• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to centerfire. ELD 223 Remington 700 advice

Jinx703

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2019
Three years ago I got into PRS style matches with my 22LR. Love it and have zero aspirations of competing in centerfire PRS matches.

however, between most matches/series being canceled and delayed and the birth of my first child........not Entirely sure I’ll be able to commit to whatever series are run this year.

NOT shooting this year isn’t an option and going to the range and throwing lead aimlessly isn’t really that appealing......... I decided to try this whole centerfire precision thing out.

I am now the proud owner of all the reloading gear you could need (for a reasonable start) and a brand new Remington 700 sps tactical in .223.

So I have access to 500 yards regularly and there’s a few 1,000 yard ranges within a couple hours drive.
My goal is to learn how to reload and stack dimes at 0-500 yards with my 223. Then see if I’m able to stretch it’s legs to 1,000.

So once the base line is established. Where do I start? The budget isn’t infinite. So ultra premium components aren’t an option. I did pick up the Timney hunter trigger. Which will get things going.

I know I’m not the first person to do this. Can anyone offer some advice or point me into the direction of Some blogs or video series that have done similar?

if you’ve made it this far you deserve a beer.
Thank you!!!!

You “might” be able to run the 73 ELDm bullets. They are pretty long relative to weight so that’s debatable. Unfortunately you don’t have the twist rate for the highest BC bullets that often require a 1-7 twist. You should be able to find something that gets you to 500 though.

The twist and barrel length might limit you a bit for 1000 yards but not impossible. What's your altitude?

I would use 73 ELDM or 75 BTHP. A 75 ELDM seems like a good option too but might not stabilize so maybe buy a bunch of the 73s before you invest a lot in the 75s.

ETA:

I have no problem running 73 ELDM bullets and 75 BTHP bullets out of my 9 twist 26" rifle and I am roughly 200' ASL.

Reactions: Jinx703
Also before I get lectured on “buy once cry once”........... I 100% understand that and agree with it......... I can show you my snap-on tool bill if you don’t believe me.

im actually building two of these rifles. One for me and one for my former mentor. Sooooooo I want to invest wisely and good enough might just have to be good enough.

However, the 1,000 yard range requires you qualify at various distances

Agree on trying the 73ELDM in a 1-9. I have multiple 1-9 that will shoot the Nosler 77 Custom Competition. I would try TAC or XBR8208 powders.

The twist and barrel length might limit you a bit for 1000 yards but not impossible. What's your altitude?

I would use 73 ELDM or 75 BTHP. A 75 ELDM seems like a good option too but might not stabilize so maybe buy a bunch of the 73s before you invest a lot in the 75s.

ETA:

I have no problem running 73 ELDM bullets and 75 BTHP bullets out of my 9 twist 26" rifle and I am roughly 200' ASL.

im basically at sea level (outside Washington DC)

im basically at sea level (outside Washington DC)

Man!!! Altitude isn't on your side either haha. But honestly, you may as well just be fine shooting the 73s or 75s. I'm in SE Texas so very close to sea level as well. Definitely do not consider 75ELDMs or let anyone try to convince you on them. Many people here have reached 500+ and closer to 1000 on the 73s and 75BTHP bullets.

That’s pretty close to me, where are you shooting that goes to 500?
Only thing that comes to mind is del marva.

im in Virginia. Luckily I have a friend of a friend with 140 acres in culpeper Virginia

but you can get 1000 at peacemaker in WVA

I have yet to take them long due to the covid bs but my 20" SPS shoots 70 gr berger vlds just fine out to 200 yards.

As someone who had the 9 test Remington and spent 500 bullets trying to force it, it won’t stabilize a 70 rdf. I wish it would.

The 69 custom comp, 60 ballistic tip, 53 varmageddon all gave me good results. The heavier the better. 500 is the max reliable with 600 starting to show its gassed. The 69 class Hornady nosler and Sierra should all be alright. The 70 rdf was just too darn long and skinny.

If you really want to get to 1k with it go with a new barrel, remage is cheap and easy. With my 16” 7 twist that it wears now and a 75 eld I can get there and it’s tougher than heck to see the misses but on steel it will make a mark in the paint.

Reactions: Steel head
That sucks. I have a factory Savage 1/9 barrel on an origin that shoots them quite well with Varget.

I ran the berger 73 grain in my savage 1-9 when I was a factory barrel no problem out to 900 that's was the farthest I shot it.it was a 26" barrel though,

Get to shooting, It won’t take very long to shoot that barrel out. Then get you a good remage style with a 7 twist.

So at what round count are you going through .223 bolt gun barrels? Whats your load that’s eating them up? Or am I miss understanding your post.
1,700 rounds into my new Beanland built .223 and I haven’t had to adjust load yet. Yes the throat has moved but not enough to change my dope.

Reactions: Bender
I have the same gun, for some reason it does not like the heavies. The 55 gn VArmageddons shoot lights out though. I spent a lot of time trying to work up loads with 60/70’s but in the end I gave up and stacked the 55’s deep. Set a baseline with good factory ammo then see how much better you can do with your hand loads. The next upgrade should be getting rid of the factory stock, the SPS stock is floppier than a 20 year old dildo. A lot of good chassis to be had with out breaking the bank (KRG X-ray, Oryx, etc).

I have the same rifle. 69 SMK and 73 grain ELD are great at 500-600 yards. The 75 ELD did stabilize, but I simply wasn’t able to get enough speed to really drive it past 800 efficiently ( wind really took it for a ride ).

I shoot at Peacemaker often. Their Frontier range is where you wanna go and you do not need to be a member or qualify to shoot on it. Just check out their events for Frontier Friday/Sunday’s ( open to public ).

As others have said, run this until you shoot it out or decide you want more from it and spin on a 24-26” 1-7 twist and run the heavier projectiles.

The next upgrade should be getting rid of the factory stock, the SPS stock is floppier than a 20 year old dildo. A lot of good chassis to be had with out breaking the bank (KRG X-ray, Oryx, etc).

What other stocks do You recommend w/o breaking the bank? Really looking for something like my Titan 10/22 stock in the $300-$400 range.

are the geayboe stocks worth a shit? Renegade or ridgeback? Hard to tell if they have aluminum bedding blocks in them.....

Attachments

• C8108143-5B65-45D6-94B5-09CBCD98DE58.jpeg
    C8108143-5B65-45D6-94B5-09CBCD98DE58.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
So at what round count are you going through .223 bolt gun barrels? Whats your load that’s eating them up? Or am I miss understanding your post.
1,700 rounds into my new Beanland built .223 and I haven’t had to adjust load yet. Yes the throat has moved but not enough to change my dope.
I’d be lying if I gave you a number. It was nearly 40years ago when I first started shooting bolt guns and reloading. As a noob I learned much at that $300 rifles expense. I didn’t know enough to even get a bore guide for cleaning until a fella at the range got tired of watching me mess that simple task up. I’m not suggesting the OP is as bad as I was but it won’t take him long to get stuff figured out and learn that barrel needs to go. The most important thing for noobs is to shoot and learn. There’s no substitute for range time. Just my humble opinion

69 Sierra is your bullet. H4895, lots of it. I would run that to 500 knowing a barrel is going to be wanted to pick up from there. 1000 with a 223 is fun but it’s all about the bullet. Pick the bullet and 24” or more barrel from a knowledgeable smith. Might find a remmage criterion with a match chamber to fit.
The 69 will be a good bet to get you going with the rifle as is.

What other stocks do You recommend w/o breaking the bank? Really looking for something like my Titan 10/22 stock in the $300-$400 range.

are the geayboe stocks worth a shit? Renegade or ridgeback? Hard to tell if they have aluminum bedding blocks in them.....
You might like a krg bravo and it’s in your price range. I’d recommend that you get a better firing pin spring because the Remington factory one is garbage. The spring is about $15 and the firing pin removal tool is about $25. It’ll get rid of those unexpected fliers your gonna have.

I have a 20" 1-9 Rem 700. Factory barrel. It will shoot 73 eldm or 75 bthp's. Things start getting difficult past 750. Your gonna have to run the dog out of it to get anything serious out of it. I'd start with a harder primer and try to find some LC brass. Here's 5 @ 430
IMG_7072.PNG
IMG_7897.JPG

Thanks. I'll try to snap a pic next time I go mow, which needs to happen soon, brass hiding in the grass.

Your avatar is the same as the cut out on your barricade, what's it stand for

Adair County Long Guns. Not a real club, just something I came up with for fun.

I’d be lying if I gave you a number. It was nearly 40years ago when I first started shooting bolt guns and reloading. As a noob I learned much at that $300 rifles expense. I didn’t know enough to even get a bore guide for cleaning until a fella at the range got tired of watching me mess that simple task up. I’m not suggesting the OP is as bad as I was but it won’t take him long to get stuff figured out and learn that barrel needs to go. The most important thing for noobs is to shoot and learn. There’s no substitute for range time. Just my humble opinion

Ok it was my miss understanding. Your were saying he would want a better barrel, not that he would shoot the barrel out soon. Agreed, once the fundamentals of marksmanship are down and reloading methods refined that barrel will cause a few head scratches.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Ok it was my miss understanding. Your were saying he would want a better barrel, not that he would shoot the barrel out soon. Agreed, once the fundamentals of marksmanship are down and reloading methods refined that barrel will cause a few head scratches.
Sort of but I was talking more about me. My first bolt gun happened to be a old Remington 700 adl in 223 with the skinny barrel and wood stock. I knew nothing. I learned a bunch with that rifle but it didn’t take long for my groups to open up. I was diligent about cleaning. I cleaned it from the muzzle with a my ar15 milspec cleaning rod Until someone told me to get a good one piece rod and clean from the action. Then I cleaned it without a bore guide until someone else couldn’t take seeing me work so hard to destroy a barrel and told me about bore guides. I also got started in reloading with that rifle. Lots of things contributed to the destruction of my barrel. I should have just said all of that but I didn’t wanna tell on myself or have someone think I was saying that he didn’t know how to take care of his rifle.
The barrel he’s got probably won’t accomplish what he’s wanting but it’s a great barrel for him to learn with. In a short while he’s gonna get everything figured out and probably want a different barrel. With remage barrels only costing a couple hundred bucks why not.

I have a Savage Stealth Evolution in 223 - also 20" and 1:9 twist. Shoots 75 ELD-M's beautifully out to 1K. If no wind, it will put 5 in a row on 6" steel @ 940. In the wind, tough to get 3 in a row on 10" steel. I have some 80 eld-m's loaded but haven't had a chance to try them yet for stability.

edited to 75 eld-m's - thanks to MarinePMI

Last edited:
I didn't know Hornady made a 77gr ELDM bullet...

Sorry, meant 75 eld-m. Went to my notes for detail... my load is 23.7 grains N140 @ 20 off. The 80's I loaded are with 203b and are 15 off, which is 2.396 in my rifle, but unsure if they will stabilize in my 20" 9 twist. The 75 eld-m does shoot better than either the 69 or 77 smk's for me.
IMG_20181219_090431.jpg

Reactions: Bender and PAYDIRT
I like to walk mine out and see what they do as the range increases just to verify my data. By the looks of things your good to go 👍

I have two of these. The 700 Tactical.223 is so much fun! I shoot lots of 55g blaster ammo and have reloaded for it as well.