• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to me 300RUM

Dirknar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2006
Spokane WA
rem 700 sendero sf in a pss stock. I just picked this up used and then put it in the stock and sold the orginal stock. I bought the Leupy 6.5-20 TMR from big river tactical (best price out there). I just got out this morning and shot it. I only had 175-SMK's on hand so I tried them out.

It was also very windy. these are 3-shot 100yrd groups, Using Retumbo and Win mag primers, in the 3150-3200fps range. I think I can do better groups, I caught myself flinching a little too. Let me know if anyone has more load data. I would like to try the 200smk's when I can get them.

100_2524.jpg

100_2521.jpg

Re: New to me 300RUM

I just picked one of these up myself. Havent had the time to shoot it but will be running 190 bergers over Re25 and maybe some 7828ssc in Nosler brass. My bud who has one swears by the H1000.

I assume your flinch came from the recoil of that beast....I put a 38 oz scope on mine with steel hardware hoping the weight may tame it a little....also have a Vais sitting in the safe if I am too much of a puss to handle the recoil.
laugh.gif

I use 208 gr. A Max and retumbo powder in mine and this works real well to 1500 yards have not shot any further but see no problems. You really need a brake though and that will cut out your flinching. You might also think about taking the but pad off and adding a few pounds of lead shot.

Yep this thing has some recoil.. Its like shooting a 3" 12ga. shotgun with buckshot. I am really thinking about putting This brake on it. Because most of my shooting is in the prone.

http://www.defensiveedge.net/products/point%2075%20brake/DE%20.750%20BRAKE.htm

The only problem is I'd like to use it as a hunting rifle so I deffinatly need a removable brake and adding weight isnt really what I want to do either.

I might turn it into a 338EDGE one of these days too. But im deffinatly going to shoot the barrel out first.

I have read good stuff about H1000. I couldnt find it anywhere and considered myself lucky that I found some Retumbo.

Thanks for the advice on the 208 A-max. I didnt think about this one because Ive got the older Hornady book and they dont show that bullet..
1500 yards, heck ya thats my goal with this thing. I dont know how the sendero barrel will do but we'll see.

Nice Hit Scott! Sierra needs to make Varmint grenades for the RUMS.. They could call them the Varmint-bombs.

I have a DE brake on my 300RUM. It works great. I am shooting the 200Accubond at 3280fps out of a 27" Lilja.

Sounds nice Cinch. any pics of your setup?

Has anyone tried the 130-155 grner's , particulerly in the A-max?

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera at the moment. I left it in my work truck this winter and it froze. It doesn't look like anything more than an old style Remington Sendero at first glance. It's had the action trued, Sako extractor, Wyatts extended magazine box, Timney trigger, 27" fluted Lilja with the DE brake, factory Sendero stock, bedded, BO rings and base, Leupold mark4 6.5x20 TMR. It was built by Kirby Allen in FT Shaw, MT. If I can get someone to shoot a few photos, I'll email them to you.

Oh dont go through any trouble.. it Sounds nice. Do you have to remove stock material for an extended mag-box.

I love my 6.5-20 TMR. I have a 4.5-14TMR on my .308 and I thought this one would be perfect on my 300

Yes, I believe the stock has to be milled out for the mag box. I'm pretty sure it is not a drop in fit.

I have 4 loads on some right now and they seem to still be ok. It's not the best brass, but it will have to do until Lapua brings some out. I haven't heard anything good about the Nosler or Federal, but I haven't used any myself.

Great lookin' stick! I've got a 700p in 300 RUM that I slapped in an A-5. The gun weighs probably around 16 1/2 pounds with a holland QD brake im straight spoiled when it comes to recoil. I love the 300 ultra. You may like the brake.

My gun likes the 210 Berger VLD's with Nosler Brass running 89.5gr of H1000 @ 3025fps. It isn't the fastest load i've worked up, but when you've got a cartridge that is spittin out 1776 ft/lbs at 1000yds its hard to be worried about 50fps or so. Good luck with your rifle! Looks great!

Thanks for the info Cinch and Cross C. Sounds like a nice rifle Cross. Ya after putting 20rnds through it and getting blurred vision for a 1/2 after shooting, I think I'd better put a brake on it.

how often have you guys needed to clean the bore with this cartidge? This is my first magnum so I'm learning all I can.

how long is the bore-life? I've heard 15-2000rnds before accuracy starts dropping off??

Not very long, I think your about right on barrel life depending on how much you feed her at a time, creates alot of heat. Mine kicked like a young mule kicking down hill. lol

Mike

I have never shot more than about 20 rounds without cleaning. I'm not saying it needed cleaning, I just couldn't afford to shoot any more! Those 200gr Accubonds are not cheap. I just got some 208 Amaxes to try. If I can get them to shoot, I'll use them for screwing around and keep the Accubonds for hunting. I think you are about right on barrel life.

Hey Guys. I just got back from shooting another 20rnds through the Rum. I was flinching really bad the first 6-8 shots, then I started dry fireing on the target and started getting better about it but I was still flinching. Its total mental for me.. It really doesnt kick that bad.. True after about 20 shots your pretty much done but its not like it bruises your shoulder.

I loaded more powder this time. 97.5gr Retumbo 175 SMK's with velocity's from 3298-3322. with most of them hovering around 3314 or so.

First pic is the best group I got and Im positive I flinched on the highest one and pretty positive I flinched on the second highest shot..I was going for a 5th shot when the middle pic happened?? Dead Primer??

These groups are @ 200yards.

Are the primers in the bottom pic too flat?
100_2535.jpg

100_2543.jpg

100_2539.jpg

Nice hit on that prairie dog. I have not hunted them myself but own a very accurate 300 rum. Good choice in caliber.

I think I left the primers ive been using (above pic) in the heat.. I was shooting again the other day and I think I had a delay fire..?? I heard the firing pin hit the cartidge.. is this dangerous?? should I throw out the primers? there the only large magnums ive got and nobody in town has anymore..

Groundhog/Woodchuck.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USAshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice hit on that prairie dog. I have not hunted them myself but own a very accurate 300 rum. Good choice in caliber. </div></div>