• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Titanium Actions from Pierce Engineering

Re: New Titanium Actions from Pierce Engineering

My only question is what happens when you have an over pressure round. Does the action expand like steel or does the action become a granade? I like the way chrome molly and stainless expand to contain the over pressure round.

remington`s made`m for years..... They are NICE....
OMHO
bill larson

They are pretty nice I got to fondle them last week. The machining is excellent on these. I was think of haveing another rifle made with one of these but I need to pump the brakes a little.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlp1968</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is what happens when you have an over pressure round. Does the action expand like steel or does the action become a granade? I like the way chrome molly and stainless expand to contain the over pressure round. </div></div>

That's a good question. I've always thought of titanium as being more brittle than most stainless steels.

I don't know about actions, but the thing I liked about titanium MTBs was the fact the rear flex a little on a hard tail MTB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlp1968</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is what happens when you have an over pressure round. Does the action expand like steel or does the action become a granade? I like the way chrome molly and stainless expand to contain the over pressure round. </div></div>

That's a good question. I've always thought of titanium as being more brittle than most stainless steels.</div></div>

Depends on the grade of titanium. There are sof grades as well as harder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ta2dtrent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlp1968</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is what happens when you have an over pressure round. Does the action expand like steel or does the action become a granade? I like the way chrome molly and stainless expand to contain the over pressure round. </div></div>

That's a good question. I've always thought of titanium as being more brittle than most stainless steels.</div></div>

Depends on the grade of titanium. There are sof grades as well as harder</div></div>

This is precisely why I brought this issue up. As I have worked as a gunsmith and for a manufacturer and I have seen at least 30 or 40 over presured receivers over the years. All of the commercial actions i.e. (Winchester 70, FN SPR/PBR/TSR, Browning A and X Bolt, Remington 700, Savage, Ruger, Sako, and so on) have areas where the material is harder usually the receiver rings and some areas that are softer usually the rails between the receiver rings so it will allow the receiver to stretch. This same issue would be true with a steel receiver if it was to hard as well like the early 1903 Springfield. I want to add I have no experance with Pierce actions and I am just asking a valid question before I put my face and hands on it.

If i had to guess andi should of asked but im almost sure that john machines these after heat treat. I highly doubt he leaves them in the raw to a finished product. I can ask maybee?

Rich

Here's a good little article on it.
It appears from this article that many of the alloys actually
fatigue less than steel. Still looking for more info.

http://www.ushba.com/tifacts.html

Here's another with a little more/different info.

http://rtiintl.com/titanium-attributes.html

Not what my welding instructors taught me about the stuff years ago for sure.

It is great to see companies utilizing materials like carbon fiber and Titanium in rifle and pistol products. I really hope that the big name companies will begin to move in the same direction in the future.

Commercial titanium (usually 6a4v, or 3.5a2.5v)has a much higher modulus of elasticity than steel. That elasticity (not hardness) is why it is so difficult to machine accurately with conventional tooling. I would say that Ti would be safer in an overpressure situation.