• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk New to competition

Studio3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Mussouri
www.studio3productions.com
Hey guys, how do you get into competition? After I finish my build I’d like to join a league or get involved in competition just for fun. As a beginner I’d like to know a brief overview and maybe a list of equipment I’ll need.

PRS Competition? And what state are you in?

I would look for local gun clubs in your area and see if they host competitions. Also, I'm not a fan of Facebook but a lot of the matches in the midwest that are local to me all have facebook groups where you can talk to match directors, competitors, and get assistance in signing up and even on what to bring to your first match.

For example by me, no matches really allow tripods. If a stage has a tripod provided by a match director - then certainly everyone can use it but there's no reason to purchase one. For local club matches, they typically cost $20-50 to enter the match and you just have to show up with a rifle, ammo, the velocity of your current ammo, and a game-changer bag wouldn't hurt.

Find and enter a local match with your rifle, ammo and DOPE before you decide to buy or upgrade any other gear. It'll take you a match or two to figure the game out and then realize what gear others are using, what works and what doesn't. Pretty much any shooter will allow you to borrow bags to try out so you can figure out what you like before buying.

Those two guys just about summed it up. Search around your area for local matches. They are the best way to get started and are usually friendly to new shooters. Don’t go out and buy a bunch of stuff until you’ve shoot a match or two. A basic rear bag and a bipod will do at first.

Reactions: davsco
Wait, weren't you just deciding 10 days ago whether you wanted to build a 6.5 or 338 and you said "No competition"?

thx For the add to the forum and being new I’m looking around for the appropriate location to ask my question but couldn’t find a specific spot so here I am.
I am an avid shooter, not a weekend warrior nor do I shoot long gun on a regular basis but I want to build one now to just go out and have fun with, no competition, no hunting, just a good no recoil to low recoil quality firearm. I am really interested in putting an atacr NF on one and have the ability to shoot 1200 yds. Now in reality I will probably shoot 200-800 but would like the ability to go out further if I get a wild hair. I’m told 6.5 is the better cheaper option? I’m a guy that will tweak Until I get the lowest MOA. I was looking at the gen 3 Ruger for the money then upgrade as I go? Thoughts and thanks guys. Be gentle it’s my first time.

There are lots of rifles at PRS competitions. May come across one of those piston-driven bolt action rifles

I once shot a match with a guy using a .300 WM.

We squad and began shooting the first stage. He was a new guy and we didn’t know what he was shooting. He pulled the trigger and the blast was insane. It got our attention and so we started paying attention. He continued to shoot and miss every target. He would crank the turret between every shot and never got close. After the stage we ask what was going on.

Come to find out he came out with a scope not zeroed. Had zero data for DOPE. It was all just a guessing game.

He spent probably $300 in ammo and hit about 3 targets all day. Lol

Yes we tried to get him zeroed and was successful but he would crank his turrets and not know where zero was at.

He had fun though I guess. Haven’t seen him since.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate and lash
Where's the ND police stand on that? Sounds dangerous to me, he's lobbing ammo at magnum velocities and has shit all idea what he's dialing or where they're going to come down.

tenor.gif

where we were shooting there wasn’t anything for miles and miles around. We could see all of the impacts in the dirt but they were all over the place.

Just find a local club series, show up, listen, and have fun.

1moa rifle, scope you can dial, and dope for distances. Don't sweat the details.

Find and enter a local match with your rifle, ammo and DOPE before you decide to buy or upgrade any other gear. It'll take you a match or two to figure the game out and then realize what gear others are using, what works and what doesn't. Pretty much any shooter will allow you to borrow bags to try out so you can figure out what you like before buying.
What is the basic gear needed besides gun and Amm
Wait, weren't you just deciding 10 days ago whether you wanted to build a 6.5 or 338 and you said "No competition"?
um looking more for shooting friends but I hear there is a lot of that in the competitive world. I’m not interested in making a career but it might fun to see if I can even do it.

PRS Competition? And what state are you in?

I would look for local gun clubs in your area and see if they host competitions. Also, I'm not a fan of Facebook but a lot of the matches in the midwest that are local to me all have facebook groups where you can talk to match directors, competitors, and get assistance in signing up and even on what to bring to your first match.

For example by me, no matches really allow tripods. If a stage has a tripod provided by a match director - then certainly everyone can use it but there's no reason to purchase one. For local club matches, they typically cost $20-50 to enter the match and you just have to show up with a rifle, ammo, the velocity of your current ammo, and a game-changer bag wouldn't hurt.
I don’t know where or what to try. I’m in Missouri.

Lol I didn't even notice that before I replied here!
thx for letting us know my opening statements! Yea, maybe I wanna see if I have the stuff to shoot at some competitions? Maybe I just wanna get in with a group of guys that work together? And...

What is the basic gear needed besides gun and Amm

um looking more for shooting friends but I hear there is a lot of that in the competitive world. I’m not interested in making a career but it might fun to see if I can even do it.

I don’t know where or what to try. I’m in Missouri.

There were 2 Border Wars PRS matches in Missouri in 2019, so you're definitely not too far away from some options. Below are the names of the matches, the range name, and the town they're located in. I'd reach out and just ask some questions - I'm sure someone will get you in contact with the match director.

3/16/19Buzz MastersShield Solutions / West Plains, MO

5/4/19Brian BuolGadsden Shooting Center / Iberia, MO

There were 2 Border Wars PRS matches in Missouri in 2019, so you're definitely not too far away from some options. Below are the names of the matches, the range name, and the town they're located in. I'd reach out and just ask some questions - I'm sure someone will get you in contact with the match director.

3/16/19Buzz MastersShield Solutions / West Plains, MO
5/4/19Brian BuolGadsden Shooting Center / Iberia, MO

That’s awesome. Even just going and gaining insight and watching. Thx for that.

As already mentioned, the basic gear you need to just try it out is a good rifle, a good scope, a bipod and a rear bag. Plus, you need your known DOPE out to distance (most likely out to 1000 yards or so), the ability to shoot decently, know your scope and how it works and plenty of ammo.

Reactions: davsco
As already mentioned, the basic gear you need to just try it out is a good rifle, a good scope, a bipod and a rear bag. Plus, you need your known DOPE out to distance (most likely out to 1000 yards or so), the ability to shoot decently, know your scope and how it works and plenty of ammo.
Got it. When you say plenty of ammo, what kinda of quantity are we talking just do I don’t show up with way to little. Thx for the help.

Got it. When you say plenty of ammo, what kinda of quantity are we talking just do I don’t show up with way to little. Thx for the help.
If you register for a match, they will give an estimated round count for the entire match. Always bring at least 20-30 more than that just in case of a re-shoot, or if there is a zero confirmation target before the match begins.

Reactions: lash
Just another option, go to match as an observer and just watch and listen. Everyone is willing give info. I shot a one day match then ended up RO’ing as real two matches before shooting any more matches. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Trek
Find some local club matches and just go. Usually local club (non prs) matches will let you share gear. After the match see if folks will let you handle what they used. Most folks in competitive shooting be happy to help you get started.

Reactions: kcrippen
most matches, .300 win/wby/norma magnum is the largest round allowed. 6.5creedmoor is pretty popular esp with those that don't handload. very aerodynamic and not too much recoil, so you can see your hits (and misses) and adjust your holds accordingly.

before you think about hitting a match, get your rifle/scope/ammo squared away and zeroed at 100yds. chrono your chosen load and put that in a ballistics program (i use 'shooter' app on my phone, $10) along with your bullet's BC (ballistic coefficient), etc. then hit a range that goes out at least a few hundred yards and verify what that program says via both dialing the turrets and holding over with your reticle lines. get a bag for under the rear of your stock (a simple sock filled with airsoft bb's works fine) and bipod for front. shoot prone vs a bench as you will be shooting prone at least some stages at prs matches. adjust your stock's length and comb/cheekpiece as needed so that when you get on the rifle you're not moving all around to get a good sight picture. you need at least 2-10 round mags.

folks at matches will let you use their rangefinders (though most stages/matches give you the target distances) and kestrels (wind speed, humidity, temp, altitude, density altitude) and you'll plug that data into your ballistic program. they'll also let you use their various bags (lots use roughly 1 cu-ft bags to fill voids such as under elbows against knee or chest to help get steady).

at matches, you'll be resting on fence tops, cars, barrel tops and sides and all sorts of props. you can practice at home getting steady positions from all sorts of weird stuff (deck rail, trash cans, chairs, etc).

Most important thing I learned was having the right software and trueing your BC/velocity and have an easy way to plug in the random ranges etc. and verifying near and far targets prior to a match

Hey guys, how do you get into competition? After I finish my build I’d like to join a league or get involved in competition just for fun. As a beginner I’d like to know a brief overview and maybe a list of equipment I’ll need.

Did you build a rifle for competition without first looking over the rules for said competition?

That would not be smart.

I shot my first match two weeks ago. I didn't have DOPE past 300, and it showed, so amen to everyone saying to get your dope together.

I had a lot of people tell me I needed a Leofoto or RRS tripod, and a $300 bipod, but there was one stage with a tripod, and it was mandatory that everyone use the one provided, so no need to drop money on a tripod to get started. There was one stage where I used a bipod, the rest of the time it just kept my gun out of the dirt.

I would invest in a shooting bag though. I used a fortune cookie from Wiebad, but I wouldn't mind having a pint sized game changer.

Again, I can't stress this enough, get your DOPE together. I had rifle issues leading up to the match, so I ran out of time to get my DOPE, but do it. You'll be happier.

Personally, I also appreciated having my own binos to spot with, even when I was not the spotter. It's nice to see what's going on down range, and see what target the stage is shooting at, etc. I did have a tripod for my binos, but it was a cheapie by shadowtech/slik.

Find the match director for the match you want to enter and contact them. They can arrange for you to shoot with someone who can help you through your first match and probably loan you bags, etc. Most guys have extra bags laying around. A year ago I started with 1, now I have 6 due to trying different things.

As others have mentioned, you need to have your dope figured out before the match. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you do need to be able to keep rounds on the berms.

If you can get assistance on loaner bags, etc then you can get by with rifle, ammo, and a bag to carry the ammo.

The list of things you can buy are endless so borrowing/observing others is a more economical approach. We all know guys that spend a fortune getting in and out of gear every month.

I shot my first match two weeks ago. I didn't have DOPE past 300, and it showed, so amen to everyone saying to get your dope together.

I had a lot of people tell me I needed a Leofoto or RRS tripod, and a $300 bipod, but there was one stage with a tripod, and it was mandatory that everyone use the one provided, so no need to drop money on a tripod to get started. There was one stage where I used a bipod, the rest of the time it just kept my gun out of the dirt.

I would invest in a shooting bag though. I used a fortune cookie from Wiebad, but I wouldn't mind having a pint sized game changer.

Again, I can't stress this enough, get your DOPE together. I had rifle issues leading up to the match, so I ran out of time to get my DOPE, but do it. You'll be happier.

Personally, I also appreciated having my own binos to spot with, even when I was not the spotter. It's nice to see what's going on down range, and see what target the stage is shooting at, etc. I did have a tripod for my binos, but it was a cheapie by shadowtech/slik.

To add to my comment about DOPE - I went to my first match with Strelok, a muzzle velocity reading from a caldwell chronograph, and a confirmed hit on a 10" plate at 350yds. Match targets were mostly MOA targets 1/3rd the size of my steel target.

When I say to get DOPE, I mean do as Frank says and true your ballistic calculator to your actual data. Shoot at 600, and make your MV match in your calculator. True your BC as well. I did OK on the 350-450yds shots, but anything further was a crap shoot. DOPE should be more than your MV and a calculator.

If all you have is your muzzle velocity and a calculator, then you do not have DOPE. By definition, D.O.P.E. is Data Obtained from Previous Engagements. It is real data that you have verified by shooting that rifle and writing down the results. Otherwise you merely have ballistic data projections.

Do you know how many people show up without even a verified velocity? Too many. The most common answer I get when I ask someone new what they’re basic information is, is “I’m shooting this ammo.”, as they hand me a box. “The velocity is on the box.”

You hit it on the nose. I had projections, and I did pretty poorly on new distances. I intend to do another match, but not before I get some good data from multiple outings at repeated distances.

I think as the sport grows, there are a guys thinking they can depend on software over their own time with the rifle. I figured I'd toss in my experience to prove the point that your software can get you pretty close, but it's no replacement for real DOPE.

Reactions: lash