• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New (to me) DiamondBack DB10

BAMAboy18

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Picked this up 2 weeks ago for $1200 with a Vortex strike eagle 1-8x24 & 2 boxes of ammo.
Shot it last week just to check function. Spent cases were 5-6' at 5:00, under gassed??
I worked on it Saturday, I changed the trigger, furniture and upgraded the rings to a cantilever mount. I cleaned and lubed everything (it was pretty dirty & dry), but when I tried the stand up test, the bolt failed to support the BCG, I guess I need new gas rings? I was told it was only about a year old. Is it possible to wear out rings that soon?
I'm new to the AR platform, so still ignorant, but I am learning. Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_130620522.jpg
    IMG_20220621_130620522.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 162
Reactions: bfoosh006
Gas rings are cheap, and I need a few extra mags. Only other upgrade will be a muzzle brake, I already have it, just didn't have my wrench the other night. I need to sight in the scope and I'll know then if it improved any.
Thanks guys

.308 BCG won't stand up without falling even with new rings. The weight of the carrier is too much so that test doesn't apply to the large frame rifles. In fact some large frames have been known to function without any rings at all, its not a good idea but it just goes to show that test is invalid.

I like the McFarland one piece rings and I keep a few on hand. Buy some rings and put it in your kit but keep shooting what you have until you start to experience malfunctions.

.308 BCG won't stand up without falling even with new rings. The weight of the carrier is too much so that test doesn't apply to the large frame rifles. In fact some large frames have been known to function without any rings at all, its not a good idea but it just goes to show that test is invalid.

I like the McFarland one piece rings and I keep a few on hand. Buy some rings and put it in your kit but keep shooting what you have until you start to experience malfunctions.
With one piece rings that test isn't valid even for an AR15.

Reactions: BAMAboy18

Getting ready to order a couple, thanks!

Reactions: GhostFace
If the round count is low, (less than say 500), then the BCG needs a LOT of oil inside and out. Until well broken in, the large frame ARs tend to need a lot of lube or they will malfunction more frequently. There are many brands of ammo that are under-powered as well-try a few different ones before deciding it's under-gassed.

Federal American eagle 150 grain FMJ
As long as it is 100% functioning... I'd consider my self lucky to have such a "mild" ejection. Large Frame AR's tend to be overgassed, which has its own set of issues / problems.

It also could be still breaking in. And ejection could "improve" after breaking in / smoothing out of surfaces.

I figured I'd try and ask questions here before starting a new thread;
So I guess Im building a 2nd upper; I picked up a *unfired* BA 16" 6.5cm SS barrel for $50 and for another $60, 3 boxes of ammo a few weeks ago. Today I ordered a stripped upper from Diamondback. They list 16 &18 tpi, but only had the 18 in stock. Their handguards come with 2 barrel nuts, the one I want is out of stock, I signed up to be notified. they use the Armalite 45° slant cut, but everything else is supposed to be DPMS (high profile) compatible, so I may shop around for the parts to complete it.
Big question is; am I okay to just swap my BCG back and forth? And, are most forward assists interchangeable, or are they proprietary to caliber or brands? I've never assembled one to know, all my others are slick side, sans a FA.

I figured I'd try and ask questions here before starting a new thread;
So I guess Im building a 2nd upper; I picked up a *unfired* BA 16" 6.5cm SS barrel for $50 and for another $60, 3 boxes of ammo a few weeks ago. Today I ordered a stripped upper from Diamondback. They list 16 &18 tpi, but only had the 18 in stock. Their handguards come with 2 barrel nuts, the one I want is out of stock, I signed up to be notified. they use the Armalite 45° slant cut, but everything else is supposed to be DPMS (high profile) compatible, so I may shop around for the parts to complete it.
Big question is; am I okay to just swap my BCG back and forth? And, are most forward assists interchangeable, or are they proprietary to caliber or brands? I've never assembled one to know, all my others are slick side, sans a FA.
Many do not recommend sharing a BCG between two uppers, I'm in that camp.
That BA 16" 6.5CM barrel is probably mid length gas and will have pretty high pressure at the gas port, it will take some skill to tame. Bolt and FP selection is important, and you'll most likely need an AGB or other means to tune the gas.
The forward assist on the DB-10 is up at the deflector, compared to something like the Aero M5 upper where the FA is located as far back as possible. This becomes an issue when the serrations on the tail of the carrier don't extend all the way to the body of the carrier. It's not as much of a problem as it once was due to most carrier manufacturers addressing that issue. Here's a couple pics as a general example, but I'm not saying that either of these specific BCG's will or will not work:
308blackHPBCG.1.1.png

IMG_0220.jpg

I did buy a new BCG/CH & an adjustable GB yet to assemble it. I went ahead a picked up the barrel extension lapping tools from Midway, both AR-15 & AR-10. Only thing I'm missing is some SS shim stock. I got a wild hair and purchased another 13.5" 308 upper and a stripped lower, getting in deeper than planned. Honestly what I really wanted, but couldn't justify the cost, was a POF Revolution, I had already bought the DB-10 & extra barrel before hearing about the Ruger SFAR (but don't think they're offered in a pistol?).