• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to building rifles

csloop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2012
alabama
As the title above states this is going to be the first rifle build that I will undergo. I have already shot a 308 and currently am shooting a 300 win mag and looking to build a 338 lapua.
I am looking at the following:
Action- surgeon 1581 repeater
sorry fucking computers.
Stock- Mcmillian A5
my only dilema is barrel I want to go with the kreiger barrel but not sure what to get on any of the barrel specs any help would be appreciated. Weight is not an option as this would be a long range gun to hunt and target shoot with.

Re: New to building rifles

O and barrel length would be 30 in plus break

I fyou have already decided on Krieger, then just decide on the bullet and ask for their recommendations.

Get fluted since you are worried about weight. Go with a light contour as well.

Kreiger will tell you your options if you call them.

Well guys I think I'm going to let apa do my build. Talked with the guy and he says he does not like to do work on the surgeon action, he recommended defiance what are yalls experience with this action

Well guys I think I'm going to let apa do my build. Talked with the guy and he says he does not like to do work on the surgeon action, he recommended defiance what are yalls experience with this action

I have a defiance in s/a and like it very much but my surgeon 1581 is smoother and by far my favorite action. You can't go wrong with either, good luck on your build.

Well I wanted to go with the surgeon but he said he didn't really like workn on them, but he said he would do you guys think I should just bite the bullet and get a surgeon or go with the defiance

Either action will serve you well..I once asked a rifle builder what action he prefers. His answer was "a fuckin remington". I was shocked as I expected to hear surgeon. I'd go with a medium or heavy palma contour. May also wanna consider 338 edge if you reload. Lapua is expensive to fire.

I am reloading and I do have a 300 ultra but a edge build is far to complicated or at least I feel it is for my first build.

Did he offer a reason why he prefers Remington? Was it because it's easier for him to work on? I'm just saying that the only thing that matters is what's going to give you the best result, which isn't necessarily the same as what the builder prefers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well guys I think I'm going to let apa do my build. Talked with the guy and he says he does not like to do work on the surgeon action, he recommended defiance what are yalls experience with this action </div></div>

Great action, and a great guy building your rifle. APA is tops in quality, and customer service.

I just got my rifle the other day and it's a 308
It has a Krieger barrel, #17 Countour, Heavy varmant 1:11 twist with a finished length of 26" and then Badger brake.

It was built by Robert Gradous.

Going up for a walk around the shop Monday and see some of his work if everything looks good I hope to go ahead and get this thing started. This thing is going to turn into a long range monster on deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DubGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did he offer a reason why he prefers Remington? Was it because it's easier for him to work on? I'm just saying that the only thing that matters is what's going to give you the best result, which isn't necessarily the same as what the builder prefers. </div></div>

No..just said its a damn good action that he has very good luck with. Also stated they aren't far off from the factory, meaning very little truing. He shoots mcree precision chassis and USO optics.

Is there anything special you have to do to get the 338 edge to the 300 ultra action I may go this route to save on cash since I already have an ultra action

No..but its a good idea to get the action trued/blueprinted at the time of rebarrel. Edge is just a 300RUM case necked to 338 cal so the feed ramps will work just fine. Your Smith will have no problem.