• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to AR's LMT lower

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
Hey guys,

I'm a total rookie with the AR's. I'd like to build my own this winter, or at least attempt to do the upper.

I'm looking at buying an LMT lower standard M4 stock with a two stage trigger.

Is it worth purchasing the LMT two stage trigger or would I be better off upgrading to an aftermarket trigger.

The cost difference in the two complete lowers that I found is 62.00 less for the standard trigger group.

Thanks again.

Re: New to AR's LMT lower

I would get the two-stage if you are wanting to do any precision shooting with the AR. I have a LMT lower with their single stage trigger group. Its is great for a carbine where you may be runnin and gunning so to speak.
But it has been a great lower and has worked very well for me.

Good luck with your build

AS

I have the LMT lower with the single stage. If you know anyone with aftermarket triggers I would ask to get some time in on them before making your decision. Timney and Wilson Combat both make excellent drop in set ups with your preference of #.

I run LMT lowers exclusively, as it is much cheaper to buy one of their built lowers than buy the SOPMOD separately. LMT also uses quality components. I've always swapped triggers, and am currently running Wilson Combat TTU's. The stock two-stage triggers are okay, but do not hold a candle to a quality drop in trigger. If you are not going to buy the lower for the SOPMOD or for some other reason, then I would find a less expensive one and buy a good drop in trigger.

LMT lowers are excellent in terms of being in spec and working extremely well as the basis for a wide range of builds from your basic Carbine/M4 to precision target rifles.

I would skip the LMT 2-stage trigger though! Not that they are "bad" per se, just that they pale in comparison to some of the high-end trigger units available on the market right now. If its a 2-stage unit you are looking for, take a look at the offerings from Geiselle Automatics which range from fully-adjustable units to more basic non-adjustable models all of which offer crisp, clean triggers in a variety of weights to suit your needs/preferences. Here is a link to their site: http://geissele.com/

If you'd prefer a single-stage unit, there is always the Wilson Combat TTU and the Timney AR triggers...both of which are great products.

To be very honest, I don't know if I prefer a one or two stage trigger. I've just been reading up on it and trying to make a decision. I'm definitely accustomed to bolt guns and single stage triggers, but I don't have a lot of experience with the two stage triggers on AR's.

I think I will heed your advice and just go with the standard trigger group for now and spend the money on an aftermarket once I figure out what I prefer. Hopefully, getting some trigger time between the two of them first....

What does the SOPMOD stock do exactly?? I see that it has a more angular surface to the stock. Is this designed to allow the shooter to cant the rifle and acquire a better cheek weld for shooting with dual optics?

The SOPMOD stock is just more comfortable to shoot with the angled sides (they also serve as battery storage). It provides a great cheek weld. I've been tempted to get one since I shot my dad's MWS.

Its a good call to wait until you get some trigger time before deciding on the trigger.

Like others have said, I'd skip the 2 stage trigger and get a lower with a SOPMOD stock. Then upgrade the trigger to a Timney or a Geissele Trigger.

Thanks for the input guys, what's the difference between the guardian lower and the defender lower???

I think I have someone that will sell me a lower at a good price with the buffer tube on it. Can I just buy the sopmod stock and put it on, or does the buffer tube have to be specific to LMT?

I was on LMT's website and it seems the DEFENDER lowers are semi auto while the GUARDIAN are full auto lowers.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think I have someone that will sell me a lower at a good price with the buffer tube on it. Can I just buy the sopmod stock and put it on, or does the buffer tube have to be specific to LMT?
</div></div>

Any AR buttstock should work, but with some of them you will need to know whether the tube is "commercial" or "mil spec".

Thats correct. I run the Defender lower with a SOPMOD stock. Its a great buy and i've had absolutely no problems with it.

Like others have suggested, get the standard single stage and the SOPMOD stock. It will be cheaper to replace the trigger with a quality unit later, than to buy the SOPMOD seperately later. The M4 style stock leaves much to be desired. I think you'll appreciate the SOPMOD and won't want to replace it. You may end up wanting to replace the 2 stage LMT trigger.

Thanks guys,

I went ahead and bought the lmt lower with standard trigger. No stock but it's got a mil spec buffer tube. It was a pretty good deal compared to the prices I could find online.

I guess now the shopping for upper parts and a stock begins.

Is it better to stay with the same brand upper and lower? Or would I still be ok to go with say a Rock River Arms upper?

On that note. I'm the type to buy once cry once so if it's worth it to just use LMT parts I'm all ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is it better to stay with the same brand upper and lower? Or would I still be ok to go with say a Rock River Arms upper?

On that note. I'm the type to buy once cry once so if it's worth it to just use LMT parts I'm all ears.

</div></div>

I like to but you certainly don't have to. RRA isn't bad but they have their downsides like improperly staked BCG's and M4 feed cuts that looks like a retard with a dremel did them. Their varmint and predator pursuit uppers shoot damn well though.

What kind of upper are you looking for? One reason I really like LMT's uppers besides the awesome quality is their barrels are rock creeks including the chrome lines ones. They shoot VERY good. If your not looking for a chrome lined a dealer on arfcom is selling some LMT 16" and 20" SS barrel uppers on their and gunbroker. These are mike rock barrels too, here is the links.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250685307

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250658634

Thanks for all the input guys...

I'll take a gander at those uppers on gun broker. I'm accustomed to stainless barrels and I've never used chrome lined before.

I'll have to do some more research to pro's vs con's.