• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to 458 socom

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
Any suggestions on sources, brands or components to reload it? I need to come up with a repeatable load for it as I just finished a build...

Tromix barrel, Wilson gas system and bcg.

Attachments

• 0D1565C4-5F87-44F2-B7AE-7315639A8D9A.jpeg
    0D1565C4-5F87-44F2-B7AE-7315639A8D9A.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 29
Any suggestions on dies? What’s your favorite load, and COAL?
I am using Hornady dies and seem to work well.
Make sure to only bump the shoulder .005 and you are not "over sizing" the brass.
I have had good luck with 325 FTX and various powders like ...
Lil Gun
Re7
Norma 200
Please visit 458 socom forums to find bunches of knowledge.

D

Reactions: Nooch13
What is its purpose?

Some seem to like 458 SOCOM for hunting moose at short range - and need a bullet with the right terminal ballistics.

The socom forum is a good place to start. But depending on what bullet your running, you’ll find zero info.

I shoot GPM 250 HP Q-S frangibles over IMR 4198 @ 1750 out of a 16” Tromix bbl.

Had nothing but problems with my Radical barrel. I’ve given my opinion of them in another thread here.

My setup sounds similar. 16” Tromix threaded barrel, Wilson combat bcg, bolt and low profile gas system in a killed out upper. Why am i not seeing the 458 socom forum on here y’all keep talking about??

I’m not set on any particular bullet yet and at least as of now, my only can in 30 cal...though that may eventually change

Several years ago in Indiana you could not use a centerfire rifle. We were limited to ‘pistol cartridge rifles ‘. The 458 SOCOM was considered a PCR. Most of us Hoosiers were using the 458 SOCOM.
I have killed several deer and hogs with mine.
I have my RR dialed in with reloaded ammo.
As mentioned I visited the SOCOM website for data.
I keep a reloading log book of my hunting loads. If you would like I will be happy to share with you.
Now we can use centerfire rifles so my SOCOM sits in the safe.

Reactions: Gibble888
My setup sounds similar. 16” Tromix threaded barrel, Wilson combat bcg, bolt and low profile gas system in a killed out upper. Why am i not seeing the 458 socom forum on here y’all keep talking about??

I’m not set on any particular bullet yet and at least as of now, my only can in 30 cal...though that may eventually change
Not on here. It’s a separate forum.

@Nooch13 Just saw you’ve got a slick side upper. Do yourself a favor, if you already haven’t, and order the case gauge from Tromix. It will save you a ton of problems.

And 325 FTX shoots very well, as mentioned above.