• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long distance shooting

Jytarget

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Hey all. New to long distance. Just purchased a Barrett MRAD .308. Will acquire a .300 NM soon. Want a reasonable, simple but quality piece of glass to get out to a max of 600. Thanks for any advice.

$1k-$1500. Obviously if I could go out further, great. I am just limited on ranges in Houston, TX. More important is being able to learn easy with it.

You have a MRAD but want a 1-1.5k scope? Take the time and save up for a used Schmidt and Bender at least. They can be had for 2300 bucks avg. and you’ll be glad you did. If you’re dead set on a cheaper scope a used vortex razor gen ii 3-18 or 4.5-27 is a good one, used leupold MK5’s 3.6-18 or 5-25, or a Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 or whatever their mag range is.

I was at the range 2 days ago and there was a guy there shooting vintage sniper class at 200. We went to the 1000 yd range and I was trying to walk him into my steel 10" gong at 1000 yds with s 2X SCOPE. Came within a few inches. The guy was pretty good.

You have a MRAD but want a 1-1.5k scope? Take the time and save up for a used Schmidt and Bender at least. They can be had for 2300 bucks avg. and you’ll be glad you did. If you’re dead set on a cheaper scope a used vortex razor gen ii 3-18 or 4.5-27 is a good one, used leupold MK5’s 3.6-18 or 5-25, or a Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 or whatever their mag range is.
Just don’t need the distance. Money isn’t a big issue - but don’t want to buy a Ferrari to drive to the mailbox.

Reactions: simonp
Just don’t need the distance. Money isn’t a big issue - but don’t want to buy a Ferrari to drive to the mailbox.
In this case it’s buying a Ferrari just to put a 300 dollar set of tires on it when in reality it needs a set of p zeros. Even a s&b 3-12 or 4-16 would be plenty for 600 yards. Trust us when we say you will enjoy a higher quality scope. Especially when you’re behind it, whether it’s frequently or infrequently.

There’s been some 4-16 atacr scopes going for $1700-$1900 on here recently. Nice option. I love mine. The other scope I have and am very impressed with is the Athlon Cronus BTR. Which you can find used around $1200

I would not buy a 1-4 as you’ll want to go longer eventually and will want more magnification. I’d be looking 4-16 or 5-25 etc range. Also nice having the extra magnification for load testing

I'm relatively new to long range shooting and my local range maxs @ 700 yards. I recommend that any scope you buy is first focal plane and the reticle and turrets are in mils. I have a Nightforce SHV 4-14, a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 and a Bushnell DMR 3-21. All have decent glass, track well, have simple but workable reticles, and are reasonably priced between $800 and $1200

In this case it’s buying a Ferrari just to put a 300 dollar set of tires on it when in reality it needs a set of p zeros. Even a s&b 3-12 or 4-16 would be plenty for 600 yards. Trust us when we say you will enjoy a higher quality scope. Especially when you’re behind it, whether it’s frequently or infrequently.
Haha. Well the Ferrari was too good of a deal to pass up, relatively speaking. I have a Rec7 DI that I love, so figured the MRAD would be good as well. If I hang on to it, I would upgrade later, just wanted something effective to have some fun and learn about the rifle some.

Reactions: UpSideDown
There’s been some 4-16 atacr scopes going for $1700-$1900 on here recently. Nice option. I love mine. The other scope I have and am very impressed with is the Athlon Cronus BTR. Which you can find used around $1200

I would not buy a 1-4 as you’ll want to go longer eventually and will want more magnification. I’d be looking 4-16 or 5-25 etc range. Also nice having the extra magnification for load testing
Thank you!

I'm relatively new to long range shooting and my local range maxs @ 700 yards. I recommend that any scope you buy is first focal plane and the reticle and turrets are in mils. I have a Nightforce SHV 4-14, a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 and a Bushnell DMR 3-21. All have decent glass, track well, have simple but workable reticles, and are reasonably priced between $800 and $1200
Thanks!

If you want 1X on low end I’d suggest the Burris XTRII 1-8 made by LOW in japan. A bit heavy but solid. 8X will treat you better

Is this Leupold good? Any insight where to find a good option used? Been looking on TX fun trader.

Attachments

• E8972433-45CB-42FE-AA7C-EEB8B0779CCC.png
    E8972433-45CB-42FE-AA7C-EEB8B0779CCC.png
    410.8 KB · Views: 45
Hey all. New to long distance. Just purchased a Barrett MRAD .308. Will acquire a .300 NM soon. Want a reasonable, simple but quality piece of glass to get out to a max of 600. Thanks for any advice.

dsg has had this trade-in listed for a while. You might be able to get it cheaper.

Reactions: Jytarget
Is this Leupold good? Any insight where to find a good option used? Been looking on TX fun trader.
Lots of people run them. A good place to look is on the PX here. If you can wait until 100 posts then do, otherwise spend the 40 bucks for the 101 posts and get you a good deal.

I would suggest buying used from the forum here and get the best you can afford. If you really want to go as cheap as possible to start learning you can go with an SWFA fixed power, then when you get enough exposure and experience and you decide which top tier scope you want and take the plunge. There are so many good options these days.

Reactions: deersniper

@Jytarget you have a mrad! buy this used and you can take it to a mile! this is the best value scope on the market today with the best warranty

Reactions: Steel head

@Jytarget you have a mrad! buy this used and you can take it to a mile! this is the best value scope on the market today with the best warranty
or buy a brand new one for $1600? that's not a good deal at all

also...600 yards max? skip the 300 Norma please and thanks

or buy a brand new one for $1600? that's not a good deal at all

also...600 yards max? skip the 300 Norma please and thanks
Thanks for the really helpful advice I guess.....I won’t use the .300 NM at 600 yds, appreciate the assumption. My family has land in Minneapolis. However, when I go there I usually rack on one of my uncles optics he uses for elk. Please and thanks.

Reactions: b6graham
For those with relevant advice, appreciate you taking it easy on me. Came across this locally on what seems to be a decent deal. Very used to MOA, but thinking I could handle MIL...this a decent piece?

Attachments

• 7313A18C-7784-4406-9C65-1FAA09B95497.png
    7313A18C-7784-4406-9C65-1FAA09B95497.png
    509 KB · Views: 56
When you put it like that you’ll get a bunch of 1-4 and up to 1-10 suggestions or a fixed power 10x.
Leave some room to grow into the scope. If you’ll be shooting a ffp scope and dialing the mag to ten all the time don’t buy a 5-25. 3-18 range is perfect. I say that because if your just going to dial the magnification back half way or more then the reticle is going to shrink to much in my opinion or at least for eyes in my experience.
I’d recommend 3-18 range up to a 5-25 based on your needs and being new to the game also getting that 300nm. You might move or discover a longer range. If so you won’t be looking to upgrade to more scope. Those mag ranges seem to be the best all around for majority here. Try scopelist or eurooptic they usually work with you a little on price for being a hide member. I’m pretty sure euro has that scope for the same price but is paying the tax right now and includes free shipping. The upgrade for 101 post is now $50 and it’s worth it.

For those with relevant advice, appreciate you taking it easy on me. Came across this locally on what seems to be a decent deal. Very used to MOA, but thinking I could handle MIL...this a decent piece?
I made the switch as my buddy I shoot with shoots in Mils and makes ease of communication easier as we have a common system. Its also faster to dial and keep track of during matches IMO. That’s not a bad scope to get into either. May i suggest calling MHSA Or Europtic and see if they have any demos or what kinda deal they can get you on package deal NF if that’s the scope you’re seriously considering.

Thanks for the really helpful advice I guess.....I won’t use the .300 NM at 600 yds, appreciate the assumption. My family has land in Minneapolis. However, when I go there I usually rack on one of my uncles optics he uses for elk. Please and thanks.
a new razor gen 2 for $50 more than a used one is good advice

and you said getting a 300 NM and shooting to a max of 600 yards. so eh idk what to tell based on your OP but given the info we had a 300NM is too much

that's not a good price and optics planet is a joke.

a 5-25 atacr is not twice the scope as a razor gen 2 and i'd never pay close to that when they go for sub $2500 all the time used, hell even the 7-35 routinely go for well sub $3k

support a Hide vendor and you'll get better pricing to boot

Anything for now to get you shooting. But I would save your money and buy yourself a razor

Reactions: ArtMofungo
a new razor gen 2 for $50 more than a used one is good advice

and you said getting a 300 NM and shooting to a max of 600 yards. so eh idk what to tell based on your OP but given the info we had a 300NM is too much

that's not a good price and optics planet is a joke.

a 5-25 atacr is not twice the scope as a razor gen 2 and i'd never pay close to that when they go for sub $2500 all the time used, hell even the 7-35 routinely go for well sub $3k

support a Hide vendor and you'll get better pricing to boot
As the post said - I found one locally on the 5-25 NF. $1800. That’s just the photo.

MRAD's are gangster.

I don't think there is any reason for a 1x bottom end. I think that the 1-6 on one of my rifles is quite boring, I can hit a man sized target at 500 without much issue with a second focal plane 6x but it's not a fun shoot.

With scopes you don't pay for the magnification, as much as you pay for the range of magnification, among other important things. I think if you're inside 600 yards you might appreciate the 4.5-27 Razor, or something roughly around that. I have a 3-18 Razor and I love it, and have no issue finding and holding over a target at 1,200. Having more magnification makes it easy to see your holes in paper without using a spotting scope.

You'll immediately hate a 1x. It isn't a thick-woods hunting gun. Enjoy the wonders of optical magnification.

I started out with nightforce optics but switched to Vortex Razors. Great scopes for the money and lifetime warranty. You can find them at Expertcity.com for half off if Mil or First Responder. Mine is a freaking tank though which some may not like. I do miss the weight of the NF NX8.

A pair of these. I used mine on my 1Kyd 260 for a couple of years worth of regional F Open 1Kyd NRA sanctioned comp.

I own three, and have had one of them in use for going on ten years.

Clicks could be a little bit more firm, and the 44mm Objective is not ideal in low, low light; but the magnification range is outstanding, the image is crisp, and at this price owning three was still well under a grand.

These scopes are a well kept secret despite me blabbing them a couple of times a week.

Oh, and there's the 1/8MOA clicks with 40MOA of Windage & Elevation. The data sheet is incorrect; they are Exposed Turrets.

Product Information

Finish Matte Black
Waterproof Yes
Weight 26 Ounce
Tube Diameter 30mm
Power Variability Variable
Minimum Power 8
Maximum Power 32
Adjustment Click Value 1/8 MOA
Adjustment Type Click
Exposed Turrets No
Finger Adjustable Turrets Yes
Turrets Resettable to Zero Yes
Zero Stop No
Turret Height High
Fast Focus Eye Piece Yes
Lens Coating Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty Limited Lifetime Factory Warranty
Rings Included No
Sun Shade Included No
Lens Covers Included Yes
Reticle Mil-Dot
Reticle Construction Wire
Illuminated Reticle No
Holdover Reticle No
Reticle Focal Plane Location 2nd
Parallax Adjustment Side Focus
Fog Proof Yes
Shock Proof Yes
Overall Length (A) 16.25 Inches
Eyepiece Bell to Objective Bell Length (B) 6.15 Inches
Objective Bell to Turret Length (C) 2.7 Inches
Eyepiece Bell to Turret Length (D) 2 Inches
Eyepiece Length (E) 3.85 Inches
Objective Bell Length (F) 6.25 Inches
Objective Diameter (G) 2 Inches
Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.71 Inches
Objective Lens Diameter 44 Millimeter
Eye Relief 4 Inches
Field of View @ 100 Yards Minimum Power 9.3 Feet
Field of View @ 100 Yards Maximum Power 2.5 Feet
Maximum Windage Adjustment 40 MOA
Maximum Elevation Adjustment 40 MOA
Sun Shade Length 3 Inches

The Target Dot version JarheadAZ review is mine.

Greg

Last edited:
I started out with nightforce optics but switched to Vortex Razors. Great scopes for the money and lifetime warranty. You can find them at Expertcity.com for half off if Mil or First Responder. Mine is a freaking tank though which some may not like. I do miss the weight of the NF NX8.
This^^^ And if you are a Mil/LEO/Veteran, there’s several more that offer substantial discounts. I wouldn’t cheat myself when it comes to glass, it’s going to cost you, but there’s one thing none of us will ever get back.....time. A cheap scope will cost you money and time. The glass itself doesn’t need to be the absolute best, but the mechanics of it better be. Good luck.

He did say something about money is not the object....sooooo.... ZCO 5-27 with the MPCT3 reticle.....also....kittens die when you shoot 300 Norma Mags at less than 1000 yards.....don't be a kitten killer!

Reactions: ArtMofungo
I shoot on a budget and shoot Burris. If you are not shooting extreme low light they work well. I use the scr reticle available in moa or mrad.