• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New to LR shooting - 700P Opportunity

calawey

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2010
The Heartland
Just getting into LR shooting and my LGS is offering me a NIB 700P .308 for $825. Is this a fair deal?

After doing some research, I'm also aware that many have gone with an SPS Varmint or Tactical and replaced the stock.

Is the HS stock on the 700P worth the extra $225 or so I'd be paying?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

That sounds like a fair deal to me. What you pay for the rifle will seem insignificant compared to what you will spend on ammo & accessories.

That's a very good deal....matter of fact, it's not far from dealer cost.
The HS stock that comes with the 700P is much better IMO than the SPS stocks.....but, it depends on your ultimate goal - Are you planning on changing stocks no matter what anyway? If so, maybe the 700P is not your best option when you're considering overall cost.

That's a good price. I would snap it up. And yes, you are better off with the HS stock than the rubber Hogue stock.

That's a very good deal....matter of fact, it's not far from dealer cost.
The HS stock that comes with the 700P is much better IMO than the SPS stocks.....but, it depends on your ultimate goal - Are you planning on changing stocks no matter what anyway? If so, maybe the 700P is not your best option when you're considering overall cost.

If I can get started w/o having to change the stock, it'd be all the better. At the end of the day, looking for great out of the box value that's going to last me and perform when I need it to.

I really like the HS stock on my 700P. Of course, it's not adjustable, but it fits me quite well.

There is also a different finish between the 700P versus the SPS varmint and tactical. So you can factor that into the price difference.

If I can get started w/o having to change the stock, it'd be all the better. At the end of the day, looking for great out of the box value that's going to last me and perform when I need it to.

The 700P will do what you're looking for then. The only thing it's lacking is the threaded barrel.

I originally went with a SPS with Hogue stock. Stupid idea. Then I spent $200 on a used HS on ebay just to replace it with, when I could have bought it factory to begin with. Just do it.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll report back when I have more...if I can't find the answers elsewhere in the forum to the questions I'm sure I'll have...I know I can count on the members.

Regards.

I bought at 700P LTR this past spring and it came with the XMark Pro...either way that is a great price.

Can I ask who your dealer is?
I'm going to buy a 700P in 300 Win Mag and can't get under a $1,000.00 yet?
Buds is out of stock at $950.00 +-

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

I would say go with it if you like the HS stock. Personally I don't hence I got a R700 SPS and trashed the stock it came with and threw on a McRee's. More expensive yes but definitely worth every penny.

Can I ask who your dealer is?
I'm going to buy a 700P in 300 Win Mag and can't get under a $1,000.00 yet?
Buds is out of stock at $950.00 +-

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

The deal is done. Now I just need glass and rings. Cannot wait.

The dealer is Rhine Group Firearms: 762SASS.com :: www.762sass.com 515-963-3484

While they don't have a huge selection in their shop, they will order for you and do quite a bit for the Des Moines PD and other area departments.