• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Thermal Scope Mid-High End Category

Roadrace33

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2023
Illinois
I currently have a pulsar trail 2 xp50 LRF, and just looking to get something new, update this one. I may keep this one for a buddy to use, may trade it in. I only use them for night coyote season in Illinois, which is only a few months. I was considering getting a
Pulsar XL50
Pulsar XG50
Or Nvision Halo.
Each would be LRF.
My local guy that sells them is pushing the IRay stuff specifically the Hybrid and the Bolt pretty good, I just don’t know if I can buy the brand. Heard a lot of it being chineseium, not entirely sure how true it all is. I am going to go look through them all this weekend, but I was curious if anyone else has, and what they recommend. It’s obviously expensive, and it seems like the Nvision is great, but I feel like the image on the pulsars are a little better, atleast videos of them on the web seem to be a tad better.

The pulsars im pretty used to by now, I’ve had the trail 2 for a few years. It seems like the new rage was the Halo.

I’m typically shooting between 50-500 yards. Im able to make further shots, I just haven’t yet. So far I really like the idea of the 3x base mag of the XG50..

Thanks all for any input.

I will help you out I have had many high end thermals dated back to when trijicon was the only game in town if ya dig I have had a handful of clip on thermals aswell still have a Eotech clipir xelr I’m currently running that in combination with a Revic pmr28 so I can use pulsar merger to range dial the pmr 28 to desired yardage bang no bullshit at night. On a side not clip ons are heavy and Revic has not had there shit together since last years shot show where is the lighter slimmer models of the pmr28
I sold both of my xrf great scopes nvision has to technology apps easy videos ect you get it not every one needs that the infinity focus has always gelt like it lacked in my eyes always felt as I wanted to reach up for the manual focus that was not there but as soon as the ballistic program was available for the pulsar I got an xg as far as ballistic programs I feel as if this should have been in scopes 10 years ago it pulsar ballistic program works great my son 12 years of age has taken few yotes with it my girl few yotes nothing closer than 248 yards I have taken a yote at 526 yards. If the ballistic program is set up correctly it’s fast and accurate as far as the other scopes with rangefinders I personally do not want the Bluetooth stuff. Only downside I see with the new pulsar stuff is the rear screen resolution the iray bolt 2560x2560 come on pulsar it’s 2023
My go to setup as of now 22 creedmoor pulsar thermion lrf xg best night set I have had to date would never look back just waiting patiently for the pulsar thermion lrf in 1024 with a 60 70 mm lens 4 or 5 power and a 2560x2560 rear screen then I’m all set maybe 6mm prc primal or 22 prc primal
Could you sum this up in like 2-3 sentences? I’m being serious

I assume he means he sold his nvisions and bought pulsars and he’s happier.

I checked them all out this weekend. The clarity at base mag on the XRF is very similar to the pulsar xl-50 at its 3.5x mag. The XRF may be slightly better. Of course the native 1.7x on the xl50 is great, but id be using 3.5x mag more often, so that’s more important. The base mag of 3x is great on the XG50, but I think the XL is the better choice on the pulsar line. I feel the XRF is the better scope, comes with its price too. Just a bit worried about the feedback I’ve heard on them with issues. My pulsar trail 2 has never skipped a beat. Almost makes me wanna stay with pulsar, when I truly want the Nvision.

Not sure, gonna take a few days before I decide.

I will help you out I have had many high end thermals dated back to when trijicon was the only game in town if ya dig I have had a handful of clip on thermals aswell still have a Eotech clipir xelr I’m currently running that in combination with a Revic pmr28 so I can use pulsar merger to range dial the pmr 28 to desired yardage bang no bullshit at night. On a side not clip ons are heavy and Revic has not had there shit together since last years shot show where is the lighter slimmer models of the pmr28
I sold both of my xrf great scopes nvision has to technology apps easy videos ect you get it not every one needs that the infinity focus has always gelt like it lacked in my eyes always felt as I wanted to reach up for the manual focus that was not there but as soon as the ballistic program was available for the pulsar I got an xg as far as ballistic programs I feel as if this should have been in scopes 10 years ago it pulsar ballistic program works great my son 12 years of age has taken few yotes with it my girl few yotes nothing closer than 248 yards I have taken a yote at 526 yards. If the ballistic program is set up correctly it’s fast and accurate as far as the other scopes with rangefinders I personally do not want the Bluetooth stuff. Only downside I see with the new pulsar stuff is the rear screen resolution the iray bolt 2560x2560 come on pulsar it’s 2023
My go to setup as of now 22 creedmoor pulsar thermion lrf xg best night set I have had to date would never look back just waiting patiently for the pulsar thermion lrf in 1024 with a 60 70 mm lens 4 or 5 power and a 2560x2560 rear screen then I’m all set maybe 6mm prc primal or 22 prc primal

Nobody has any idea what you intended to communicate. 🙂

Try punctuation and short sentences with specific purposes (one intended idea per sentence).

Not being an ass. It sounds like you have very useful real world knowledge to pass on. I want to learn what you have to say 🙂.

I sold my xrf to go to the XG50 2. The trail XQ 2 has been my favorite scope for the price, I love pulsar features but wanted a 640 (went xrf as xg lrf wasn’t available at the time) Sold the XG after 2 weeks and went back to the xrf. It needs to be nuked was too often, and doesn’t do as well as the halo in inclement weather and the batteries suck ass. I bought 12 rechargeable 18650 for the price of one aps2 and don’t have to worry about putting the xrf in standby to conserve battery life

I sold my xrf to go to the XG50 2. The trail XQ 2 has been my favorite scope for the price, I love pulsar features but wanted a 640 (went xrf as xg lrf wasn’t available at the time) Sold the XG after 2 weeks and went back to the xrf. It needs to be nuked was too often, and doesn’t do as well as the halo in inclement weather and the batteries suck ass. I bought 12 rechargeable 18650 for the price of one aps2 and don’t have to worry about putting the xrf in standby to conserve battery life
Good to know. I believe the pulsar stuff can be set to auto calibrate though right? I’m almost positive my trail 2 xp50 auto calibrates, does it ever minute or two. Shuts a lens on the inside of the scope, picture freezes for a second then back to normal.
Either way, Good to know from someone whose had hands and time on both.

I was able to play with the XRF some and i noticed while running the bolt and pulling the trigger dry firing on my accuracy international that the screen would have some distortion. Surely this cant be normal, can it?

Seemed like while running the bolt back to the hard stop and pulling the trigger it would make those horizontal lines, almost like a fuzzy old TV is the best way i can describe it.

The video is kinda shitty, it was transferred to my cell phone, then emailed to myself, and then finally uploaded. But you can clearly see the distortion im talking about.

I could understand this happening if i was firing a .50 or something, but not while running the bolt on a 15Lb rifle.

Good to know. I believe the pulsar stuff can be set to auto calibrate though right? I’m almost positive my trail 2 xp50 auto calibrates, does it ever minute or two. Shuts a lens on the inside of the scope, picture freezes for a second then back to normal.
Either way, Good to know from someone whose had hands and time on both.

You can set it up either way, auto calibrate which the unit does itself and you don’t have to close the lid, and semi or manual where you close the cap then calibrate with the button. The XQ 2 would need to be calibrated multiple times 3-4 times a minute especially when getting out of the truck, it didn’t seem to handle temp swings well at all in my opinion

As far as your video, I do get lines also when I fire, but I’ve never really found it to be an issue. When I’m shooting a dog I’m focused on that I guess lol

Reactions: Roadrace33
I currently have a pulsar trail 2 xp50 LRF, and just looking to get something new, update this one. I may keep this one for a buddy to use, may trade it in. I only use them for night coyote season in Illinois, which is only a few months. I was considering getting a
Pulsar XL50
Pulsar XG50
Or Nvision Halo.
Each would be LRF.
My local guy that sells them is pushing the IRay stuff specifically the Hybrid and the Bolt pretty good, I just don’t know if I can buy the brand. Heard a lot of it being chineseium, not entirely sure how true it all is. I am going to go look through them all this weekend, but I was curious if anyone else has, and what they recommend. It’s obviously expensive, and it seems like the Nvision is great, but I feel like the image on the pulsars are a little better, atleast videos of them on the web seem to be a tad better.

The pulsars im pretty used to by now, I’ve had the trail 2 for a few years. It seems like the new rage was the Halo.

I’m typically shooting between 50-500 yards. Im able to make further shots, I just haven’t yet. So far I really like the idea of the 3x base mag of the XG50..

Thanks all for any input.
Why dont you give me a call and we can discuss some thermal optics...also get you a deal if possible😉
Ring EuroOptic and ask for Connor

You can set it up either way, auto calibrate which the unit does itself and you don’t have to close the lid, and semi or manual where you close the cap then calibrate with the button. The XQ 2 would need to be calibrated multiple times 3-4 times a minute especially when getting out of the truck, it didn’t seem to handle temp swings well at all in my opinion

As far as your video, I do get lines also when I fire, but I’ve never really found it to be an issue. When I’m shooting a dog I’m focused on that I guess lol
Gotcha. I was assuming the unit id been messing with was faulty, but maybe thats the way they are.

I also like how much simpler the XRF was to use, right out of the box it seemed like i already knew what buttons did what. The menu is also really easy to use. The pulsar it definitely took me a bit, especially being used to a Trail 2, the buttons were all way different. I wish the XRF had PIP though. It's a neat thing to have if you wanted it.

Gotcha. I was assuming the unit id been messing with was faulty, but maybe thats the way they are.

I also like how much simpler the XRF was to use, right out of the box it seemed like i already knew what buttons did what. The menu is also really easy to use. The pulsar it definitely took me a bit, especially being used to a Trail 2, the buttons were all way different. I wish the XRF had PIP though. It's a neat thing to have if you wanted it.

It is pretty easy to navigate. I like the range finder being near the crosshair and constant ranging if wanted. I do agree about PIP, I do miss that sometimes. I have the xrf setup on single button zoom, press the button and it goes to the 4x digital, then press again to base mag so that helps a little

I have a Pulsar XG50, (the old school one they discontinued, no LRF) and a Halo XRF. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Halo XRF Likes:
1. Rangefinder (when it works)
2. Battery Life is stellar
3. Image quality is good
4. Detection and ID distance is good.

Dislikes:
1. Not great on a bolt gun (especially if you are a lefty like me and the bolt hits the battery compartment)
2. I too get the fuzzy lines when I manipulate the bolt
3. Big and bulky form factor

Pulsar XG50 Likes
1. Price is good
2. Has held zero through multiple gun swaps and zeros
3. Form factor works great on bolt action and can mount in a standard set of rings
4. Have not detected the lines in the scope when manipulating the bolt

Dislikes:

1. Battery life is terrible in colder weather especially
2. Image quality not as good as the Halo XRF, but still pretty good
3. Detection and ID range not as good
4. No RF (looks like the one you are looking at has an RF)

The Nvision seems to be built more sturdy, but honestly, the Pulsar has held zero through everything I have put it through. If I wanted to save a little cash and give up just a bit of image quality I would go with the XG with the rangefinder.

Ive been extremely happy with my Iray products so far (except the LRF in cold weather). Ive ran the rico 640, bolt th50c, RL25, and ZH38. I dont think you will find a better value in the consumer thermal industry when it comes to price, image, battery life, warranty, etc.

Ive been extremely happy with my Iray products so far (except the LRF in cold weather). Ive ran the rico 640, bolt th50c, RL25, and ZH38. I dont think you will find a better value in the consumer thermal industry when it comes to price, image, battery life, warranty, etc.
I will agree. The Irays I looked through seemed like they did their homework, and the owner of my local store loves them. It’s all he uses on his own rifles as of now. I think it’s hard to beat the Iray given the more affordable price. It seems like they all produce a very similar image quality, but the image itself is slightly different per brand. Almost like looking at TVs at a store. Most all of them look great, but if you look at them closely you’ll notice minor detail differences, and the differences I noticed were negligible especially with how every scope reacts to conditions outside.

I will say the detection range on the nvision and the RF is outstanding. I spoke with a lot of people about the XRF issues, and it seems like most everything has been taken care of months ago. I genuinely feel like the XRF will be able to take the longer shots, easier. Really only talking 4-500 yards here, but with my current pulsar, a 300 yard shot is really pushing it.

I was rangefinding deer at 1300 yards last night, and the image was perfect. You could clearly tell it was a deer, not just some white blob out there. At this point I’m pretty well set on an XRF. Going to have to be an early Xmas gift 😁

I don't think you can go wrong with an xrf, great scope and great company as well..

This was my work-around for ranging/ballistics long range

Attachments

• 20231201_180129.jpg
    20231201_180129.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 71
I will agree. The Irays I looked through seemed like they did their homework, and the owner of my local store loves them. It’s all he uses on his own rifles as of now. I think it’s hard to beat the Iray given the more affordable price. It seems like they all produce a very similar image quality, but the image itself is slightly different per brand. Almost like looking at TVs at a store. Most all of them look great, but if you look at them closely you’ll notice minor detail differences, and the differences I noticed were negligible especially with how every scope reacts to conditions outside.

I will say the detection range on the nvision and the RF is outstanding. I spoke with a lot of people about the XRF issues, and it seems like most everything has been taken care of months ago. I genuinely feel like the XRF will be able to take the longer shots, easier. Really only talking 4-500 yards here, but with my current pulsar, a 300 yard shot is really pushing it.

I was rangefinding deer at 1300 yards last night, and the image was perfect. You could clearly tell it was a deer, not just some white blob out there. At this point I’m pretty well set on an XRF. Going to have to be an early Xmas gift 😁

Buy the Halo, you won't regret it. I currently have 2, sold last years to a buddy so its still in the family. All 3 have been ROCK SOLID, absolutely ZERO POI shifts and just keep on killing.

Nvision is the only one on your list thats all American owned, made and designed with American BAE cores. Iray is Chinese garbage.

Here's a little solo damage this year from my Halo XRFs....

20231022_134303.jpg

20231214_073648.jpg

Reactions: ping
Really enjoying my AGM Rattler TS50-640. It’s mounted on my 16” MPR in 6mm ARC. Also, AGM is an American company, owned by Americans, who build all their products in-house in Arizona. 👍🏼

IMG_3442.jpeg

Here’s a few stills through it…

Max magnification (20x) in black-hot mode at 200 yards on a steel deer target (life-size)… This was also during the middle of a cloudy afternoon, and it is not a thermal target, nor does it have thermal (or reflective) paint on it. Personally, I’m impressed at how well it picked up a cold steel target at that distance, but I was able to hit the heart every single time. 👍🏼

20231217150835.jpeg

Here’s an excavator at around 400-500 yards on the 2.5x (lowest) setting using black-hot mode.

20231212192028.jpeg

Here’s a house that’s around 700-800 yards on the 2.5x setting, using white-hot mode.

20231212192638.jpeg

Reactions: Devildog
Buy the Halo, you won't regret it. I currently have 2, sold last years to a buddy so its still in the family. All 3 have been ROCK SOLID, absolutely ZERO POI shifts and just keep on killing.

Nvision is the only one on your list thats all American owned, made and designed with American BAE cores. Iray is Chinese garbage.

Here's a little solo damage this year from my Halo XRFs....

View attachment 8299448

View attachment 8299449
I did end up buying the XRF. Just got it zeroed last night. It was awful conditions.
I looked at the manual and zeroing it doesn’t look like they go by MOA or Mils, but rather pixels, and it looks like mine took 29 pixels up and 2.5 to the right. This was kinda surprising to me as when zeroing it the reticle was nearing the tip top of the screen. When saving the zero it drops the reticle digitally back to the center of the screen, so I imagine that’s what it suppose to do.

29 seems like a lot, or is that normal? Either way, I do like it a lot. Tested it at 350 yards on raccoon silhouettes. It was dead on. Going to test it at 5-600 and make sure the mil reticle is lining up correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_9492.jpeg
    IMG_9492.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 37
I did end up buying the XRF. Just got it zeroed last night. It was awful conditions.
I looked at the manual and zeroing it doesn’t look like they go by MOA or Mils, but rather pixels, and it looks like mine took 29 pixels up and 2.5 to the right. This was kinda surprising to me as when zeroing it the reticle was nearing the tip top of the screen. When saving the zero it drops the reticle digitally back to the center of the screen, so I imagine that’s what it suppose to do.

29 seems like a lot, or is that normal? Either way, I do like it a lot. Tested it at 350 yards on raccoon silhouettes. It was dead on. Going to test it at 5-600 and make sure the mil reticle is lining up correctly.

Lane at Billet Precision machines a custom mount for the Halo XRF to run on bolt guns that positions it exactly where it needs to be for proper eye relief. For bolt gun guys I strongly recommend you look him up, I also think Nuggets Nightvision sells it.

The reason your having to adjust it that much is because of the cant in your rail, they are really designed for 0moa like flattop ARs

Another thing is you really want to make your adjustments at 8x magnification, it will be a much more precise zero. It has mil and moa based reticle but the values are only good at 2x. Thats something I really wish Nvision would do is a firmware update so the reticle is true FFP at all magnification settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mssony352
Lane at Billet Precision machines a custom mount for the Halo XRF to run on bolt guns that positions it exactly where it needs to be for proper eye relief. For bolt gun guys I strongly recommend you look him up, I also think Nuggets Nightvision sells it.

The reason your having to adjust it that much is because of the can't in your rail, they are really designed for 0moa like flattop ARs

Another thing is you really want to make your adjustments at 8x magnification, it will be a much more precise zero. It has mil and moa based reticle but the values are only good at 2x. Thats something I really wish Nvision would do is a firmware update so the reticle is true FFP at all magnification settings.
Ahh, okay that makes sense. Ya the 20moa rail will impact that won’t it.
I was in a bit of a hurry, with the weather and I zeroed it at 4x. I will re-check it on 4x and then 8x and see where it’s at.

I looked at getting the Bobro, but the eye relief is OK where it’s at now. It’s not horrible.

I wish they did a true FFP too. I called them and they explained the reticle. Basically the 1mil and 2 mil hash marks at 4X zoom become .5 and then 1 mil marks. Just halving it with every click of zoom, and doubling it when you are at base mag.