• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to long range shooting, need advice.

Brawny

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Nevada
Ok, I previously put up a thread asking about what king of setup I should buy and got a bunch of great answers, so here I am again. The thing is, instead of buying a good setup to start with so I could take the equipment factor out of the equation(as I had planned), I was given a gun. My grandpa passes me his Remington 700 BDL in 7mmRM, and even though it has had nothing "special" done to it, I fell in love with it. Now I need to ask the painful newbie questions I have. So, to start, what should be the first steps I take to accurize my new gun. I am buying a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 scope and Badger Ordnance rails and rings (as they were highly recommended to me). I also need suggestions on what type of barrel to buy, as the current one is showing signs of wear, and i'm not sure how accurate it is capable of being right now. Besides that, what are the main things I should do to make this gun a real shooter that I can really learn on? ANY and ALL suggestions are appreciated.

Re: New to long range shooting, need advice.

the best things you can do to increase the rate at which you improve with said rifle is get a trigger that you like, tuned rem or aftermarket and when you get it rebarreled have a brake put on it. this will make your range trips alot more successful and enjoyable. I use benchmark barrels on all my rifles and there contact info is in my sig line if you want to call them and get a quote on time and price.

by the way ballistically it doesn't get much better than the 7rm, i have one that will be done in the next week or two.

Being new to LR I am finding out to ask alot of questions and look at what the other shooters are using for equipment. I bought things that I thought were good enough but found that then didnt work so well and if I would have ask someone they would have told me dont buy that by this.

In all honestly if you are new to long range precision shooting you have to start at the basics. Stick to your rifle now and do a lot of dry firing and practice at home getting your cheek weld and scope clarity. Stick to your stock rifle now and when you start keeping your 3-5 shot groups consistently in the bullseye and can relatively call your shots upgrade to a newer system. I believe the action you have is a long action so your next build can keep the action and put a 300 win mag barrel on it and you are definitely good for 1000 yd shots. Having a stable base, good rings, properly mounted rings, level reticle and bedded stock will all be easy fixes to have an accurate setup for the time being. Don't worry too much about upgrading the scope just yet. Believe me the moment you dive into precision shooting you will be overwhelmed with all the different types of equipment.

it would be better to buy once and cry once for your upgraded set up.

Thanks for all the advice, I am using it every day to improve myself. I do need a new scope however, as the one I have is an old POS. I have been shooting with this rifle twice in the past week, practicing my fundamentals. The rifle shoots great at 300yrds, but I have yet to go to a range where I can shoot further. As pharm suggested, I have been doing dry fire practice fairly often. Hopefully I will start seeing some improvement, as I am excited to finally have the means to start this sport which has interested me for many years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharm762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In all honestly if you are new to long range precision shooting you have to start at the basics. Stick to your rifle now and do a lot of dry firing and practice at home getting your cheek weld and scope clarity. Stick to your stock rifle now and when you start keeping your 3-5 shot groups consistently in the bullseye and can relatively call your shots upgrade to a newer system. I believe the action you have is a long action so your next build can keep the action and put a 300 win mag barrel on it and you are definitely good for 1000 yd shots. Having a stable base, good rings, properly mounted rings, level reticle and bedded stock will all be easy fixes to have an accurate setup for the time being. Don't worry too much about upgrading the scope just yet. Believe me the moment you dive into precision shooting you will be overwhelmed with all the different types of equipment.

it would be better to buy once and cry once for your upgraded set up. </div></div>

Great advice!!!!!
wink.gif