• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
I've bought a 1911 from one of the guys on here (a Para LS Hunter 10mm) and would like advice on where to go from here. I haven't shot a 1911 since I qualified in '63. Where is good info regarding care, feeding, maintenance, etc. I'm already loading 10 mm so I didn't want to go with .45. Thanks, JD

With a new pistol, I would clean it and lubricate it. Next, take it out and shoot it with all your magazines to make sure it functions properly. For disassembly I would refer to your manual. I also think there are a few decent videos on YouTube and brownells to show you how to disassemble and assemble it.

For lubrication I like to put a moderate coat of oil on the slide rails both on the slide and the frame. A light coat on the barrel, guide rod and the inside of the barrel bushing. I like to apply oil/lubricant to a Q-tip and then apply to the pistol.

skip 1911forum.com unless you enjoy the taste of bullshit. 1911addicts.com has a far smaller ratio of douchebags to normal folks.

skip 1911forum.com unless you enjoy the taste of bullshit. 1911addicts.com has a far smaller ratio of douchebags to normal folks.

din, we've never met but you're now on my shit-list for recommending 1911addicts.com ;) I'd never bothered to join a 1911 forum, because as you said, the "other" 1911 forum sucked and I had never heard of "addicts". I checked it out and it took me about 30 seconds to register (listed you as referring member). The LAST thing I need is ANOTHER forum that MAKES me spend money I really shouldn't be spending.
In all seriousness, thanks for the heads up on that forum, never heard of it before, and can't believe I've been missing it (and I've already seen some familiar "faces" from here).

That's why I waited to get divorced before I started buying the expensive toys. :)