• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swoodhouse19

Match Director
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2017
Cali
A friend got me to try a F-Class match Memorial Day weekend...I have been thinking about this for a while and had an action I could dedicate for this build. SImple Criterion 1:10 remage barrel 27.5". I picked up a used Sightron SIII 10-50 with mil-hash .05 mil adjustment...I know MOA is the better way, but will this get me by for now?

And what are some tips for gear to take along? Thanks again.

Probably need to find out if they use e-targets, or if you have to go pull targets in the pits.

If the former, find out if they provide tablets or if you need to bring your own (just needs to be able to connect to WiFi and open a web browser).

If the latter, bring a hat, water and snacks, as you may end up being down there for a couple hours (depending on the pit rotation). Definitely take ear and eye pro with you to the pits. First time I went down, nobody told me :mad:

Bring extra ammo, as mentioned above. If the match program course of fire calls for three strings of 2 sighters and 20 record shots, don't bring exactly 66 rounds. Bring at least 70, 75 would be better. Things happen - round that doesn't go off, someone miscounted how many rounds you shot and you need to fire another one, or several other technicalities that involve you needing to fire one or more extra shots. You can always take 'em home and use them another day ;)

Tenth mil clicks will work... you'll most likely have to hold off a bit to get your group centered up. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of so you don't cause yourself grief trying to click back and forth with 0.36 moa clicks ;)

If you have a spotting scope or binos, bring them - particularly if the match has pits and you have to pull targets. There's not always enough room on the line for you to lay alongside the other people (relay) that are shooting when it's your turn to score for them. A lightweight folding chair is probably a good idea as well.

A lot of this stuff, if you don't have it, just let the match director (or your friend) know, and they'll get you squared away. Most people don't have any problem sharing their gear with new shooters.

Just be careful with borrowed gear... I lost count of how many times I let people borrow my spotting scope, and they left it 'up' when they got up from the chair after scoring - and the wind promptly caught it and dumped it into the gravel, right on the front lens.

Reactions: TACC
My first match i brought exactly 60rds, didn't think about the sighters.

The guy two spots to my left was having light primer strikes and only recorded 40 rds out of 60.
Bring more ammo than you can possibly use. Good mat and rear bag.

which cartridge will you be firing?

Go with what you have. I done the same thing few years ago with a friend and I am having a blast. You will meet a lot of good people that enjoy the sport.

The basics, safety glasses, earplugs, safe functioning rifle that can shoot straight, ECI that will go into the chamber and has flag, optic that you like which you know the zero setting, Bipod, rear bag, something to lay on (if you get your front side wet or chiggers. no fun) and as mentioned plenty of ammo, rifle case, electronic device as mentioned above, cash to pay for match and water.
The creature features, hat, bug spray, snack or two and if you got a backpack to carry the stuff in.
Most places I've shot you need to register with the match "director" let them know your are joining and be open that this is first match with them. They will help in many ways. Have fun and be prepared to spend money on stuff you may want to get or change.
Good luck.

Thanks. Have a 308 that is ready to go. Found a used decent scope (Sightron 10-50). MD paired me with the buddy getting me into this.

Tactical matches are what I shoot and run now. I just thought this could be fun and beats laying on the couch.

Sounds like you have good help and the want to.
I shoot in the FTR class, I Think there is a F practical class. You can basically use the rifles that are setup for PRS style shooting and use front bag or bipod. While competing with the other fclass shooters. Most ranges won’t allow muzzle breaks. Some are allowing suppressed practical rifles. Just a thought. You’ll enjoy it

My gunsmith made a nice blended thread protector for this rifle. Haven’t loaded 308 for years so using FGM with 185 Berger’s for this first one.

Electronic scoring so no pit for me.

Keep us posted on the days results

Those 185's are good choice, I run the 200.20x with 10 twist. Like them, shoot well at mid and long range.

I just started shooting the 185 Juggernauts and they have been great so far. Very Consistent!

If you ever get the chance to experience the pits, go for it. It's half the fun at the range. You'll be thinking can't wait to shoot. Lol, I've had some of the best bologna and lays potato sandwiches in the pits. Water taste different there too. 😜

a chair...a folding chair for when you're scoring. I think everything else is listed above.

I'm sure you have already shot the match by now, but one of things that drives me nuts is someone not having there own clip caddy and pen when I am scoring for them. I put mine away after it is used to keep score for me, don't expect me to go drag it out of my kit in the shade to come back to the line and score for you.

As @Fullbore308 working the pits is a great time and should be mandatory, IMO. That may become 'old-school' with new electronic scoring-bluetooth-wireless systems. Our pits our enclosed, shady, and cool...nice to be in in July-August.

As @Fullbore308 working the pits is a great time and should be mandatory, IMO. That may become 'old-school' with new electronic scoring-bluetooth-wireless systems. Our pits our enclosed, shady, and cool...nice to be in in July-August.
I see good and bad in going to electronic targets. Matches are able to be run much faster, and you don't have to worry as much about getting a slow puller or nit wit that isn't paying attention to the string of fire. On the other hand, the pits have been a great place to meet people that you may not know, hear/tell all the great stories of matches from the past and have a chance to see what is happening with impacts based on what you see happening with natural indicators (trees, grass) at the pit end of the range.

Reactions: Just Chuck
I was simply saying if you get the chance to learn how go for it. Some ranges I shoot do both, either national events regional or state, depends if the club has enough electronics and agreement to run electronics. Either way I'm gonna eat my bologna sandwich with lays potato chips and talk with folks that's the best part about shooting

Since his match is done, and I hope it went well, I wanted to hijack the thread for just a second while we wait on his results. Where can I give this a run in west TN? I'm right between Memphis and Nashville. Some of the resources I've used aren't too clear on whether matches are still happening at certain clubs.

So it went pretty good. Shot factory ammo (Fed GM 185 Bergers) in a rifle I had just screwed the barrel on headspacing with 3m scotch tape and it did great! I had a great time and plan to return for more matches. I added some weight to my rifle and upgraded my bipod...I will start loading some 308 ammo soon to try and get a little more competitive. so thanks for all the input

Reactions: unleashedprecision