• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New to Long Range Shooting - Help with Scope

btoor2413

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2012
Franklin, WI
Hey everyone i'm fairly new to long range shooting and I am in the market for a new or used scope. I am looking to shoot out to about 600 yards. Also I would like to use MOA since I dont know how to use mil dot yet. I am thinking about spending 500-800 dollars. Thanks for the help guys.

Re: New to Long Range Shooting - Help with Scope

No expert but I'll chime in with my $.02. Seems a lot of guys like the Sightron line up for less expensive glass, though new you'll be maxed and then some for you're budget. Look in the for sale board for some used glass. There is a Sightron 8-32 TD right now for sale for $750.
Zeiss is another fine optic with beautiful glass that can be found for very reasonable used prices or check out different dealers for demo units at fantastic prices. I picked up a demo Zeiss, $300 off the going rate, could never tell it from new in box.
Search around this site and learn all you can and then post specific ?'s on different optics, these guys have heard the "which should I buy" song a hundred times and really it comes down to trial and error. A scope to my eye could be shit, you look through it and its perfection.

I personally like Sightron for those distances, but check out the following link:

http://www.samplelist.com/

You do not need high magnification a 3-9X40 should be enough, unless you are going to do precision stuff and a lot of target shooting than go with the higher mags. The guys on the link I provided are great guys, they will hook you up with your specific needs.

If you want top of the line glass you can get an IOR Valdada fixed 16 power for under $800. I recently got rid of my 4-16x50 Vortex PST and got one. The PST is a great scope overall, but their is no contest between them in clarity on 16x. It's less expensive than other IORs because it's a fixed power and the adjustments are in 1/4 moa instead of mil, but that doesn't sound like a bad thing for you. If you're just shooting off a bench it's a fantastic scope for the money. Best place to get one is from Scott at Liberty Optics because he will go to bat for you if their is a problem. You will need to talk to him to find out what kind of deal he can give you. http://www.libertyoptics.com/

Thanks guys I think i'm going to look at a demo zeiss and and sightiron. I dont want a fixed power due to the fact that I want to use it for hunting as well as long range target shooting

If you are looking for the best deal in a cheap scope try the Whitetail classic by Simmons. All Simmons scopes are made in China (like the Barska)except the Whitetail classic which is made in the Philippines. The glass much better than you will find in any other scope at the Whitetail's sale price. They go on sale every year at Midway. Right now the one with the mil-dot reticle is on sale:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168462/...t-reticle-matte
When the one with the truplex reticle goes on sale it is $109. I just bought one for a family member at that price and they are a great deal.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746570/...x-reticle-matte

I think you will be very pleased with the sightron, if you can afford a SIII they have very clear glass, excellent tracking and plenty of adjustment for the distance you will be shooting.

I have been looking at scopes all night and I like the Sightron ones, they are priced nice too. I am wondering if there are scopes with moa adjustment that have elevated knobs instead of the ones that are encased. I think they look cool. I think I saw one that was a vortex viper.

Or does SWFA SS make good scopes, they seem to be pretty cheap, only around 300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am wondering if there are scopes with moa adjustment that have elevated knobs instead of the ones that are encased. I think they look cool. </div></div>

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=168

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48419.aspx

Bad ass scope!

SIIISS624X50LRMOA_Profile.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poorly. Those are garbage. </div></div>

agree,

if your willing to spend near $800

get you a vortex viper PST 6-24x50, will work for later projects and you get moa reticle and turrets if you want.

i just started shooting NRA F-TR @ 600 yards. if your into shooting targets 5.5x21x min. 8x32 is better. not so good for hunting but i went with a 12x42. i see very little difference between $400 and $800 scopes. i would save until i had $1200 and go with the nightforce. under $800 i have looked through the vortex, millett and leupold.

I think I am going to go with the Viper PST 4-16x50 with the MOA reticle. Then I can hunt with it and shoot targets with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I am going to go with the Viper PST 4-16x50 with the MOA reticle. Then I can hunt with it and shoot targets with it. </div></div>I just got rid of a 4-16x50 PST. It will seem alright until you compare it to something nice. If the 6-24x50 PST isn't too much magnification get it instead. I've seen lots of people say it was optically better for some reason. I've only had the IOR to compare it to and the IOR is better.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3088086&page=1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or does SWFA SS make good scopes, they seem to be pretty cheap, only around 300 </div></div>I'm surprised nobody has commented on your question of SWFA scopes. I know they have a big following.

The only reason I don't want to get the 6x24 is that it will be too much magnification for hunting in wisconsin. Where I hunt there are a lot of trees. I looked at the IOR scopes and they are too much.

I have this scope mounted on a 30-06 Tikka t3 lite. I have shot seven hundred yards using only 9 power. It has and adjustable objective which focuses very fast beyond 500 yds. This scope will also give you the elvation you need without using a 20moa base and it should be under $700 dollars. When I bought mine I got it for $499.

Another thing is that their customer service and warranty is unbeatable. They replace your scope with a new one if you break yours regardless of fault.

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=15&id=29

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the sightron a lot and I also like the vortex viper pst, what do you think about this demo leupold vx-3. http://www.samplelist.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P56901.aspx </div></div>You wont find much love for Leupold around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only reason I don't want to get the 6x24 is that it will be too much magnification for hunting in wisconsin. Where I hunt there are a lot of trees. I looked at the IOR scopes and they are too much. </div></div>Right. I just don't want you to spend that much money on something you regret getting(like I did). The 4-16x50 would certainly be a better magnification for what you are doing. The problem with this price range of scopes is that although it will still have short comings, it is also a big investment and whatever you get you will probably have for awhile. The 4-16x50 PST will most likely do everything you want it to do, but the glass quality is just OK. I've never had a Sightron, but with what I hear about them I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was in your position. If I wanted an IOR, but it was out of my price range I think I would give the Sightron a go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do people on this site tend to not like leupold? </div></div>

While the rest of the world was moving the game forward.....they sat on their ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do people on this site tend to not like leupold? </div></div>

That being said above....they seem to be moving again....

lupy just never impressed me, tons of other options for a better price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do people on this site tend to not like leupold? </div></div>It's not that they are a bad scope, but part of what you pay for is the name. I am not impressed with their name and I don't want to waste money on their name. If someone isn't very familiar with scopes they might pay extra for a Leupold because it is a name they know. If someone is familiar with scopes they know that Leupold is neither the best, nor the best deal. Leupold had a real advantage in the market with their reputation and let it slip away. Now they are the ones playing catch up. If I'm willing to pay big money for a name it's not going to be theirs. Even if I insisted on a made in the USA scope I still would not consider them as I would want a Premier or a US Optics.