• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing new stock, swap or pay a gun smith

dshag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
dfw, tx
I have a remington 700 5r in 300 win mag with 24 in barrel. I just picked up a mcmillan a5 stock that is used and had a oversize recoil lug on the previous gun. Never changed a stock before and considering it. How hard is it and would i be better off just paying a gun smith near me to do it? How much should it cost? Anything else i should do at the same time? Thanks

For best results have it professionally bedded...the top smiths charge around the $300 mark
This would be the time to add a DBM if that is something you have considered

Stock has badgers dbm and magazine already. I will probably just pillar bed it for now

There is a bedding tutorial on this site somewhere that I read once. It is actually very well done, and does a really excellent job of describing how to do it yourself.

However, if you aren't good with using tools, or aren't comfortable doing work yourself, I would have a professional do the work. For someone who is a machinist, knife maker, carpenter, or other type of person familiar with doing work with tools, it really isn't all that difficult. I have bedded a number of my rifles myself, and had professionals do other rifles because the rifle was already there for other work. A side benefit of using a good professional, is that they will often educate you about a number of things before doing the work. Often, this education is quite useful.

If you do decide to do it yourself, use lots of release compound. Then use even more release compound. Having a rifle glued into the stock when you didn't plan on that can wreck a stock pretty fast.

Any gunsmith reccommendations for dfw area? While this is something i could probably do myself with a buddy id feel better having it done professionally.