• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Centerfire Bolt Guns: Barrel Break In?

Frapiscide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
I know that this has been talked about ad nauseam and I apologize for my ignorance but I'm getting my first centerfire rifle, a Remington 700 AAC-SD and am not sure if I should break in the barrel or not. My Savage Mk II I didn't break in the barrel and it's able to shoot half inch groups at 50 yards 2000 rounds later (with cleaning every ~400 rounds).

Re: New to Centerfire Bolt Guns: Barrel Break In?

Just shoot it.

No need to break it in. Aside from burn up some barrel life and waste time, it doesn't do anything for your rig. Just shoot it and enjoy.

Ah...a barrel break in thread. A nice change of pace from price-gouging, supply/demand, and where can I find _______.
wink.gif

Seriously, do whatever makes you feel good because at the end of the day...you are going to get opinions on both sides of the issue (the same opinions that as you indicated have been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere) and there is no right/wrong answer. Actually reading through some of the previous discussions on the subject would probably be worth your time though. Try the search engine linked to in my sig line below. There may be a FAQ on this one too.

FWIW...I'd just go shot the damn thing and not spend a moment's thought on barrel break-in for a Remington factory tube.