• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New suppressor

Ballisticpiece

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Hi, I recently just got my new AAC cyclone and i set up a target at 100yds, my first few shots were in a tight group which i was happy to see.(and im pretty sure were all the same load)however i was shooting up diffrent powders and weight bullets and my shots seemed to stray quite a bit so i am basically wondering if everyone thinks that it has too do with the bullet weight and powder or the fact that i was shooting from an AR and the suppressor heats up fairly quickly and wondered if that may have anything to do with it but i couldnt find anyone else saying they have had that kinda problem.

What does guys think? thanks

Re: New suppressor

So you are shooting different bullet weights and powders and don't know it shifts you POI?

scary.

Different bullets, powders, primers, cases, etc. will all play into causing a load to show a different POI. The suppressor heating up shouldn't cause too much of a POI shift, unless it is loosening up on you.

well i just had a few different loads made up to try out and didnt expect to see such a variation at 100yds i have since loaded up a lot of the same weight bullets and same powder charge and just havent had time to try those out. thanks for the info..

Anytime you hang a heavy item off the end of your barrel it will change the node of the barrel. Unfortunately, just because you have a super accurate load with the naked barrel, doesn't necessarily mean it will be accurate at all suppressed.

I would recommend doing another ladder test with the can on and working up some new "suppressed loads".

ok thanks, I went back and loaded some 168gr sierra BTHP with close to the same powder charge in each one i plan on shooting and then seeing if those group real well then i might switch it up if i dont like it, when i was shooting i just didnt expect to see a shift of 4 or 6 inches at 100yds.
thanks ill give that a try

If you can, back up to 300 to 600 yards and shoot. You may be able to read your load development results better when running loads.

Just a thought.

ok ive got enough room to maybe go 500yds i just wanted to make sure it wasnt the suppressor before moving on i agree that the supppressor acting as more weight on the front changed the POI becuase i had to resight in the rifle, im also kinda new to this and just assumed i should zero the gun at 100yds and move back from their

If you plan on shooting different loads then expect a different POI/POA at 100 yards with a suppresor. I would suggest that you zero at 100 yards and just write down the dope for each round that you plan on using to get a zero on the different loads you are using....give that a try and see if that works. Once you have the dope for the different loads back up to 200, 300, 400 and 500 and see if your groups hold together.

Also, if you have a screw on can if it starts loosening up and isn't tight you will loose accuaracy real quick. Tighten the shit out of the can onto the threads using a strap wrench so you dont bend or mark up your can...its also alot easire to remove a tightly attached can using one of these types of wrenches.

Let us know how it goes. happy shooting.

I second making sure every few rounds that the can is attached tightly because that will change you POI