• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to .223 looking for an accurate load

Z32MadMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
I'm looking for an accurate load for a Tikka T3 varmint in .223. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I load a lot of pistol ammo but I'm new to rifle reloading. Is there a difference in .223 and .556 brass? I was looking at buying fully processed brass, perhaps from scharch.com. Is this brass truly ready to load?

Can anyone suggest a load that I wouldn't have to tinker a lot with to bet some good accuracy?

Perhaps some Sierra 52gr matchking bullets?

And is there any issue with loading accurate rifle ammo on a Dillon 550B?

What is a good powder to use.

Thanks!

Re: New to .223 looking for an accurate load

I've used the 52SMK and gotten sub-1/2's regularly using 26.0 grains of either TAC ( a ball powder that meters very nicely) and Varget.

What is the twist rate and length of your barrel, and how far do you intend to shoot?

It has a 23.4" 1:8 barrel. I'll be shooting about to 300 yards.

I like Hornady 55 grain and 62 grain. Both have great terminal wound ballistics. Wound channel begins at about 1 inch and blows out for up to 10-14 inches.

brock, what's the load under that 55? I'm waiting on some 55's and plan on using TAC and RL-15. Loading for 1:8, 24" heavy and a Bushmaster Varminter 1:9.

I'm sure I can use pogos 52. TAC data to get in the ballpark. Ramshot list 26 grs as max for the 55.

Tikka, .223 on a 550 is routine around here. My last 52s with 27.0grs BLC-(2) on the Dillon went .750, for seven shots. Two 3 shot clovers at .525 center to center that touched and one sitting out there alone. Each of the two clovers were less than .300. It was my fault that the group was not tighter. Got excited with the first 6 rounds and rushed the last shot. It also seems I don't go back to the same something, when I come from behind the scope. Gotta figure that out.

Unless you are planning on shooting alot through your rifle and not picking it up I would just buy new 223 brass. If you want to just hold over for your 300 yard shots a 50-55 grain bullet would suit you fine. If you live in a semi windy area I would shoot the 69 smk and the hornaday 68 grain both have great bc and cut through the wind great. H322 10X blc-2 varget Tac all these powders would be a good place to start with.

1 in 8" twist?

Try some 77-80gr Sierras or Hornady 75-80gr with AA2520 (ball powder) or R15 if you want to weigh charges.

It should have similar ballistics to a .308 with the 80s.

My favorite load for an AR is 55 grain bullet and IMR 4198.

stuff 26.0 Grains o varget under that 52smk and it outta do pretty good for ya...with either a winchester sr or fed. small rifle match.
OR try a 50gr vmax with the same charge

Would I be better off going with H335 instead of Varget incase I want to bump up from 52gr smk's to 69's? Looking at hodgdon's load data it seems like 26gr of powder pretty much tops up the case.

Try some Win748 in those 52gr. or 53gr. Sierra's.

You will be surprised.

My 8" RRA, likes 60gr Sierra Varminters over 24gr H335. Your 8" Tikka may like it too.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would I be better off going with H335 instead of Varget incase I want to bump up from 52gr smk's to 69's? Looking at hodgdon's load data it seems like 26gr of powder pretty much tops up the case. </div></div>

Varget and TAC work well with the 69's too. In fact, I've heard of several Across The Course Highpower shooters using Varget for everything.

Of course, for the 69's you need an appropriate twist too.

27 grs of BLC-(2) 52 gr. Berger Moly 1:8 Twist DPMS upper on
Armalite N.M. Lower. Mag. length. Do your part. and get uder.375 ragged 5 shot hole.. Consistent metering through 550.

Working load for TAC with Nosler 69 gr. comps. 23.5 -24 gr. Will post result. Another Consistent ball powder.

Working RL-15 for Nosler 69's. 25-25.5 grs. 550 meters a 10 throw average of 25.52 with set point at 25.5, one at 26.0; go figure?

Got the working loads from Wil, out of Tx. I belive all his recommendations are after OCW testing. That's the s**t and he saves me from doing it myself. Thanks again Wil.

I reload on a Dillion XL650. I shoot a Bushmaster Stainless Varmint Special chambered in 5.56mm/.223rem. It has a 1:9 twist. With this load I have been <1/2 inch MOA at 100 yards. (That was my best day.... Ever....)

Speer .224 Target Match
52gr BTHP (Ballistic Coefficient .230 Sectional Density .148)
Cases: 1X Lake City Brass
Powder: W748
Charge Weight: 26rg
Primer: CCI 450
OAL: 2.200
Muzzle Velocity: 3130fps to 3145fps

68gr Hornady Match worked up to 25.3 of Varget with Rem 7.5 primer at about 2.330" is what shoots consistantly under 1/2" from a Tikka Super Varmint. The 68's have shot better than the seirra 69's in the rifles i have tried them in plus the are longer (better BC) and less $. Beware, the magazine for these rifles has to be modified for anything over ~2.305"

Clean the bore with KG-12 combined with Flitz.
Dry patch and then put Kroil in the bore.
Wear out a .223 bronze brush getting the Copper out.
Examine the bore muzzle for Copper with a 20" Nite Ize fiber optic adapter for a flashlight pushed up the breech. Observe the muzzle with a magnifying glass. Repeat cleaning until all Copper is gone.
Clean the bore with Alcohol.
Dry patch.
Burnish the bore with Lyman Moly bore cream.

Once shooting begins, the muzzle must be frequently checked for Copper. Clean with Flitz and Kroil per the Walt Berger [founder of Berger bullets] system:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q: If I use Moly Coated bullets how should I clean my barrel?
A:
The following is one way to clean when using Moly Coated bullets. It is not likely the only way you can clean if you are using Moly Coated bullets.
1. Push one patch wet with Kroil Oil through the barrel
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Push one patch wet with Butch's Bore Shine through the barrel.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Let the barrel soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
9. Repeat step 8.
10. Using short strokes back and forth push one patch wet with USP or JB Bore Paste through the barrel.
11. Push one patch wet with Kroil through the barrel.
12. Repeat step 11 twice.
13. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
14. Repeat step 13 three times.
15. Use bore scope or visually inspect muzzle for copper fouling.
16. If copper is present repeat steps 10 through 15.
17. If you are storing the rifle push one patch wet with quality gun oil through the barrel.

Q: How do I break in a barrel using Moly Coated bullets?
A: Moly Coated bullets will not shoot consistently until a barrel is properly broken in with Moly Coated bullets. Walt Berger has found the following procedure to work best in his barrels.
For a new barrel:

1. Shoot one Moly Coated bullet then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
2. Repeat step 1 five times.
3. Shoot three Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
4. Repeat step 3 five times.

For a broken in barrel:

1. Thoroughly clean the barrel.
2. Shoot ten Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.

Your barrel is now ready to shoot Moly Coated bullets.</div></div>

Use at least a 10X scope. If the target goes all blurry, the power may need to be adjusted down to increase the exit pupil. In the Seattle area, we are typically under dark rain clouds and our eye's pupils dilate.

Do not use the expander ball while sizing. Brass that has been bent with expander ball pulling off center cannot be considered accurate until it has been fired again. Chamfer the inside of the case mouth so the neck cannot scratch the bullet. Pull down ammo you just loaded and examine the bullets with a microscope [or eyepiece sawed off old binoculars] for scratches.

2.170" Over all length, 35 gr Vmax moly, 15 gr Blue Dot ~ 3500 fps in 26" barrel.

Practice dry firing from the bench to make sure the cross hairs are staying the bullseye with your shooting technique.

Go to the range when the wind is less than 2 mph. Surveyor's tape should hang straight down.

My ~ (7) .223 rifles get between .4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards and 1.0" 5 shot groups, depending on the rifle.

The 5.56 nato chambers do not shoot as well as the .223Rem chambers.

Heavier bullets are not as accurate as lighter bullets. It feels like there is no recoil, but there is enough to move the rifle before bullet escapement. The heavier the bullet, the further the rifle moves before bullet escapement.

55gr Hornady SP + H335 (work up load for rifle)have given me great results. For longer ranges went to Barnes HP for coyotes.

A powder that I stumbled on was IMR4198, for use with the 52/53gr match bullets.

Almost 20 responses and I don't think a single pair was the same. You've got to love reloading
laugh.gif

A member on here was nice enough to lend me his Tikka load, so I think I'm going to give it a try first.
50gr Vmax with 24.8gr of TAC at 2.25"

Thanks for the responses

The most probable reason for multiple answeres to the same question is, no two rifles are exactly the same. No two shooters do it the same. Kinda like making love, we all get in there, but it's what and how we do after that, that makes us differnt.LOL

I find the Hide to be a database, an unofficial reloading manual; yet as good as the published ones. The accuracy load listed by Nosler from it's test rifle, may need tweaking in yours, even if it's the same make and model. It's not the same rifle.I call this "Snipershide, the Guide." Use it that way?

Great bunch of shooters, great site. What more can you ask?

I shoot that same rifle to 1200 yards accurately with an 80 Gr SMK and Varget. It's a great rifle

My PSS like 25 grs Varget with a 69 SMK. With your twist, you need to shoot 69s I would think. I can shoot under 2" groups at 300 with no wind. Man the wind really blows them little pills around. I cant tell very little difference loaded thru my 550 or single staging them. My 550 seems to drop Varget very good. I use H335 in my AR with 55 FMJ though. Never really tried to see what they shoot for groups. BTW, my PSS is a 9 twist.

75gr Hornady BTHP
24.0gr Varget or 26gr of BLC-2
2.255 Oal

77gr Sierra SMK
24.5 Varget (Compressed)
2.260 Oal

These are great loads in a 1x7 or 1x8 twist.

Both will "Buck the wind"

My 550B loads just as accurate as any single stage press. Just don't crank and crank without checking your powder throw and seating.

Here is a great database for lots of loads..

Reloading database

+ 1 for GFH
26.0 of Varget at 2.330 (2 thou off my lands) pushing 69SMK
26.0-26.1 of Varget at 2.260 pushing 55 Nosler Ballistic tips. Shoots good in bolts or ARs. Does a number on water bottles or other stuff you want to explode
smile.gif