooter.

Buy the basic Remmy 5R, shoot the barrel out and use the extra $700 on a good stock.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clicky762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Met a guy today selling a boat load of precision rifles at a gun show. I've been planning a 5r purchase for a while now, but he had a 5r milspec with a new krieger barrel. He said there was 20rds of FGMM down the barrel and he got one hole groups out of it. He was asking $1700, but I sensed wiggle room in that. 1 hole groups is probably more precise than me, but it would be nice to work up to that. The krieger doesn't have 5R rifling, and I'm not sure of the twist.

My dilemma is should I pay $1000 for a stock milspec and hope for 0.5 moa or so, or pay $1700 or less for a 5r action/stock with a new krieger barrel?

I'm slow to spend money on myself, and $700 is substantial on a $1000 rifle. I could put $700+ worth of ammo down range and eventually rebarrel with a high end barrel.</div></div>

Krieger has been selling 5r barrels since November. However, at this point I believe it is only in 22,6mm, 6.5,and 30 calibers. Check their web sight for the latest update.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is a 5r with a Kreiger barrel, then it is NOT a 5r, it is a stainless 700 action with a kreiger barrel.

Buy a new, unused 5R and shoot 1 hole groups with it or buy a cheap, donor 700 action and have a rock 5r barrel installed.</div></div>

get the stock of your choice, a used 700 action, and send the whole thing off to have it put together with the barrel of your choice. you will spend roughly the same amount of money (maybe more, but not definitely) and have a rifle whose "pedigree" you know.

I would say buy the standard 5R. I have order a few barrels from Kreiger, and even with the install, I don't see an additional $700 there.

BobinNC you are the man for providing that data.

Clicky, get a new or used factory 5R and spend the rest on optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say buy the standard 5R. I have order a few barrels from Kreiger, and even with the install, I don't see an additional $700 there. </div></div>

head2h2o,

The prices I quoted are directly from Krieger website. Of course if you have a custom action, like a Badger, Surgeon, et al, you can forgo the action truing, and save the $175.

But if you have a stock factory Rem 700 action, action truing is worth the price. Once done though, you don't have to have it done again for subsequent re-barrels.

Bob

If you have to have a 5R barrel, I've used a couple dozen of the 'originals' over the the years, Obermeyer makes an awesome barrel, hard to get, but definitely worth the wait.
www.obermeyerbarrels.com