• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Tikka Tx3 223 Varmint

ranger43

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2018
Bismarck
I purchased a new Tikka T3 X Varmint in 223 and have trouble getting any kind of accuracy out of it so I had the store send it back to Tikka. They came back and said that it shot .9 inch groups at a hundred yards so no they wouldn't do anything. I am really disgusted because I have 2 other tikka's that shoot lights out even with factory ammo. So from my view Tikka customer service sucks. Given what they will allow for me to trade it, seems like I might consider a rebarrel. Has anyone tried profits? If so what brand worked. Doesn't. 9 inch groups sound suspicious when the warranty is one inch?

Thanks for the support. I tried 4 types of factory ammo. All the way from 55 grain to 73 grain All of whom shot around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2 or more. I have another Tikka t3 varmint in 223 and it shoots most ammo accurate but really loves 88 AMAX . The new one shot those in less than an inch. I don't shoot factory ammo unless required to. I can give some reloads a try, but not confident. My expectations are for all my varmint or target guns is .5 moa, anything more gets a new home. This new Tikka wouldn't hit a prairie dog at 300yds. I know a tuner would help. Which tuner is the best?

You need to temper your expectations. There are alot of variables and unless you are managing all of them, you cannot reasonably expect the performance you want.

Could be shooter, could be gun, could be optic, could be ammo could be accessories could be a ton of different shit. Could be cleaning or lack of cleaning. Could be a barrel not broken in yet. There are like hundreds of .223 loads out there, so try something else.

You are asking people for awsners but the truth is you need to go through everything yourself before you can make educated decisions on where to go next. A tuner could help but thats the last thing I would be worried about.

You need to temper your expectations. There are alot of variables and unless you are managing all of them, you cannot reasonably expect the performance you want.

Could be shooter, could be gun, could be optic, could be ammo could be accessories could be a ton of different shit. Could be cleaning or lack of cleaning. Could be a barrel not broken in yet. There are like hundreds of .223 loads out there, so try something else.

You are asking people for awsners but the truth is you need to go through everything yourself before you can make educated decisions on where to go next. A tuner could help but thats the last thing I would be worried about.
Thanks, I have a number of Savages, factory and rebarreled, Shoot regularly at 1K for fun, not competition and while this Particular Tikka may not shoot every bit of ammo well, but when even Tikka couldn't shoot it well, I believe it doesn't shoot well. I'm also suspicious of .9 seems so close to 1.0 I have two other Tikkas, both shot very well out of the box. Maybe my expectations are a bit high but I don't have use for a gun that can't shoot .5 moa for Prairie dogs or general target shooting. For hunting larger animals that is another manner. My expectations were based on my two Tikkas, and the customer service IMO is poor at best. I have returned a few guns, Savage, Winchester, Remington that didn't shoot well. All of these were taken care of by the company and came back shooting where I thought they should. Tikkas are known for their craftsmanship including very smooth barrels. It's so frustrating, I will also check the bedding.

You are correct,, Tikkas shoot,,, but sometimes we miss the problem,, over look it…I know… I am a Tikka shooter,,, sometimes it is right in front of me…. been there a few times…Look close…….Good Luck!!!

You are correct,, Tikkas shoot,,, but sometimes we miss the problem,, over look it…I know… I am a Tikka shooter,,, sometimes it is right in front of me…. been there a few times…Look close…….Good Luck!!!
Thanks, Tikka had it and didn't find it

OP, in my experience something isn't right in that rifle or optic. If you have another T3X Varmint that shoots well, I'd first try swapping the scopes. Followed by swapping the stocks... or simply adjusting the mounting bolt torque. I had a T3X Varmint that shot pretty well, but I brought it home from the shop and put the barreled action straight into an MDT chassis. I'm definitely not a fan of those tupperware stocks.

Hanging a tuner on it or continuing to throw still more kinds of ammo at it is almost certainly a waste of $$.

There's no doubt that Tikka (Beretta) "customer service" is lacking, and that's putting it mildly. I had a primer light-strike problem with my T3X Varmint; LGS sent it back to Beretta, they kept it five weeks, declared it "fixed," it wasn't, local smith diagnosed the problem (unradiused firing pin tip) and fixed it in about 15 minutes. If you have a reputable local smith, let him take a look (after you try swapping scopes & stocks).

Good luck.

Thanks,I have tried two different scopes with the same results. Tikka customer service used a 36x scope that they claimed they shot the .9 with. I have a suspicion it may be a bedding problem. That is where I will look first. Secondly I'm going to check out action screw tension. I have borescoped the barrel and it does not appear to have any issues that are visible. I wish I had another stock but believe tracing out the bedding should show me something. Thanks again for your advice. From hereon in I'll stick to rebarreling Savage actions and placing them in quality stocks. That's always worked out for me.

I have a T3x SUPER VARMINT and it shoots lights out. I single feed 88 grain ELD's and it shoots and tracks damn near my 6.5CM. I was running a Rem 700 5R for years but wanted a longer barrel and 1/8 twist. I like shooting heavies and this gun delivers.

It sucks you are not getting the results you want so check every variable and hopefully find something. Its not like a Tikka not to shoot, but you are getting Sub MAO so...

PB

I bought a 223 T3X Varmint in 2014 or 15 but it was not MOA until I learned the gun and tried different ammo. I've since bought added two more centerfire and two rimfire Tikkas since. All of them shoot very very well. The centerfires are easily MOA and the rimfires are with the right box of ammo. In fact I just bought another Varmint today in 6.5 because my original 223 has been so good. Not to mention the other four have been great. You may be a more accomplished shooter than I but it took several boxes of ammo and range sessions before my first Tikka and I jived. You may have a legitimate lemon but i wouldn't give up hope.

Well Since I originated this post, I feel all of you are entitled to hear the rest of the story. After the rifle being at Tikka, I expressed Disappointment to the store I purchased it from, Scheels. To their credit, customer service is terrific, they bought it back. A week later I had sellers remorse and went back to the store and bought it back. I then went back to the factory ammo and shot three shot groups at 80 yds which were exceptional horizontal level groups. I then developed some new loads with Hornady 73 gr. ELDM and the first group (at 100 yds) at the lands was very level, about 3/4 inch at that range. The second group .010 off the lands went three holes into a very acceptable group of less than 3/8". I was out of time and couldn't do more, but am very happy. I plan to confirm that load soon, if the wind ever quits blowing. Even at that I ordered a 7 twist Criterion barrel which won't get here until summer. I can tell you the major difference is that when it came Back from Tikka, the action screws were tightened at 50 inch pounds for the rear and more than 50 inch pounds for the front action screw. That is a lot tighter than it came from the factory. Again I thank everyone for their input.

Reactions: RMS65